When did ABC Classic FM become so crap?

rossb

If we broaden the OPs question beyond sound quality I’d say ABC FM has always been ordinary. 

They only ever played the safe composers and classical forms -the canon 

Edited by djb
  • Like 2

When I try to listen to ABC Classic it's often a struggle and mostly end up switching to ABC Jazz where it invariably stays put at least 4 times longer. This is despite me actually preferring classical over jazz music and I often feel the same as in the @djb comment above. Too safe and designed for the widest appeal. May as well play freakin Andre' Rieu non-stop if you're after mass appeal. Radio station needs to do more than just this. Needs to challenge explore new horisons - otherwise it's a stale canon-navel gazing.

• Like 1

I want to elaborate on why I think ABC classical is good.

It's mostly that the music seems to suit the weather.

I'm not sure if this just relates to Melbourne? But the music always seems apt for the weather. I don't know how they do it, but it seems to work.

For me, classical is more about suiting my mood, and my mood is affected by the weather. I think ABC aces it in this department. They also seem to get the music right for the time of day, so I think the programming is clever and intuitive. My colleague at work agrees with me about this.

Edited by eltech

@eltech reading your take on ABC Classic, I don't know - maybe my previous comment was a bit harsh/jaded. It clearly works for some people, maybe even most. I certainly am not getting much from their programming and maybe I am missing the point or expecting too much. Maybe I actually do like jazz and alternative (Double J, Three D, RRR) better than classical.

(read following at 4x speed)

***authorised and approved by - another pointless post by @zippi. your votes in NSW state elections will be much appreciated, although I live nowhere near the Blues state.

On 03/05/2016 at 4:18 PM, analog brother said:

i used to love jazz track!!!!

is it on currently on some other station?

Just move to PBS.  Have a look at their site - can stream all their jazz shows, with playlists supplied!

https://www.pbsfm.org.au/jazz

For that matter, why not try MBS for jazz and classical?

https://3mbs.org.au/

we are spoilt rotten with awesome public radio - rrr, pbs, mbs.  And that’s just Melbourne!!  Subscribe (not compulsory by the way) and enjoy!

Remember, commercial radio harms you and those around you.

Edited by Mat-with-one-t
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/03/2018 at 12:29 PM, Kurti said:

G

Hello,

I just started the petition "ABC Radio online sound quality/bitrate" and wanted to see if you could help by adding your name.

My goal is to reach 100 signatures and I need more support. You can read more and sign the petition here:

http://chn.ge/2tzpa0j

Thanks!

signed - y only 47 so far?? cmon guys! we need to protest like them yello vests about this !!