rossb

When did ABC Classic FM become so crap?

I have recently re-acquired a tuner - a Naim NAT05 to go with my new Naim Supernait 2 - and as a result have been spending a lot more time listening to ABC Classic FM than I have for some time.

In the pre-internet radio days I used to listen to ABC Classic FM for hours every day. It was generally excellent - knowledgeable presenters with pleasant voices, new releases programs, jazz on the weekend and late at night, new music programs, and lots of international concerts. But internet radio and the 96kbps cap on the ABC caused me to look elsewhere for a few years.

I have been listening again to Classic FM on my new tuner, and now there are none the things I used to love about it. The presenters generally seem to have irritating voices and no more than a rudimentary knowledge of classical music, and for most of the day it is endless hours of short popular classics. There is the occasional concert from a local orchestra but, apart from the sunday night opera, none of the great international concerts they used to get. No more jazz, no more interesting new music programs.

I suppose funding cuts are to blame. Which is sad, because it used to be a great station and now it is mostly rubbish.

Somehow I always had one of the worst receipts from that station too, which made me give up the tunas. 

Just a couple of years ago the wheels seem to fall off. Long time presenters left, management got rid of Jazz Track and down the toilet it went.

Edited by Hergest

All stations in the ABC stable have gone way down hill since the newer styles of management took over 10 - 15 years ago.

Their main aims now are to not be too white, not be too male, and not be too old.

Cheers,

Jason.

Edited by koputai

i used to love jazz track!!!!

is it on currently on some other station?

For a while it was moved to lovely high quality AM Radio National at some time in the evening but I don't know if it's still there. You can get it on digital radio. It used to be a great way to spend a few hours on Saturday and Sunday afternoon with it on ABC Classic. I'm at a complete loss as to why it was removed, it's not as if it was replaced by nothing to save money and somehow I doubt Mal Stanley was on a million dollar contract.

More concerts would be nice.

Andre Ren-zzzzzzzzzzzz. Well not yet but it could be around the corner.

They are featuring the Brisbane Baroque festival at the moment, which is a positive

Funny, i thought the jazz was still there. Hasn't been gone for long as i am sure I heard it about 3 months ago. Might have been 4zzz, but yeah, i though it was on the ABC also ( jazz show that is).

Whole world is goning down the toilet clearly. Someone at work was compalining about a grey house trend now. Boring shits that own grey cars want a boring **** grey house just to make it easier to sell. Really. Is that what it comes down to. There is a reason i have a red car and a house with a red roof, its the reaction to the homogenisation of everything. All the choice in the world, but i will go with what least offends people (groan).

Grey houses, next they will want grey children.

post-107315-0-27742900-1462275302.jpeg

post-107315-0-44051100-1462275316_thumb.

post-107315-0-77961500-1462275332.jpeg

post-107315-0-45997100-1462275345.jpeg

post-107315-0-93889200-1462275360_thumb.

post-107315-0-09758500-1462275380_thumb.

post-107315-0-50147800-1462275400.jpeg

Edited by Briz Vegas

Have to agree with you @@Briz Vegas about the grey houses, I phuquing hate them with a passion. Why on earth would anyone want to have such a drab and soul-less monochrome-scheme for the place where they live? Really? I ask you. And do not get me started about those odd rectangular columns that pass for door ways in these new grey places. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Agree a gutless shut down by ABC management

Jazz gone

modern classical gone

The traditional classical is grey or do I have to type gray these days

The same canon of traditional baby food fare they dished out for 50 years

I've go to PBS and MBS in Melbourne