Sign in to follow this  
THOMO

Old Coral kit speakers

It's more complicated than that. There are other well-regarded Coral FR drivers, e.g. the 4A-70 and so on.

Then there are the Coral coaxials, in 6", 8" 10" and I think 12" sizes. Add to the mix the drivers sold under the "Peak" name.

Michael Otto's excellent archive has lots of info and specs: http://new-hifi-classic.de/Gallery_MO/index.php?cat=25

cheers

Doug

D'oh! Forgot to mention the Sony & Sanyo "Holey Basket" 4" full-rangers.

I have a pair of the lighter colour Sony's playing in Zigmahornets. Nice.

Edited by Brisso57

Interestingly, a pair of the 12SA-1 kit speakers has just appeared on fleaBay, but the seller is apparently unaware that they are a kit. If there's anyone local to the seller looking for something to suit a low power valve amp, then go for it. The rated sensitivity is 95dB.

cheers

Doug

PS If anyone who is an SNA-er buys them, stay in touch please, it'll be good to swap notes as we renovate.

They're a bit of a bargain IMO.  Perfect for the low cost BFYB system that was being discussed in another thread.  I'm sorely tempted to adopt them as they are local to me and look like they deserve a good home.  But, I don't use the ones I have so it seems silly to add more.  Surely someone will snap them up soon? :confused:   It certainly underlines the fact that good sound on a budget is totally achievable.  These would pair happily with a range of low budget vintage amplifiers.

It's more complicated than that. There are other well-regarded Coral FR drivers, e.g. the 4A-70 and so on.

Then there are the Coral coaxials, in 6", 8" 10" and I think 12" sizes. Add to the mix the drivers sold under the "Peak" name.

Michael Otto's excellent archive has lots of info and specs: http://new-hifi-classic.de/Gallery_MO/index.php?cat=25

cheers

Doug

I was just mentioning the top of the pile Corals, That's a great Coral archive page, very informative. I have the Beta and general  Coral brochures. Bought a pair of Beta 10's back in the late 70's, just $230 the pair new, had the five port boxes made for them at an extra $300. Sob..... sold them, before I knew better! Yep, Peak were made by Coral, the 8 inch coax's pop up from time to time, not expensive. Also of note are the early Pioneer PAX full ranges, they had a weird phase plug that looked like a light bulb.

Also of note are the early Pioneer PAX full ranges, they had a weird phase plug that looked like a light bulb.

The Pioneer PAX range had the tweeter in the middle in a co-axial arrangement - no special phase plug. 

pioneer_zpsfcea06f9.jpg

I suspect you are thinking of some of the Lowther range, which had some very bizarre-looking phase plugs, some in the shape of a lightbulb.

lowther_zpsaa1649f7.jpg.

Edited by Tony M

I recently saw a pair of vintage National 8'' speakers at Garry Cawseys' factory that had  an intricate double diaphragm cone  arrangement with a bulb style plug.The type No. is either 8P-WI or EAS 20 PWO9.They were mounted in enclosures,so I could not indentify the  actual version used.

I recently came into possession of the 12SA-1 kit. It's complete, with manual, in it's original box. Not sure whether to attack the project or not.

They do sound interesting...

I recently came into possession of the 12SA-1 kit. It's complete, with manual, in it's original box. Not sure whether to attack the project or not.

They do sound interesting...

Does the kit include TKD cabinets?

I recently saw a pair of vintage National 8'' speakers at Garry Cawseys' factory that had an intricate double diaphragm cone arrangement with a bulb style plug.The type No. is either 8P-WI or EAS 20 PWO9.They were mounted in enclosures,so I could not indentify the actual version used.

Ah, dad (skippy124) has a pair of speakers featuring those type of drivers - possibly the Technics SB-65? Edited by pete_mac

6BF0C9FB-A402-4EB9-95CE-7E5FF526C519.jpe3F6FBD1C-020A-4C80-A7DD-6CCF252273F8.jpe

Hi all,

Again dragging up an old thread!

I pulled apart an old bar which had these attached in the arch above the bar. They’re in great nick because they’ve been enclosed for so long. I’d generally just like to know if they’re worth much and if anyone could give any advice that would be amazing. 

Cheers!