Sign in to follow this  
catman

'Quiet' phono stages.

G'day all, I'm having fun with this Rothwell 'Simplex' phono stage and the more I listen to it, the more I love it, and the more one becomes aware of 'little' things in playback. 

For example, and I haven't yet worked out why, record noise, scratch and just pure and simple surface noise seem much less apparent with this phono stage. 

This is not imaginary!  Over the years I have heard phono stages where such record noise seemed very apparent indeed, mostly op amp designs, but not every op amp design I've listened to. 

However this Rothwell 'Simplex' phono stage makes every record sound like it's just been washed/cleaned.  Curious, but welcome!  Regards, Felix. 

Edited by catman

You're getting into money spending territory finally Felix welcome aboard :D

I can think of 2 reasons why surface noise 'disappears' with this phono stage, Felix (one good ... and one bad! :D ):

• the good one is ... it has a good level of 'head room' built in.  AIUI, surface noise results in a much higher signal-level being input - if the headroom (the voltage on the rail(s) relative to the gain of a stage) is such that this surface-noise input does not cause clipping of said gain stage ... surface noise is much less noticeable.
  • the bad one is ... maybe it has rather a rolled-off HF response?

Andy

PS:  Given that it's powered by a 24v wall-wart ... why don't you try you SLAs on it and see how it compares. :D

Edited by andyr

G'day mate, no rolled-off HF response!  Regards, Felix.