Sign in to follow this  
stevoz

Vincent PHO-8 phono pre amp.......first impressions.

Not to say of course that I'm not open to more increments of improvement, :lol: what Valves are we taking @okitoki and what sort of dollars. Over time I might stave off the urge to upgrade again, having left a doubting worm in my brain that I short-changed myself, by ding a little tube rolling.

46 minutes ago, Grimmie said:

Not to say of course that I'm not open to more increments of improvement, :lol: what Valves are we taking @okitoki and what sort of dollars. Over time I might stave off the urge to upgrade again, having left a doubting worm in my brain that I short-changed myself, by ding a little tube rolling.

Im out of the country at the moment so can't remember the model of the tube. My friend who recommended me the tube seared by some NOS tube but I just bought a cheaper one at around $50 ebayed and the result was good enough of an improvement..... 

I'll find out from him

1 hour ago, Grimmie said:

Such a beautiful stereophile statement: 1st comment: 'I'm extremely happy' and the very next comment....'you have improvements? bring me these improvements!'.

This sums up most of us all perfectly...the lovely mix of happiness / enjoyment and never being quite satisfied!

5 hours ago, Grimmie said:

Friend replied and said it was a Mullard ECC82 12AU7 made in GB ???

BTW there is an entire separate thread on 700 tube rolling...I had no idea what I was reading but it was kind of educational...and @lovetube then listed some of the 12au7 tubes on the classifieds...that was a few weeks ago though...

so 12au7 is the tube type and you can get different company's...OK....sounds fun!

Hello friends, Although I am in doubt of which to buy, I have already conversed with a friend engineer who manufactures DIY amplifiers. He recommended me, in the case of the 700, to a tube GE 6189 (12AU - NOS).
Change of "opamps" component for BURSON and change of capacitors inter stages for JANSEN, silver séries.

Plenty of ways to go for an incremental improvement then. Might give time for the warranty to run out before I nullify it with internal component changes but will have to find how to book-mark this page and in future the worlds my oyster. Won't be needing the Ascention,  Sutherland or Whest after all.

I bought one of these about a year ago and I'm quite happy with it. It is my first separate phono stage (was using a mixer) and for the money it would be hard to go past. Good clarity, tight bass and crisp highs but it lacks warmth and can be a little forward and analytical at times. To address this I run a Yaqin CD3 tube buffer after it which results in a very pleasant all round sound. 

To my ears the MM section is much better than the MC (no loading options). I was running a 2M Silver cart through the MM section, then got DL-301 MK2 for the MC. The improvement was about 10% which I was a bit disappointed with. I put a Little Bear head amp between the TT and the MM section and the improvement is about 20% compared to the 2M Silver. 

In hindsight I should of looked for a sub $1k tube phono, but it's been a fun journey and I'm happy with where my setup is at. 

Edited by Abstract

Hi lads. Proven that I stay with MM (Clearaudio Performer v2, Nagaoka MP-500) and MM only, would I be sustainably happy for years with the PHO-8? Just bought one on a whim  :)

50 minutes ago, Topclassier said:

Hi lads. Proven that I stay with MM (Clearaudio Performer v2, Nagaoka MP-500) and MM only, would I be sustainably happy for years with the PHO-8? Just bought one on a whim  :)

Yes mate. Very good Phono pre for the money.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Topclassier said:

It was a productive whim indeed.....I predict you will be very satisfied.👌

Read this: https://www.devotedtovinyl.com/whats-the-best-phono-preamp-under-500/

Edited by stevoz

Posted (edited)

Just got a Selby email and noticed this:

https://www.selby.com.au/electronics/turntables/phono-pre-amps/vincent-pho-500-phono-preamplifier.html

The Vincent PHO - 500...... RRP $849.

Vincent PHO-500 Phono Preamplifier

Edited by stevoz

I wonder how much better than the PHO-8 it would be, I love my PHO-8, had it a year or so now.

Carts are MC - AT OC9/III MM Shure V15 type III.

1 hour ago, Batty said:

I wonder how much better than the PHO-8 it would be, I love my PHO-8, had it a year or so now.

Carts are MC - AT OC9/III MM Shure V15 type III.

Aye, at more than twice the price of the PHO-8 it would want to bring something new and better to the party. 

Have any other gurus here had a look at the specs and can they shed some light on where the price difference might lie?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jebediah said:

Aye, at more than twice the price of the PHO-8 it would want to bring something new and better to the party. 

Have any other gurus here had a look at the specs and can they shed some light on where the price difference might lie?

I just checked them and the spec's appear to be identical (same THD, S/N ratio, input and output impedance, input sensitivity and amplifier gain)......but the PHO-500 has a USB output.🤪😕

Must be some component upgrades you would think to justify that price difference but the PHO-8 is heavier, weighing in at 2.7kg's all up whereas the PHO-500 weighs 2.4kg's all up. Strange.....🤔

PS: I'm no guru though!🙂

Edited by stevoz

Posted (edited)

Thanks Steve. I just checked the specs against the PHO 701 and it seems very similar as well. Similar price point to the 701. I think I'd rather the tubes myself ;)

Edited by Jebediah