Roon Discussion Thread

5 hours ago, Peta said:

Roon is good. It can get better. It needs to get better at classical music and large collections. It needs to be decluttered so that features you don't want are hidden away (shuffle etc) through options. It needs to recognise local artists such as Spectrum and Cybatron and not assume they are some US outfit. They say they are working on it. By and large it improves each release.

IMHO the limitations of jriver etc continue each release. Mostly those limitations are around sound quality and wanting to take over your collection and update metadata (much the same as Roon).

Nothing is perfect in this world and it is often a matter of choosing which compromise you are prepared to live with. Pity the discussion gets heated.

Roon doesn't take over your collection and metadata if you tell it not to.

6 hours ago, firedog said:

As with JRiver and pretty much any playback software I've tried. You've just got to learn how to configure it to your liking. 

18 hours ago, firedog said:

I beg to differ by way of detail. You can tell Roon to not Prefer Roon for metadata. Only thing is you need to do that per album. Ie 23,000 or more of them ... I saw some way of doing it in bulk on the Roon forums but even then you have to change that setting for albums you add - about 20 in a good month for me.

• Like 1

On 28/11/2016 at 10:07 PM, Marc said:

Sorry I should have pointed out I have no desire to use a PC in the typical sense near my audio system. For this reason, Jriver is not an option for me.

As for the "standard" - name one other third party platform (not including lossy - Spotify etc) that has been so widely adopted by manufacturers? I think you'll agree when the next round of manufacturer partners is announced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is not a minor point. The core server/player split is key to taking the PC away from the system. I'm still using a RPi  with an LPS as my endpoint and Roon server sits on the NAS. The RPI sits in the cupboard out of sight, silent. The other options JRiver, Foobar, Audirvana etc all rely on PC to DAC connection. The last software that I loved(and still think is great) using was Squeezelite/LMS and that works the same way. I have used JRiver as well , yes a lot more options but it really is a different set up in my opinion.  

57 minutes ago, Peta said:

I beg to differ by way of detail. You can tell Roon to not Prefer Roon for metadata. Only thing is you need to do that per album. Ie 23,000 or more of them ... I saw some way of doing it in bulk on the Roon forums but even then you have to change that setting for albums you add - about 20 in a good month for me.

On a computer - select one album by right click. That gives you a drop down box where you can select all.

Then press the 3 dot button and hit edit and metadata preference and you can choose your preference for your entire library. Shouldn't be too hard to do as you add albums. Agreed it would be easier as a default option for your new imports.

On 28/11/2016 at 9:07 PM, Stereophilus said:

I tried sans Intona and regen today.  Unfortunately it had no effect on the jumps/skips.  I have contacted Tony who is gonna to try to look into things further.

Tony has established that my Antipodes upgrade has a configuration error.  Back to PMG it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I have a full lifetime Roon membership already. I've purchased a product that came with a 12 month Roon Membership code that I obviously won't be using since I had the lifetime membership already.

If you're interested in 12 months of Roon please PM me directly.

Cheers

EDIT: No longer available

Edited by Em84
No longer available.
  • Like 1

Guest thathifiguy

Currently have my hands on the ELAC Discovery which is a Roon Core in itself. It comes with a perpetual licence for Roon "Essentials" which is a slightly scaled back version of Roon, the main disadvantages appear to be lack of DSD support (of which I have none anyway) and a 30000 saved track limit (again, I only have 19000, so plenty left).

I like it thus far, nice option for those who don't want to bother with a computer or membership fees. Sounds great too!

5 hours ago, thathifiguy said:

Currently have my hands on the ELAC Discovery which is a Roon Core in itself

Thanks for making me aware of this, the one major thing that turns me off Roon is the use of a PC on all the time.

Guest thathifiguy
Thanks for making me aware of this, the one major thing that turns me off Roon is the use of a PC on all the time.

Just keep in mind that this is only compatible with Roon Essentials though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guest thathifiguy

It is slightly scaled back, the key downfall is it only supports a library of 30000 tracks, though this is up significantly from the 15000 it originally launched with.

23 minutes ago, powerav said:

What about computer sleep? My HTPC is configured to have a nap after 10 mins of inactivity. 

Guest thathifiguy
18 minutes ago, powerav said:

Ok, wouldn't have a clue how many files I have, still interesting. I am sure there will be more players like this hitting the market soon.

You can get around this pretty easily provided your own stored collection doesn't exceed 30K songs by creating playlists within Tidal rather than actually saving albums as favorites.

• Administrator

I used the ELAC Discovery mentioned above in my office for a few days. It's a great little unit, especially if the limitations of Roon Essentials aren't a problem for you.

I always run a core (Antipodes DX) so for me, it just doesn't work. But if you haven't already invested in Roon, the Discovery is a great way to buy in.

• Administrator
49 minutes ago, powerav said:

What is the DAC side of ot like?

I can't specifically answer than from an audiophile perspective.

The way I used it was Line In to a Devialet 120 powering B&W flagship in-ceiling speakers.

I have not compared it in my main reference system or against any external DAC.

Guest thathifiguy
What is the DAC side of ot like?

I will be testing out the analog outputs as part of the upcoming review, so I will keep you posted. What I have heard thus far has been pretty promising though.

• 2 weeks later...

Iam looking forward to ditching HQPlayer, but that parametric eq function does not look like a proper convolution engine. I dont think it allows measurements and adjustments based on that, or timing adjustments. 

What does folder structure zapped mean?

• Like 1