Where can I buy unterminated RCA cable for DIY interconnects?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'm going to have a go at DIY.  Will be used with KLE Silver Harmony RCA Plugs.  Looking to spend up to around $30/metre.

Edited by seaninbrisbane

There are a few guys on here that used the Duelund silver in impregnated silk, seemed they preferred the '2' over the '1' as it had more weight to the sound, and had the Duelund signature sound according to them. The '3' was not available at the time and is only a recent addition.

Edit: it is costly, but maybe the negative return can be copper and only the signal in silver.

Just a thought.

Edited by Muon

If you can find it Belden 89259 is excellent for shielded cable (one of my interconnets uses this with Furutech FP 106 R plugs).  I think Blue Jeans Cable sell it.

I am using some KLEI Copper plugs with older style DNM interconnect at the moment and it sounds really great.

Edited by Ronidler
  • Like 1

If you can find it Belden 89259 is excellent for shielded cable (one of my interconnets uses this with Furutech FP 106 R plugs).  I think Blue Jeans Cable sell it.

I am using some KLEI Copper plugs with older style DNM interconnect at the moment and it sounds really great.

I read that the DNM interconnect is fantastic - think I need a shielded cable through.  Thanks

I've read into thos a bit and seen good and bad about 89259. Another to consider is Beldens twin shielded solid core Profibus 3079A of the Seimens equivalent 6X1830-0EH10. @@seaninbrisbane if it interests you I have a 'bit' of the Siemens cable

Looks like the job - but difficult to buy buy less than a couple of hundred metres. There's some on eBay....but from China.  I need around 12m (making 4 x stereo 1.5m).  Thanks for the recommendation.

I almost just ordered Blue Jeans cables again - they're really good value.

There are a few guys on here that used the Duelund silver in impregnated silk, seemed they preferred the '2' over the '1' as it had more weight to the sound, and had the Duelund signature sound according to them. The '3' was not available at the time and is only a recent addition.

Edit: it is costly, but maybe the negative return can be copper and only the signal in silver.

Just a thought.

Thanks, looks nice....but a bit over budget. Maybe next time.

You're certainly on the right path with DIY - all of my recent self made interconnects are significantly better than the store bought ones I have.   Chord Chameleon Plus for example are really not in the same ball park (although some ones made using Van Damme cable made up by a re-seller aren't too made)

My favourites at the moment are DNM cable with Deltron 43-035 plugs (with the DNM wire I think they sound better than the KLEI plugs).

• Like 1

Nickel plated :unsure:

Nickel has a conductivity lower than brass, so what is this Nickel plating over? brass?

Edit: is there any info on the DNM cable conductors? all i can find reference to is being "high purity copper conductors" but they don't specify what they regard as high purity.

Just curious, if it works well for someone, that's cool.

Edited by Muon

Nickel plated :unsure:

Nickel has a conductivity lower than brass, so what is this Nickel plating over? brass?

Edit: is there any info on the DNM cable conductors? all i can find reference to is being "high purity copper conductors" but they don't specify what they regard as high purity.

Just curious, if it works well for someone, that's cool.

Take your point regarding the nickel plating - maybe its a combination of the very low metal content in the plug and the fact that the positive/signal pin is hollow and the signal wire is soldered at the tip of the pin (very short signal path!).   Whatever, in my stereo the DNM/Deltron combo sounds a bit fuller and more dynamic with better bass than the DNM/KLEI combo - with to me no perceptible loss of detail.   I tried the Deltron plugs because I remember in years gone Rega terminated their phono leads with them.

Interestingly DNM used to sell their interconnects with Eichmann Bullet termination but now sell it with what looks like an even cheaper version of the Deltron plug.

Edited by Ronidler

Take your point regarding the nickel plating - maybe its a combination of the very low metal content in the plug and the fact that the positive/signal pin is hollow and the signal wire is soldered at the tip of the pin (very short signal path!).

Yes, those things seem a proven advantage, I just like my metals ;)

Edit: mind you, I don't like soldering nickel It can be a PITA.

Edited by Muon

Found some info re DNM wire - this is the newest version, not what I have.

http://www.dnm.co.uk/datasheets/stereointerconnectall.pdf

Looks like a high resistance so not sure on that purity of conductor.

Says resistance 0.134 ohms/meter

Just for comparisons sake, Van Damme states Conductor resistance Ohm/km 24.50, and if we take the stated per meter resistance of the DMN cable and multiply 0.134 by 1000 we get per km of 134 ohms compared to the 24.5 ohms per km for the van damme 268-501-000 that is 2x 0.75mm in conductor size.

Or maybe i have calculated it incorrectly?

http://www.van-damme.com/25.html

No doubt the DNM wire might be cheaper than the van damme studio wire.

Anyway, I was curious on what DNM consider "high purity" and I think I have an idea now.

Just to make the above clear, I used the thinner speaker cable from van damme as a comparison, as the IC cable from van damme is screened and states capacitance but not resistance.

My reasoning was more so to compare conductor purity, as with DNM's stating "high Purity" for their conductor I wanted to see what they regarded as high purity.

• 2 weeks later...

The Blue Jeans site has info on the Belden cable, as a result I bought some low-capacitance 1505F for a long rca cable.  Note that some Belden cable is not flexible, which may make using the interconnects difficult (the 1505F is flexible).  Canare GS-6 is highly regarded as interconnect.  It can be bought by the meter from a store (in Canberra?) with free postage.  Once you have identified what you are interested in buying, Google within Australia should identify outlets.  My 1505F came from an AV installation company that sells the cable by the reel, but fortunately they had offcuts in the length I needed which they sold for a nominal amount. 

The Blue Jeans site has info on the Belden cable, as a result I bought some low-capacitance 1505F for a long rca cable.  Note that some Belden cable is not flexible, which may make using the interconnects difficult (the 1505F is flexible).  Canare GS-6 is highly regarded as interconnect.  It can be bought by the meter from a store (in Canberra?) with free postage.  Once you have identified what you are interested in buying, Google within Australia should identify outlets.  My 1505F came from an AV installation company that sells the cable by the reel, but fortunately they had offcuts in the length I needed which they sold for a nominal amount. 

You are certainly right about the Belden cable being very inflexible - the thick teflon insulation for the signal wire is very stiff.  

Duelund is pricey but not for the results.  I used the Duelund 1 for + with Neotech copper for the - to keep the price down.  Used KLE also but silver plated copper RCA's.

Have also used the Jupiter silver with cotton sleeve in a valve amp and it's very good, maybe just as good. 

Or check this guy out:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/navships?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

Have purchased from him and all good. Pre-twisted and individually shielded etc

• Like 1