8 hours ago, kukynas said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_HD_Blu-ray again, why do we need 10Gbps cable if standard 4K UHD BD bitrate is 128Mbps

Because that is rate that compressed data comes off the media (the compression is part of the bluray disc format, not HDMI)

Then it is uncompressed.... and then sent over a HDMI interface.    The data rate requirements for the uncompressed picture are up to 18gbps for HDMI 2.0 ... and up to 48gbps for HDMI 2.1+

Although most people won't need these ultra high data rates now, as they're only needed to support things like 8K pixel layout, and extremely high colour depths and refresh rates.

7 hours ago, kukynas said:

if we are done (and I believe pretty soon) with physical disks and media why do we need HDMI cable with such high bandwidth if we just exchange BD player HW with our current TVs capable of unpacking and streaming same format/codec as today's physical disks.

Indeed.

If the compressed media can be sent over a network (or some other interface) right up to the display ..... then the only point that HDMI will be used will be within the display (to transmit the picture from the decoder 'computer' to the actual display part) .... and so HDMI will only be running over PCB traces inside the TV .... rather than over a cable between two boxes.

However, these data rates are in theory a problem for a cable - other systems such as displayport and USB are using similarly high rates....  it's just that the design of the HDMI connector/cable is pretty bad.

Well in the search for an HDMI cable that will work without issues for 4K UHD at longer lengths such as 10m or more, as many of us with projectors need to run, I've decided to try a Clerity Fibre OOptic HDMI cable.  They are certainly not a cheap option at these lengths but with the first disc having just come out that runs at 4K/60p which will severely test most cables I thought I should give this option a go.

I'll be hooking it up tomorrow and then seeing how it goes but the disc in question, Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, only shipped yesterday from Amazon so won't be able to give it a full work out until that arrives.

The cable is much thinner than normal copper HDMI, the last pic is the CT next to a normal HDMI, and the HDMI connectors are detachable so feeding through a wall or in my case conduit that will be going into the wall, should be fairly easy.

A132E825-2F22-4493-9C4B-E1679AB074A8_zps

CA3FF6AF-420D-412B-AC49-47824985068D_zps

AACACFE6-5F0A-4DA2-ADDE-2523EF12B6B1_zps

5974A282-F632-4C31-A138-F1D80336CCA9_zps

I've run the CT cable, temporarily around the room, and connected it to player and PJ (not running UHD payer through the AVR.

Turned everything on with the settings I had for the Kordz cable and everything fired up as expected.

Played a bit of the disc that was already in the player, all fine.  :)

Had a play with the settings on the Oppo and changed them to the following, Output Res: Source Direct, Colour Space:YCbCr 4:4:4 and Colour Depth: 12-bit.

Unlike before the CT cable I had picture on both the Oppo menu 4K(3840)50 and the movie 4K(3840)24, getting the Oppo menu to play on source direct was not possible with any other cable.

I had read reports from other Oppo owners that source direct resulted in a better/crisper pq but was doubtful as I'd not been able to check for myself but I'd have to agree with their assessments.

So far in this short bit of testing this cable seems to live up to it's claims, will be interesting to see how it copes with 4K(3840)60 when the Billy Lynn disc arrives in a week or two.

JVC info while on the Oppo Home screen

746c8969-dd5f-4975-931e-a54c84a66831_zps

JVC info with disc playing.

B66A4067-6C03-4500-ADEA-902726C63EC7_zps

Edited by Kazz

kazz, I dont know if billy turned up for you today. was a suprise to find the postman with mine ! just normal post from amazon :)

32871662032_849604cc9f_b.jpg

I couldnt wait to pop in the player. I made sure the pana was set for 4k 50/60 output

pana shows this on home menu once selected

32212233533_9fa1354511_b.jpg

and jvc shows the below,

32871657942_eed56b2a89_b.jpg

once movie gets up and going pana reports 4k60

32645175960_d142c30668_b.jpg

and jvc reports as per below,

33027244345_98780eb4fa_b.jpg

just gave it a little run just to see if works. long synch times.... and not even shutting the blinds for day time viewing very obvious ! hits you in the face !!! my GOD ! is this some of the MOST stunning pics have seen on the jvc ???

Goodness it looks stunning. cant wait to watch at some stage...when get come time. the detail the richness of pics ! 

and guess what it has a FULL 3D audio atmos track to boot ! what a treat in store :)

15 minutes ago, :) al said:

kazz, I dont know if billy turned up for you today. was a suprise to find the postman with mine ! just normal post from amazon :)

32871662032_849604cc9f_b.jpg

I couldnt wait to pop in the player. I made sure the pana was set for 4k 50/60 output

once movie gets up and going pana reports 4k60

just gave it a little run just to see if works. long synch times.... and not even shutting the blinds for day time viewing very obvious ! hits you in the face !!! my GOD ! is this some of the MOST stunning pics have seen on the jvc ???

Goodness it looks stunning. cant wait to watch at some stage...when get come time. the detail the richness of pics ! 

and guess what it has a FULL 3D audio atmos track to boot ! what a treat in store :)

Tracking says mine hit Melbourne this morning so hopefully tomorrow or Thursday, I'm really looking forward to having a look at this one.

Your enthusiasm on pq has got me really hoping it comes tomorrow.

Edited by Kazz

17 minutes ago, Kazz said:

Tracking says mine hit Melbourne this morning so hopefully tomorrow or Thursday, I'm really looking forward to having a look at this one.

Your enthusiasm on pq has got me really hoping it comes tomorrow.

But is it a good movie? I found Lucy to be 2 hours I'd never get back despite pretty images.

Might have to borrow this from Al one day and see whether my 7.5m Kordz will cut the mustard...

1 hour ago, blybo said:

But is it a good movie? I found Lucy to be 2 hours I'd never get back despite pretty images.

Might have to borrow this from Al one day and see whether my 7.5m Kordz will cut the mustard...

It's a blind buy and I've read varying reviews on the movie itself so I guess I'll find out on the weekend (hopefully).

I didn't mind Lucy, will likely watch it again.  :P

1 hour ago, blybo said:

hehe yep blind buy here too, i dont mind lucy either though... yes gets a bit naff at the end but most of it I enjoyed :)

*** GOLD *** courtesy of bobp over on avs, :D

Imagine No More Handshakes,
It's Easy if You Try.
No HDCP Either,
No DAMNED HDMI.

Imagine All the People,
Enjoying Their TV!

You May Say That I'm a Dreamer,
But I'm Not the Only One.
I Hope Some Day that you Can Join us,
And the World can Watch as One.

--Bob

2 hours ago, :) al said:

*** GOLD *** courtesy of bobp over on avs, :D

Imagine No More Handshakes,
It's Easy if You Try.
No HDCP Either,
No DAMNED HDMI.

....   No way.     I was certain... just CERTAIN, this was leading to a line with "SDI".

How disaapointing. 

Well HDMI (even over fibre) certainly sucks!!!

My $400 Clerity DFO cable worked superbly for the first month..................and then crapped it's pants.  :emot-bang:

Had to return it so it go to the distributor for testing but the store I bought it from are now refunding me the purchase price.

So back to the drawing board I guess. :emot-bang:

Lucky I still have my Kordz cable running through the wall.  :wacko:

35 minutes ago, Kazz said:

Well HDMI (even over fibre) certainly sucks!!!

My $400 Clerity DFO cable worked superbly for the first month..................and then crapped it's pants.  :emot-bang:

Had to return it so it go to the distributor for testing but the store I bought it from are now refunding me the purchase price.

So back to the drawing board I guess. :emot-bang:

Lucky I still have my Kordz cable running through the wall.  :wacko:

That's disappointing - did they say if it was one of the signal converters that failed?

12 minutes ago, Quark said:

That's disappointing - did they say if it was one of the signal converters that failed?

No I have no idea what the issue is, I get the feeling the store are refunding me as they're getting the run around from the distributor and don't want to muck me about any more.

I agree that HDMI does indeed suck. The pre-hdmi days, connections worked, no issue, as it were a simple connection.

7 hours ago, Kazz said:

No I have no idea what the issue is, I get the feeling the store are refunding me as they're getting the run around from the distributor and don't want to muck me about any more.

kazz this is a real pity to hear, though thank goodness for your retailer to save you the run around ! I guess still a bummer to have to pul out and swap with something else, but atleast not left with a dud. thank goodness have the kordz.

I noted arrowav on avs mentioned he had some duds with measuring some celerity as well. but surprised to hear one failed in use. like you looking forward to his testing results.

ps the ~$60 office works comsol still works by the way ! even for billy lynn if looking for something cheap. not had one bother wiht it and the pana in the months using it. good return policy as well if not happy for any reason :)

Below is the kind of thing as scary reminder of how stuffed the current hdmi situation is. here you have someone with perfectly capable gear. and using what is a premium certified cable .... and it doesnt work. and yes I confirmed he got it from the mono price store direct and with the premium certified label etc. just goes to show there are literally no guarantees and the "premium certified" labelling is NO guarantee at all either....

as an aside my non "premium certified" labelled 10m cable is still working fine....

"Just want to add to the data base: Neither of these 2 cables works for my system - Oppo 203 straight to JVC RS500 projector.

Monoprice 25 ft: "Certified Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, HDR" as described on ebay, $29.
Blue Jeans Series 1 about 40 ft: Not a surprise that at 40 ft it doesn't work. This is my hometheater's existing cable that was pulled through wall a few years ago.

I have read on here that Blue Jeans Series 1 at 30 ft doesn't work reliably either, so am ordering the 25 ft version that is certified to work. It seems 25 ft is the cutoff for copper based HDMI cable. Will report when the Blue Jeans Series 1 is here."

On 4/26/2017 at 9:46 PM, :) al said:

kazz this is a real pity to hear, though thank goodness for your retailer to save you the run around ! I guess still a bummer to have to pul out and swap with something else, but atleast not left with a dud. thank goodness have the kordz.

I noted arrowav on avs mentioned he had some duds with measuring some celerity as well. but surprised to hear one failed in use. like you looking forward to his testing results.

ps the ~$60 office works comsol still works by the way ! even for billy lynn if looking for something cheap. not had one bother wiht it and the pana in the months using it. good return policy as well if not happy for any reason :)

Yep I wasn't pleased but at least I hadn't actually gotten it in the wall yet, I was being super cautious and wanted to give it a good long run before it went in wall and it looks like it was the right thing to do.

The kordz however is still in the wall/roof so I'll stick with that for now and just leave the colour space at 4.2.0.

I could get the comsol but I'll wait now until we see what HDMI 2.1 brings and then consider my options.

I'd forgotten what a pain being an early adopter can be until 4K.  :wacko::P

22 minutes ago, Kazz said:

Yep I wasn't pleased but at least I hadn't actually gotten it in the wall yet, I was being super cautious and wanted to give it a good long run before it went in wall and it looks like it was the right thing to do.

The kordz however is still in the wall/roof so I'll stick with that for now and just leave the colour space at 4.2.0.

I could get the comsol but I'll wait now until we see what HDMI 2.1 brings and then consider my options.

I'd forgotten what a pain being an early adopter can be until 4K.  :wacko::P

good move not going in wall kazz, and yeah goodness knows what 2.1 brings :D  and yeah not a bother really, the kordz does work as found for uhd so got covered.

Arrow AV has been very busy with some rigorous testing and I've attached below as pdf Part 1 of the report outlining the results ....

this is a little US centric with cables we dont all necessarily get access to, but there are some we can indeed buy and ofcourse it doesnt include cables more localised to our markets e.g. the kordz and comsol for instance that have been found to also work here.

HDMI CABLES PERFORMANCE EVALUATION & TESTING REPORT #1 ~ 50FT 15M+ LENGTH CABLES.pdf

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now