Sign in to follow this  
powerav

Got some funds for a new AV Reciever

Hi all due to selling a Yamaha Rx a2000 and scratching around I have got around $3000 for a new AV Reciever. My original plan was to ditch HT all together for a quality 2 channel system but after 20 plus years of Home Theatre being my main hobby I can't let it go..... So what to get. I really am focusing on 2 channel audio, movies are for kids but I still enjoy music concerts in 5.1.

I know Yamaha's are great but for just over $3000 with a bit of bargaining the new Anthem Mrx -720 looks superb. Any one have one yet? Not much info out there yet in terms of reviews.

Anything thing else worth considering such as Cambridge or the new marantz models.

There is a Yamaha av pre for sale at $1500 on DTV and also an Emotiva power amp at $1000.  I would go for those two if they haven't been snapped up.  I think they are better than 1 box $3000 AVR solution.

There is a Yamaha av pre for sale at $1500 on DTV and also an Emotiva power amp at $1000.  I would go for those two if they haven't been snapped up.  I think they are better than 1 box $3000 AVR solution.

Yes there is some great stuff on there but it sells very quick, all about timing but will keep an eye on it now that I have the funds.

People at both DTV and stereo net tend to swap out their gear quite often.  It is always about timing.

Powerav,

As long as you don't need some of the very latest features like ATMOS.........

This Audyssey XT32 equipped Integra combination will TOTALLY DESTROY ANY $3K AVR

www.ebay.com.au/itm/Integra-9-2-Ch-Pre-Power-Combo-includes-DHC-80.2-A-V-Controller-DTA-70.1-Power-/121904822020?hash=1c6217f704

AND...........you STILL have almost $1K left over!!!!!  :)

An absolute "NO BRAINER" ;)

Edited by JohnL

Thinking of this Cambridge Audio CXA 80 with HT Bypass into a Marantz SR5010. what do think? Better than a $2000-$3000 reciever on its own?

Powerav,

As long as you don't need some of the very latest features like ATMOS.........

This Audyssey XT32 equipped Integra combination will TOTALLY DESTROY ANY $3K AVR

www.ebay.com.au/itm/Integra-9-2-Ch-Pre-Power-Combo-includes-DHC-80.2-A-V-Controller-DTA-70.1-Power-/121904822020?hash=1c6217f704

AND...........you STILL have almost $1K left over!!!!!  :)

An absolute "NO BRAINER" ;)

OH WOW, didn't realise that was a Pre /amp set up. Hope it's still there when my money comes in.

Edited by powerav

Very keen now on the integra. Will need that spare grand for a new entertainment unit, they are bloody huge.

have you thought about arcam or emotiva? they are more audiophile based AV receivers.

have you thought about arcam or emotiva? they are more audiophile based AV receivers.

Yeah well that's the issue if you want to stick to home theatre I think you are better off sticking to the big guys Yamaha, Denon, Marantz etc.just can't beat the value for all the features they have. I think stuff like Arcam you are better of with 2 channel, intergrated amp with HT By pass would be the best of both worlds.

Fwiw i use integra for all of my ht installs i think its really good gear.

Yeah well that's the issue if you want to stick to home theatre I think you are better off sticking to the big guys Yamaha, Denon, Marantz etc.just can't beat the value for all the features they have. I think stuff like Arcam you are better of with 2 channel, intergrated amp with HT By pass would be the best of both worlds.

Here is a very cheap solution for you, since you are not into all those new decodings, you can save a lot of money and buy other stuf with left over.

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/100876-fs-yamaha-rx-a3020-av-receiver-1190/

I was happy with 2CH in pure direct mode using external amps with its pre-out, upgraded to 5100 just to have pre/pro setup.

Take a peak at the used items for sale at Tivoli Hi Fi and other major Audio stores that clear out demos and do trade ins, often find hidden treasures that way with a warranty of sorts to boot. That Integra deal is fair value though.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I am put of a bit by the Integra only by the attitude of Ambertech, I asked if the HDMI board had been replaced due to the recall they had. The response I got was pretty much, I'm only the sales guy, i don't have the tech report here. It's been checked and deemed fit for sale.

After all that and after trying try a different flavour I get sucked back into Yamaha. You just can't beat what they offer, power, latest and best dacs, their own streaming service which rivals bluesound......the list goes on. So in fact I am buying 2 already got a Rx-v679 for lounge room and am chasing a 3050 or 3079 refurb. Will then save for 8-9 months for power amp.

Did you look at the new Onkyo units?  These are specifically designed for audio quality and 2 channel performance.  They are superb sounding units imo and probably the best AVR's on the market for musical performance.  Better than the ARCAM and CA units that cost significantly more in my opinion.

http://www.selby.com.au/electronics/receivers-and-amplifiers/home-theatre/onkyo-tx-rz900-7-2-channel-network-receiver-txrz900.html

No Onkyo were right off my radar but yes they do look interesting, will have to investigate further. Thanks

Fyi integra is the sister company of onkyo, their stuff has better sound quality due to better power supplies and componetry. They also have more customised settings hence dealer sales only.

Dwayne

Fyi integra is the sister company of onkyo, their stuff has better sound quality due to better power supplies and componetry. They also have more customised settings hence dealer sales only.

Dwayne

Yea was aware of that, I ended with a refurb Integra 30.5 from Amber tech and a Rotel RB 1552 from an awesome Stereo.net member. Very happy with it all. I find the Integra is better than the Yamaha, even the Integra DLNA network is better than Yamaha's Musiccast system.

Now time to start saving for a 3 or 5 channel amp.

I would look around 1.5k for a receiver and then buy maybe a Musical Fidleity M3i with the HT bypass on this way you get the best from both worlds.

The M3i has been discontinued for the M3is so should be able to get one a lot cheaper.

Pioneer is my personal favorite in the AVs for now. You'll be surprised at how smooth and neutral the digital amplification sounds. The SC LX 89 is available at 3500 AUD brand new, you might get a good deal if you wait awhile. And then, we can talk about that lovely ES 9018 Sabre DAC... :-)

Pioneer is my personal favorite in the AVs for now. You'll be surprised at how smooth and neutral the digital amplification sounds. The SC LX 89 is available at 3500 AUD brand new, you might get a good deal if you wait awhile. And then, we can talk about that lovely ES 9018 Sabre DAC... :-)

There is no such thing as digital amplification. The amps in Pioneer are most probably class D amps but "D" does not stand for digital. It is just another form of amplification. It is widely used in AV Receiver because of its high efficiency thus compact size.

There is no such thing as digital amplification. The amps in Pioneer are most probably class D amps but "D" does not stand for digital. It is just another form of amplification. It is widely used in AV Receiver because of its high efficiency thus compact size.

I did say digital, didn't I..? (banging head to brick wall) :-)

Edited by cruizer

I did say digital, didn't I..? (banging head to brick wall) :-)

No probs, we r all learning here. :)

Just wondering what your association with www.lithosacoustics.com is? Is that a new brand planing to enter the market in Ozyland?

Ufo, PM sent

Edited by cruizer