Record clamps and Acrylic platters

I've seen TTs with record clamps and acrylic platters. Do they really make a difference to sound? There is a project acrylic platter that I may consider if there'd be benefits . What does the clamp do apart from pressing the record closer to the platter?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a project debut carbon, and upgraded to the acrylic platter, as I wanted to do away with the stock platter and that awful felt mat that just seemed to create allot of static.

The immediate change I noticed was more bass, and it was quiet pronounced. I was shocked swapping platters back and forth afew times and noticing the difference.

Also use a JA Michell record clamp, haven't noticed any sonic improvement but helps keep the vinyl flat with certain types of warps.

Edited by freaky1
  • Like 1

Interesting to know if you needed any adjustments after swapping to acrylic platter. I am assuming the project acrylic platter?

Yep the project acryl-it, no other adjustments

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

No issues with carts, run a 2M Bronze

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

So you're happy with the sound you're getting from your Carbon with the upgrades mate? I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Bronze myself.... Edited by Jebediah

So you're happy with the sound you're getting from your Carbon with the upgrades mate? I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Bronze myself....

yeah, im content with the sound now

The biggest difference came with the 2m bronze, so happy with it. if you do a search i posted a thread of the upgrade including pics

Mark from audio trend do not recommend a clamp or puck for the debut carbon .

should also point out the JA Michelle is a lighweight clamp, not like one of those extremely heavy pucks.

Ah so there is a diff between clamps and puck?

Yep there is, when i was looking into it, afew told me the same thing about not using heavy pucks with the debut carbon.

But i stumbled across quiet afew using the michelle clamps without issue so i followed that route.

Edited by freaky1

thanks for the link freaky1. A good read. I imagine the Bronze is offering up more of itself now that it's broken in.

You've got me a little excited now hahah!

Yep, its opened up nicely now, so much so i am enjoying the table enough that I am not so fussed about my upgrade.

• Like 1

Yep, its opened up nicely now, so much so i am enjoying the table enough that I am not so fussed about my upgrade.

This is music to my ears lol. Pun somewhat intended. Gives me the confidence to continue upgrading along a similar path.

Cheers freaky1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd read a lot that heavy platters and clambs/pucks are bad for Regas - the motor not being specified to turn the amount of extra weight that is getting added to it. I wonder if these upgrades are putting unnecessary strain on other TT components? I'd like to get a clamp or a puck myself (have a few wobbly records that may benefit from it) but haven't been able to decide what to go for.

I'd read a lot that heavy platters and clambs/pucks are bad for Regas - the motor not being specified to turn the amount of extra weight that is getting added to it. I wonder if these upgrades are putting unnecessary strain on other TT components? I'd like to get a clamp or a puck myself (have a few wobbly records that may benefit from it) but haven't been able to decide what to go for.

I'm not pretty good at mechanics, however, I do remember rotating platters have quite a bit of momentum. Once the platter is rotating, the job of the motor is just to overcome the friction to keep the platter at a certain speed. A heavier platter will have more momentum and higher friction, so perhaps it balances out? I think the biggest issue would be when the platter starts/stops rotating, that would definitively put more strain on the motor. Just give it a soft spin with your hand.