Hypex Amps Owners & Discussion Thread

Hi,

Anybody have the Hypex NC400 amps or similar? I've been curious about class d and would greatly appreciate any opinions on the Hypex or ICEpower based amps. Any info on the best place to buy them would be well received too.

Thanks, Legselevens

Edited by legselevens

I've been using Hypex UC180's for years. I don't have anything to compare them to but they sound great to me. I bought replacements from the official Hypex shop and they arrived in a week from Europe.

• Like 1

I have Wyred 4 Sound monoblock class Ds and I love them. Beats the standard class A/B power amps that I could afford before them. I would estimate that I'd have to spend more than double the new price of them on conventional equipment (probably second hand at that) before getting noticeable difference in sound. Cheap to run, great workhorses (I use mine minimum 4 hours daily, at weekends/holidays probably three times that), efficient and give my PMC OB1 speakers plenty of power and control.

That said, many people don't like them, so it is worth discovering for yourself if you can hear some before you purchase.

• Like 1

Hi,

Anybody have the Hypex NC400 amps or similar? I've been curious about class d and would greatly appreciate any opinions on the Hypex or ICEpower based amps. Any info on the best place to buy them would be well received too.

Thanks, Legselevens

I heard Henry's Hypex Class D's ones on his very nice sounding (Rahl or Raven based) speakers at our ASON club meeting, they were good, but Elson Silva's Cymer tube amp wiped the floor with them. The only part they sounded tighter (not necessarily better) was in the bass.

But this is where all Class D's sound good. For them to get up there with good linear amps tube or SS they need their switching frequency to be much higher, some say 10 times higher. But technology has yet to achive this for Class D to become a threat to good Linear amps, I'm sure in the future we will see it but not soon.

Cheers George     

Edited by georgehifi
  • Like 1

George does make some valid points regarding class D amps however as always in Hi-Fi it depends on what you hear. It really is totally personal.

I've used Nuforce Ref 9 V3SE's for almost 10 years and have found that source and preamp make a much greater difference.

I currently use a preamp based on George's own Lightspeed and I find this combination wonderful.

I would like to try a tube preamp now because you only live once!!

But I must say the Lightspeed is really hard to beat for pure sound quality and superb value.

• Like 1

The room in ASON meeting was large and pretty reflective, so i heard some traces of upper midrange harshness.

Ncore is very neutral, it doesnt have any glare, anyone who heard it at my place cant believe that they are listening to class d amp.

• Like 3

MY Halcro MC 20, a d class amp sounds better in my system that the following amps, a pair of VTL mono blocks, a Krell KSA 150 and a musical fidelity power amp, hence the other amps have been sold except for the musical fidelity which is now the spare amp, do not generalise about some of the d class amps. 

Edited by vwo60
  • Like 1

I had a pair of ear 1000 ice modules. Very controlled especially in the mid bass region. Needed careful system matching as could get a little schrill

I have heard that the ICE modules aren't all that good. The Hypex appears to be the best and of course the dearest.

I have heard that the ICE modules aren't all that good. The Hypex appears to be the best and of course the dearest.

ICE modules are not available for DIY, and they do have revisions on their design, some reports indicated that the new ICE modules sounded similar to Ncore, but i have not heard them myself.

ICE modules are not available for DIY, and they do have revisions on their design, some reports indicated that the new ICE modules sounded similar to Ncore, but i have not heard them myself.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ICE-Power-50ASX2-Power-Amplifier-Bang-Olufsen-50-ASX2-/181384044799

These look fascinating, been itching to get one, but I'm already swimming in amplifiers. Although they would be the ideal upgrade for the TK2050 driving the Econowave speakers in my bedroom....

• Like 1

Well thanks for the responses so far. There are many criticisms of class D on the net but often it is when compared to more costly amps it seems. I also wonder what impact the pre amp had on the sound for many.

From most accounts the Hypex modules are the pick of the bunch at the moment. I'm familiar with the ICEpower sound but only just. I have a power amp borrowed from a friend which uses the pretty much stock standard ICEpower ASX2 125 modules. I put it in the system again the other day. My usual amp is a Musical Fidelity A5 integrated which I think is a great all rounder amp. Speakers are Kef reference 3.2 floorstanders. I tried the ICEpower amp with the pre section of the A5 and it was okay but a bit flat and dull sounding overall. I then paired it with a valve pre amp, an Audio Note M1 and it has improved considerably with greater depth and shape to the sound. The M1 has added it's character to the sound but it is very listenable.

I'll be doing more listening and so far I like what I'm hearing but I would love to compare it to a Hypex amp or a commercial version of the ICEpower. Apparently it is how the module is implemented that brings the best performance from stock. Any Hypex owners who have had the chance to compare it with other class D amps? What pre amps are you using or have tried?

@ vwo60, what model Musical Fidelity amp did you keep?

• Like 1

It is a A3.2CR, a very good power amp but when compared side with the Halcro it has small amount distortion in the treble that in isolation you would not pick, next to the Halcro you can hear it, the Halcro has very good inner detail that is very clean, easy to listen to, better image and base. I should also let you know I run a icon Audio valve preamp, a very good match for the Halcro.

Check out reviews of the Rogue and Auralic Class D Amps.

They both use Hypex UCD amps, but only the output stage. They build their own input stages and by pass the one on the Hypex board. Rogue uses tube input, Auralic uses Class A.

Some people like the sound of these better than using a straight NCore400 setup - and better than any conventional amp at near the price point.

Auralic, for one, says the sound of their Hypex UCD amp is very close to what you can get with the best build of an NCore at a lower price point.

Edited by firedog
  • Like 1

I heard Henry's Hypex Class D's ones on his very nice sounding (Rahl or Raven based) speakers at our ASON club meeting, they were good, but Elson Silva's Cymer tube amp wiped the floor with them. The only part they sounded tighter (not necessarily better) was in the bass.

But this is where all Class D's sound good. For them to get up there with good linear amps tube or SS they need their switching frequency to be much higher, some say 10 times higher. But technology has yet to achive this for Class D to become a threat to good Linear amps, I'm sure in the future we will see it but not soon.

Cheers George     

I think the Halcro would more than give the Hypex a run for its money in every department.

The room in ASON meeting was large and pretty reflective, so i heard some traces of upper midrange harshness.

Ncore is very neutral, it doesnt have any glare, anyone who heard it at my place cant believe that they are listening to class d amp.

That, and it's not butter :D

The hypex NCore is the leader in class d technology.

Hmmm not sure I would necessarily agree with that Chris have you heard a run in Halcro?

Hmmm not sure I would necessarily agree with that Chris have you heard a run in Halcro?

I haven't heard a Halcro ... run in or otherwise. Would be happy to listen to music through one if you've got one!

I was careful in what I wrote, I didn't say that everyone would prefer the ncore, just that their technology is the current best. It is okay to have a preference for something else!

The NCore measurements show it to be one of the best performing amplifiers currently available. I've been building opc's amplifiers from diyAudio and have no regrets about chosing them over the ncore, based on measurements. Will be interesting to hear the 3 different power amplifiers of opc's in my system when it is up and running. They require a bit of SMD soldering and DIY electronics effort that is not accessible for everyone (the learning curve/skills/tools aren't ubiquitous) so I have not said that hypex ncore beats all comers. I have not said that hypex sounds best. I have said that the technology in the ncore class d amplifiers is leading the charge for advancement in class d technology and passed no judgement on the audibility or otherwise of differences in amplifiers (that part isn't my game at all)

Chris

• Like 1

I asked Hypex which module sounds the best and is most musical regardless of measured performance and price. The answer came back very loud and clear NC400. If I do another after the Sure it will be a NC400. Normally I build low power SE class A valve amps.