Sign in to follow this  
catman

'Dry' sounding phono stages.

G'day all, when it comes to phono stages I wonder just how audible how even slight ripples in the RIAA equalisation can be?  I ask this because one of my favourite DIY phono stages has a choice of EQ network values (well for the treble EQ anyway), and whilst they both sound fine, one of the them, the supposedly 'more accurate' one, comes across to me as a little 'dry' sounding.  I wonder why? :unsure:  Regards, Felix.        

If I've learned anything with phono stages in the last two years, it's that RIAA ain't RIAA, just like bits aren't bits and oils ain't oils (OK, too far?) :)

Interpretation of "dry" will vary between listeners, but I had an Eastern Electric Minimax I would likely describe drop into that description.

The Pure Audio phono was the first high-end phono pre that brought vinyl truly to life for me, on par with the Modwright, but then the RCM Sensor 2 came along that just does it all. Detail, precision, timing, uncoloured and oh so natural. Easily the best phono stage I've heard through my system, and never crunchy or dry! (anyone remember that TV commercial?)

@@Marc that RCM sounds interesting but the specs say input voltage 0.3 to 5 mV. Does it mean it's not suitable for LOMCs with less than 0.3 mV?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@@Marc that RCM sounds interesting but the specs say input voltage 0.3 to 5 mV. Does it mean it's not suitable for LOMCs with less than 0.3 mV?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Honestly, all the carts I have used have been .3V + so I can't really answer that. There appears to be loads of gain available (selectable DIP switches) though.

Honestly, all the carts I have used have been .3V + so I can't really answer that. There appears to be loads of gain available (selectable DIP switches) though.

Yeah it says 7 step control or something. Looks like I will need an SUT with that RCM.

Yeah it says 7 step control or something. Looks like I will need an SUT with that RCM.

How much less than 0.3 mV is your cart?

The Sensor 2 has a lot of gain ... 76 dB ... with a 2.0 Volt RMS output.

My Cadenza Black is 0.33 mV and I have more than enough gain on just the second highest dip setting.

Unless your cart is an ultra low output I suspect you won't need a SUT with this phono stage.

....... and never crunchy or dry! (anyone remember that TV commercial?)

Actually the line was ... "and never oily or dry"

The commercial was Kraft Peanut Butter :P

Oops, you're absolutely right @@Sierra :)

My memory is failing as I catch up in age to you guys :P

Alan is right too about the gain. My cart is .3mV, and I'm also on only the second highest gain setting.

If you were local I'd bring it around for you to try.

Agree regarding the Sensor.  I also have an RCM Sensor IC, and in my time of hifi, it has been the single biggest and most impressive upgrade.  Incredible PRAT, beautiful fluidity, detail and like Marc has mentioned, no hint of colouration and very natural and true.

How much less than 0.3 mV is your cart?

The Sensor 2 has a lot of gain ... 76 dB ... with a 2.0 Volt RMS output.

My Cadenza Black is 0.33 mV and I have more than enough gain on just the second highest dip setting.

Unless your cart is an ultra low output I suspect you won't need a SUT with this phono stage.

0.12mV :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk