Sign in to follow this  
Cloth Ears

Suicide Squad - One of my pics for 2016

Suicide Squad Trailer #1

Suicide Squad Comic-Con Trailer

Looks like a lot of fun. And word is that Jared Leto's Joker might top Heath Ledger's (certainly looks promising from the snippets contained in the two trailers released so far). Margot Robbie also looks like continuing her meteoric career path, with roles in this (and Tarzan) coming up this year. Will Smith, Jai Courtney, Viola Davis and Ben Affleck in supporting roles won't hurt either.

So what do people think? Frankly, we nearly walked out. It was that bad. The first hour seemed to be spent on introductions aimed soley at laying the groundwork for a franchise, and then all of a sudden you were in the midst of an epic battle/storyline that had no foundations due to the overly long 'introductions'. It was almost as though there'd been a mistake in the editing room... Without warning our heroes/villains are fighting these strange bubble headed alien things - but where did they come from? There had been vague talk of 'building a machine'? What machine? What does it do? Does it kill all mankind or create bubble headed/fly/alien things? The explanation for these things comes a few minutes later. But doesnt really explain anything. Honestly, an overhyped shocker IMO.

Jared Leto does well, but he stole parts (the voice) of Heath Ledgers Joker and while his character would have been pretty special had we not had Heath Ledger... Well, we did have Heath Ledger. Not enough screen time or character development for him. Margot Robbie is hot. Nuff said. And surprisingly Will Smith does really well as Deadshot. The Aussie character Boomerang? He could have been left out. As could the Japanese Katana wielding girl who just kind of showed up somewhere without introduction (overly long or otherwise). Diablo was good. But again, not enough screen time and an attempt at the 'emotional scene' just didn't work due to lack of character development and screen time allowing the audience to have 'bonded' with his character.

All things considered, this Heathen says wait for the Blu Ray and don't even rush out to get that. It's a punisher. Do we now live in an age where big names, big hype and big expensive effects trump plot? I suspect so. Boo.

Guest Sime

I'm only going to watch it to admire Margo Robbie if I'm being honest.

Guest Sime

And I'm over Super Hero movies.

They need to stop. All of them.

I'm a longtime (lifetime) Batman fan and I absolutely loved The Dark Knight trilogy but after seeing Batman V Superman a few weeks back and now this, I'm inclined to agree with @@Sime. I'm done.

Me too, not to mention they will be re-made in another fifteen minutes, going off Spiderman over the last 10 years.

I enjoyed the Dark Knight, Iron Man and Thor. Superman was OK except it went too far in the last scene and yeah, I was done too.

Just came back from this. Great fun. Had no real problem with the storyline. Some characters like the Katana chick were a little superfluous but my biggest disappointment was Leto's Joker. Ledger nailed this character so to follow this was always going to be tough. I think he failed in this instance. To be fair, I've heard that a fair amount of his scenes were cut so maybe that's part of the problem. Nowhere near the best of it's type, it's still a wild ride.

I did see it at IMAX in 3D so, as this was the first time I'd experienced it, it may have influenced me a little... it was amazing to behold.

Cheers

M

Guest Sime

And to be more fair, no one will ever beat Heaths Joker.

I felt sorry for Jarred having being put in the position that'll be rife with comparison.

True, Ledger/Ledgers producer/the movie writers not only re invented the Joker but he/they nailed it 110% in the process.

Ledger Joker is unbearable cute

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Boomerang character was another Aussie stereotype embarrassment and completely useless. The should have used him as the "example" instead of the climbing rope guy. 

Spoilers...

... then all of a sudden you were in the midst of an epic battle/storyline that had no foundations due to the overly long 'introductions'...

I guess you weren't paying attention. That was the Enchantress (who was there in the long introductions) and her brother (Incubus - also in the introductions) being pissed off at the whole human race. Not that I thought they were actually good as bad guys - and defeating witches should have been a bit harder than just fooling them a bit and cutting their hearts out. I actually thought Enchantress was good when in misty black character, but just didn't cut it when she reverted to being a god.

Loved Jared Leto's Joker. Unlike Heaths' earlier version, which was played as real as it gets, Jared's put the Joker firmly back in cartoon land and I loved it. And the 'love story' was excellent and could have been played out a bit more. Whenever Leto or Robbie were on the screen, they stole it.

Robbie was so good as Harley Quinn, she kept your attention even with her back turned!

Of the other characters, Will Smiths' Deadshot was good, only when he was in character. Once he started playing the emotional thing, it went down the tubes (pretty much like all his more recent dramatic roles). I'm struggling to think of anything he's done that was better than "Six Degrees of Seperation".

Boomerang was only good for about three one-liners - which should have been given to another character.

Katana should have played like Miho from Sin City, but ended up being a waste of screen time.

Killer Croc was epic, should have had all Boomerangs one-liners and then some. Want to see more of this guy.

Slipknot - you could have dressed this guy in a red shirt and put him in Star Trek. Was always going to be the first casualty.

Diablo was really good, well developed and totally understandable, as was his final sacrifice. Missed the one liner (cut from the final movie?) where they're in the bar and Harley asks "Watcha having?"; Diablo "Water"; Harley "That's a good idea, honey".

And the Amanda Waller character, sly, underhanded and totally vicious.

I missed not having more of The Flash; and Anvil; Batman had enough screen time, but I'd like to see a movie with a bit more of him and the Joker; every army character was forgettable (except Griggs, who was suitably anarchic).

I guess you weren't paying attention.

I'm far from alone in my assessment though, you must admit. Perhaps I lack the intellectual fortitude required to follow these modern comic-book adaptations? ;)

And maybe you were always going to enjoy it being that you labeled it one of your 'picks of 2016' long before it was released. Not that I'm saying you are wrong - as always, different strokes. I went in quite excited and expecting big things and came away bitterly disappointed is all... I bought into the hype an it didn't meet my expectations. Ah well.

Ledger Joker is unbearable cute

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tkEbWq.gif

:love  :love  :love

Edited by davidro

I guess you weren't paying attention.

I'm far from alone in my assessment though, you must admit. Perhaps I lack the intellectual fortitude required to follow these modern comic-book adaptations? ;)

And maybe you were always going to enjoy it being that you labeled it one of your 'picks of 2016' long before it was released. Not that I'm saying you are wrong - as always, different strokes. I went in quite excited and expecting big things and came away bitterly disappointed is all... I bought into the hype an it didn't meet my expectations. Ah well.

My apologies - I was a bit rude there.

If you take away the CGI stuff and the fact there's no gold to steal, it's essentially an ensemble cast doing something similar to Kelly's Heroes or The Dirty Dozen. And there had been a whole swathe of war movies stretching back to the end of WW2 (a lot shorter run than Marvel and DC - so far). These were a few of the first ones to attempt to do it with consistent humour. And with the Marvel and DC franchises, there are the occasional funny bits ("Puny God!"), but most of it attempts to play the comic thing in all seriousness.

So, from the first set of previews I had been looking forward to it (similarly Guardians of the Galaxy) as a break from the 'serious' cartoon movies. It lived up to expectations (and down to them). It'll never get 4 stars in Leonard Maltin (none of them will), but I'll add it to the collection of $10 Blurays for recycling on a Saturday night if there's nothing better on.

At least, that's how I saw it and see it.

Saw it last, never read or seen a comic , didnt really think much of the first trailers, but the later trailers made it more interesting.

So with little knowledge and low expectations, i saw it last night and enjoyed it, fast paced , action super hero movie. Did seem to jump a bit, so perhaps a longer dvd release might be the way to go.

The characters seemed variable , margie robbie good, jared leto okay limited screen time, but the squad generally seemed unlikeable especially say will smith character, diablo etc.

I thought it funny that boomerang was forever sucking on a tinnie the whole movie, but indeed like the rest of the squad what super powers do they have. Excluding echantress and diablo they still seemed some wanted limited.

But a good brain salad movie all the same.

i think the Huntsman is far more interesting movie than the Suicide Squad, both have similar mechanics and plot... :D

I only watched this the other night, thought it was a fun ride and I think i have a crush on the Harlequin character :lol:

The Joker character was freaky and well done I thought.

Edited by Muon N'
typo