Info on Labcraft TT

So,after looking up and down the internet got a bit of info on it the turntable is similar to the Bang & Olufsen 42 ,the tonearm is one case of crossover ,looks like it is a Jobo all-balance but also is a Acoustical and B&O too ,I guess why this old fella had the three headshels (in the pic from left to right,Jobo, B&O and Acoustical).

The cartridge is a Shure M7d but the stylus is Audio Technical (looks brand new)

Great info about vintage gramophones of Denmark is in here

http://www.grammofoon.com/frameset.htm?index.html&ContentFrame

But still looking for more info...

• 4 months later...

I couldn't find any info on this in the VinylEngine database. 

It is unfortunate that little documentation circulates on models of this era, it is possible that not very much existed when it was released. 

I've sent you a PM with some general thoughts on this table, but as I've never seen one I'm hesitant to put them out in public.  It does look to be a mid-level idler drive from the early 60's.  Probably somewhat better quality than cheap idler auto-changers, and probably not in the high-end Garrard 301/401 league. 

This ebay ad has a pic which shows the badge which is missing near your tonearm pivot. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Labcraft-Type-605-Turntable-Rare-/331940565681?hash=item4d493312b1

This ebay ad is for a brochure for what appears to be a later model to your TT, it is readable when you zoom in. It says that it comes with either a B&O or all balance arm http://www.ebay.it/itm/381395986175

• 3 weeks later...

I have recently obtained the same LabCraft.  It doesn't have the power cord attached.  Can someone advise where to attach it, it is not obvious looking underneath the TT.  (eg. if you have one of these, a photo of the underside would help).

Thanks. 

• 1 year later...
On 29/03/2016 at 3:55 PM, southern_tango said:

Ive recently acquired this one and have set about restoring it. Doesn't need much, new belt, cartridge and new headshell wires. It sounds very nice indeed! Does anyone have a copy of the manual?

fullsizeoutput_4fb.jpeg

IMG_2227.JPG

IMG_2228.JPG

IMG_2229.JPG

fullsizeoutput_4fc.jpeg

IMG_2231.JPG

IMG_2232.JPG

IMG_2233.JPG

IMG_2235.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I  have just pulled my unit  out of the shed where it has been for 30 years! I made this unit up in about 1962. I built a Mullard 10/10 amp (also resurrected from the shed) with some Warfdale speakers (still in the shed). I used a B&O All balance Arm with a crystal cartrige (I did not make a Mullard pre amp  for a MM or MC cartridge as short on money at the time.

However the turntable rubber mat has perished in the hot weather in the farm shed, as has the drive belt. The arm  is complete but the phono wire insulation has perished. The arm has a black counterweight.

I think I will try and restore the turntable just for the heck of it and try and buy a mat somewhere.

IMG_4256.jpg

IMG_4260.jpg

IMG_4261.jpg

IMG_4262.jpg

IMG_4263.jpg

IMG_4264.jpg

On 10/07/2022 at 11:22 PM, blackstone1913 said:

I  have just pulled my unit  out of the shed where it has been for 30 years! I made this unit up in about 1962. I built a Mullard 10/10 amp (also resurrected from the shed) with some Warfdale speakers (still in the shed). I used a B&O All balance Arm with a crystal cartrige (I did not make a Mullard pre amp  for a MM or MC cartridge as short on money at the time.

However the turntable rubber mat has perished in the hot weather in the farm shed, as has the drive belt. The arm  is complete but the phono wire insulation has perished. The arm has a black counterweight.

I think I will try and restore the turntable just for the heck of it and try and buy a mat somewhere.

I've sent you a Private Message, I might be able to help with a mat. 

• 9 months later...

No service manual is around for it.  The most complex part is the wire that is used for the speed adjust, it can be broken.  A new belt can be constructed by joining a 675mm length of 3mm Ø o-ring rubber. 

Thanks for confirming, I did manage to find some information which everyone has probably already seen. They released these with a liftime guarantee for the lubrication of the motor and cam gear so I assume this is why there isn't a service manual. Well its definately been about a liftime since it was relased and the motor in mine definately has a noisy top bearing. It isn't terrible but to my ear it would benefit from a few drops of oil. The actual turntable deck itself also needs to be taken out, sanded back and re-sprayed as its suffered some minor rust damage - probably from being stored in a damp shed or cold roof space. The interesting thing about this unit is that someone went to the trouble of making a custom plinth with inbuilt light and power. I've started restoring this also. Should look awesome when its done.

If anyone has spares for these units I would be interested. In particular the adjustable weight guide that sets the tone arm antiskate resistance as mine is broken on the 650 I have. I will attach some photos of the part I need. I guess it can be fixed but I prefer something original if at all possible.

Thanks again,

Damon

1963 advertisement for Labcraft 605 turntable.jpg

Acoustical 1963 5.jpg

Labcraft 1966 130.jpg

20230508_074241.jpg

20230509_070440.jpg

Edited by Damon Johns
  • Like 1

That's the All-Balance arm (Dutch) pictured  The turntable's on/off switch is connected to the are rest.  The Labcraft was often supplied with this arm or a B&O arm. 

Your arm has the older "rocketeer" headshell, with the front notch broken-off to accommodate the flip-over cart.  The tail of the headshell is also the finger-lift, I'm amused by many I see that have a 3rd-party armlift clipped onto the headshell.  The latter headshell design looks quite boring in comparison.  The bakelite of these headshells becomes brittle where the tonearm connector is, so it's not unusual to find these arms without headshells.  And of course, the headshell/tonearm coupling is unique, so you can't use other headshells.

The arrowed spring should be connected to the underside of the circled adjustable collar.  Twisting this collar can adjust the skating of the arm. 

Edited by audiofeline