Raspberry Pi and DSPeaker

rastus

I have a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B and Geekroo PiFi DAC+ v2.0 (Hifiberry compatible) running RuneAudio for 2.1 speakers music (16bit 44.1kHz to 24bit 192kHz FLAC files mostly) and Openelec for 7.2 speakers movies. I use a Dick Smith powered USB hub attached to the Raspberry Pi for WiFi adapter, portable HDD, and USB Flash Drive. I also have a DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033Cinema attached to my AVR.

I was using the wall-wart power supply for the Raspberry Pi and it sounded good, but I tried a USB battery... this produced a much, much, much better sound from the Raspberry Pi. The lows, mids, and highs seemed so much more pronounced. Especially the lows, where clearer, better definition.

So I got to reading... about linear power supplies. And found an Australian manufacturer of said same... Gieseler. Good call, spankyou berry much. So I'm thinking, a Gieseler PSU to power the Raspberry Pi... would produce nice results (so UN-technical).

But, could this same Gieseler PSU be used on the DSPeaker? I read elsewhere on this forum that people have used a linear PSU for their DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2. How about the Anti-Mode 8033Cinema? If so, then like the results from using the batter with the Raspberry Pi?

Following are the power specifications for the DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033Cinema:

From the manual:

Power consumption: 1.2 W

Operation voltage: 9 VAC or 12 VDC

From the wall-wart:

Input: 100-240v ~ 47-63Hz

Output: 12.0v - 0.6A 7.2w max

So to the questions:

1. A Gieseler single output unit would suffice for the Raspberry Pi alone?

2. A Gieseler dual output unit for both the Raspberry Pi and the DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033Cinema?

3. What about the Dick Smith powered USB hub? Would adding this to the Gieseler PSU mix have an impact on the sound quality? or would something else do the trick?

4. Did I miss anything?

Hi Rastus,

OK some answers.

1. Yes

2. No. The Rasberry Pi 2 needs 5v DC & the DSpeaker unit if powered from DC will need 12v so a seperate PSU's needed for each unit.

3. Possibly - HDD's IMO don't benefit much from better supplies but the flash drive may. You probably you try temporarily powering the USB from a battery supply & see if you can hear a difference.

4. No I think that covers it.

One final comment I will like to add is check & see if the DSpeaker units power pack is a AC output unit. It yes then that is a good thing as it means it is a external transformer & the DSpeaker unit is using a conventional linear PSU setup.

Bottom line - maybe just a single low noise linear PSU 5v DC for the Rasberry Pi would be the best option.

Well Clayton, thank you. As to "...check & see if the DSpeaker units power pack is a AC output unit..." I can't see if the power supply's output is AC or DC... but, I got the following information.

From the wallwart:

AC Adapter

Model: STD-12006E

P/N: CPS-12006EU-3630

Input: 100-240v~47-63Hz 0.19A MAX

Output: 12.0V---0.6A 7.2W MAX

From the internet:

STD-12006U/U1/E/B

O/P Voltage: 12.0V

O/P Current: 0.6A

Watt: 7.20W

http://www.distrelec.ch/Web/Downloads/_t/ds/std05010_eng_tds.pdf?mime=application%2Fpdf

Also, do you supply a power cable with a mini USB on the end to power the Raspberry Pi?

I don't have a Gieseler but I do use a very low noise linear PSU with the Pi and I wouldn't run it any other way. Looking at the Gieseler specs I have no reason to think that it wouldn't be the same positive outcome - I would recommend you try it.

• Like 1

I don't have a Gieseler but I do use a very low noise linear PSU with the Pi and I wouldn't run it any other way. Looking at the Gieseler specs I have no reason to think that it wouldn't be the same positive outcome - I would recommend you try it.

Which PSU did you go with?

DSspeaker Adaptor - looks like the supplied one is DC as 12v is what they specify for DC input.  It is probably a SMPS type so probably not the best for audio.

It might be worth trying a good quality 9V AC type.

eg  http://www.altronics.com.au/p/m9233-powertran-9v-ac-1.33a-appliance-powerpack/

Only $22 so worth a punt. 

Pi power connection - I should be able to fit an XLR plug to suit my PSU on one end of a standard Micro USB cable. Not ideal but no other option unless you want to solder directly to the PCB.

AJ - how did you connect power?

In answer to questions - I'm a hobbyist so I spent time building my own stuff. I have also owned commercial offerings from the likes of Teddy Pardo. Knowing what I now do about power supply - it's not as simple as "linear is better than smps" that is far from the truth. If these Gieseler psu's had been around I'm sure I would have tried one. I also made custom cables but micro usb pretty much always meant I would buy a commercial cable and modify - or equip my psu with USB power port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

AJ - thanks for the comments/feedback. Actually it's a small world - I did see one of your PSU builds once via Jventer (Johannes) I was impressed, nice well contructed unit & still working well. From memory Johannes was interested in adding different dual output voltages which I recomended against.

Rastas - I don't think I properly answered one of your questions which was would one of my dual output PSU's be suitable to power both of your devices. I have been thinking about this & my dual output supply could certainly be configured for seperate 5v & 12v DC outputs. I would fit the correct DC plugs for each device so it would just be a matter of plugging them in & you would be good to go. IMHO & with your two units a good linear a PSU should give a better result than SMPS type. Cost for the dual supply including the correct DC lead/plugs & delivery is $400. Hope this answers your questions fully. Cheers

Edited by Gieseler Audio

• 2 weeks later...

OKies Clayton, here we go...

"...XLR plug to suit my PSU on one end of a standard Micro USB cable. Not ideal but no other option unless you want to solder..." <--- Solder and me do not mix, sad but true.

1. If it is 'not ideal', then would it be a better option for me to buy a micro USB adapter (from say Jaycar) to attach to the end of your cable (not sure about this, good or bad)?
  2. What about equipping the PSU case (back of) with a USB power port? It would not need to be data pass-through as I'm only powering the Raspberry Pi. This option doesn't really matter to me, but if yes, would that drive up (or down) the price?
  3. How long are the attached cables (could not find any reference to the lengths)?
  4. Would a black face-plate be available (would prefer, but not necessary)?
  5. Also amps, what amps would the 5V and 12V supply? I can post all I know about both items' power requirements if you need.
  6. Do you need confirmation on the type of connectors for the Raspberry Pi and DSPeaker?
  7. Should I have sent this in PM maybe?

If I'm being a 'pest', then please forgive me (as I've said already, I really know very little about this stuff, that's why I'm asking so many questions). And man, thanks.

PS: The black face-plate would be nice though, LoL!

Hi Rastus

No you are not being a pest.

1. No don't get the micro USB adaptor. All those adapters add extra resistance & can be flimsy. I can source a good quality micro USB cable, cut one end off & solder it directly into the XLR plug that plugs directly into my PSU. I have a couple of Rasbery Pi's so I can test it with them. That should give a good positive power connection.

2. No - just more unnessary connections.(see 1.)

3. It is best to keep them reasonably short so I usually make them 600mm. You can specific any length up to 1.8 m - no extra cost.

4. Yes black face panels are available.

5. Normally 1.5 amp per output but & I increase a bit if required.

6. The Rasbery Pi ok but I would like the DC plug specification for the DSPeaker.

7. No - On line is fine as it may be usufull info for others.

8. OK back to my Shiraz & a bit of forum browsing.

OKies Clayton, I want this. Let's proceed. One combined unit Gieseler Linear Power Supply for:

• Raspberry Pi 2 Model B / PiFi DAC+
  • DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033Cinema

The default 600mm cable length is good. Good to go!

A black face panel. Good to go!

"5. Normally 1.5 amp per output but & I increase a bit if required."
I was thinking 2A (or more), but if you say 1.5A is good, then I accept your word on it. The DSPeaker only needs 0.6A, but again, I accept your word on this too.

"6. The Rasbery Pi ok but I would like the DC plug specification for the DSPeaker."
The Anti-Mode power connector is 2.1 / 5.5mm.

Just in case you need this information...

From the DSPeaker manual:
Power consumption: 1.2 W
Operation voltage: 9 VAC or 12 VDC

From the back of the DSPeaker itself:
9V AC / 12V DC
http://www.connectedhome.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/8033Cinema.jpg

From the wall-wart that came with the DSPeaker:
AC Adapter
Model: STD-12006E
P/N: CPS-12006EU-3630
Input: 100-240v~47-63Hz 0.19A MAX
Output: 12.0V---0.6A 7.2W MAX

Note: --- = three dots below with a straight line above (means DC?).

From the internet:
STD-12006U/U1/E/B
O/P Voltage: 12.0V
O/P Current: 0.6A
Watt: 7.20W
Source: http://www.distrelec.ch/Web/Downloads/_t/ds/std05010_eng_tds.pdf?mime=application/pdf&ref=727329-in7ae8rppg000bib027re&affmt=2&affmn=1

Tell me what to do next (ie, ordering, money exchange, etc).... I will get on it ASAP. How's that Shiraz?

Regards and thanks,

rastus

Edited by rastus

Hi Rastus,

thank you very much for the order. There will be a slight delay as I am madly (but carefully) building new Klein DAC II's to fill orders.

Should not be long though.

OK please PM me with your email, shipping address & full name & I will get an invoice to you with payment details.

Also what colour panels? Silver or black?.6

Regards

Clayton.