Buying Australian - the only way to go!

Just dawned on me that I can't think of any Aussie phono manufacturer that made a hit.

I know Zaphod would say ME but they don't have a good outboard phono....

Anyone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, I did recently a-b some phono stages in the price range that included the Graham Slee mc + psu & decided on Andyr's Muse - but it's not a 'hit'! Made on order, word of mouth recommendations, ...
  • Like 1

Well, I did recently a-b some phono stages in the price range that included the Graham Slee mc + psu & decided on Andyr's Muse - but it's not a 'hit'! Made on order, word of mouth recommendations, ...

Yeah a word of mouth. Not saying they're no good. Just not too sure about making a hit.

I'm find in Brisbane there's next to no quality gear made in Australia. I keep buying Chinese these days, they hit far above their price point. I do have an Aurealis SUT and IC's, as well as a set of vintage Aussie made speakers with Rola driver's.

Pretty much anything sold by Geoff at Aurealis is hard to beat.

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Guest palexsia

I don't buy Australia own but made in third world country or China . They don't deserve our support as they close factories in Australia move oversea take advantage of cheap labour , some even use child labour as you see on the news or 60 minute ..... And theirs price still sky rocket with brand name tags .

Australia do made good hifi equipment but not the top high end equipment , the one who have money and choose the top end have to buy oversea but the same quality & price i always prefer to buy Australia made in Australia using Australia labour .

I will just say what number of hifi dealers said about ME amps.

1. They are fine sounding amps which had a potential to sell well, but lacks in and/or don't know how to market(ing) on the products.

2. Appearance - if it doesn't appeal to the consumers, very hard to sell

But, one thing all these dealers made same comment on ME was, very nice amp to listen to.

My 2 cents. :)  

Australia is probably too small a market to have a lot of big brands made and marketed here, although there will always be boutique manufacturers whom make excellent product ie Earle Weston etc.

I still have a fairly solid belief that it is the agenda of the government to exterminate the manufacturing industry and have us left with only imports....

The Government is just short sighted, no long term agenda, even the conspiracy ones are not on the table.

They just look at what is good for the term they sit, and that's it for a lot of them....or if they need votes to get in for the next term, but that's still very short sighted.

NO. What you have to say ABOUT PERTH may be perfectly valid. Perth is not Australia. Perth is one, very small corner of Australia. 

And in the same vein, Australia is just a small corner of the rest of the world.

I consider resale in the components I buy, and although I'd love to support Aussie manufacturers, the truth is American, Euro, Jap and now even Chinese brands have more presence in the world market than ME or Redgum.

And thats not a comment meant to take from the quality of these brands, just stating its a hard to swallow pill.

I make stuff and am fortunate enough (read; worked my ass off) to be able to export my products around the world. But I'm forced to use imported sub components, mostly from Asia. I dont like this situation, but as the parts are not made here anymore, its just life. I have to suck it up princess.

No one is going to take Australia seriously on the world stage until we take ourselves seriously.

Can we invent wifi, engineer the best solar panels, make good stuff? You betcha.

But while all these achievements are mostly on an individual or institutional sacle, its our societal structure that needs to change to make these ideas reduce our countries deficit.

Until an Aussie amp maker can furnish the pockets of a lobbyist, it will stay small scale on the world stage, no matter how good the amp is.

Hardly matters. Most of my purchases these days are for used gear. Its the only way I can afford any better than what I already have.... That's typically with phono cartridges

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

"house sounds of aussie hifi brands"

Apart from the sound of chomping BBQ shrimps and generally hard to capture as distinct from international but from my experience in 4 x 7 & 4 x 5m rooms....

Krix Esoterix 3 way and Lyrix 2 way speakers around 2000 vintage - for the price point, good detail, warm sound, nice full bass, nice cabinet construction and driver quality used (mixed of generic Audax, Seas, Scanspeak and custom)

Ambience 1600 Ribbon hydrid speaker - very good detail, warm sound, enough deep bass, excellent voice and imaging, good quality construction and drivers (Seas woofer unit and custom ribbon)

Whise/Nakamichi Dragon hybrid ESL speaker - wow, amazing detail, build and technology

Whatmough standmount speaker, 1990 model - for the price point extremely good with musicality, warmth, good bass, excellent voice and coherence, quality construction and drivers used (Focal Kevlar TC90 tweerter and polycone woofer)

VAF I 63 & 93 2000 year models - for the price point very hi end sound, great detail, imaging, neutralish darker sound, I-93 with great big bass, excellent construction and driver quality using Seas Excel upper end range of drivers but not the current Seas magnesium tweeter.

Metaxus amplifiers 1990s - high end quality sound, detailed and warm, gutsy, fancy design appearance

Mackinlay ESL speaker - extremely good electrostat, among the most detailed and transparent ESL sounds

WAR Audio Ref 1 three way speaker - very neutral, laser like precision, ultra hi end sound, detail, clarity, excellent construction and near best quality drivers available (Accuton, Cabasse, Raven ribbon tweeter) - an Avalon Eidolon like speaker

Supratek tube preamps - among the most detailed, transparent and musical devices around, absolute hi end, great construction and design

Duntech speakers various lower range models floorstanders and standmounts - generally warm sound, sufficient detail, good physical construction and driver quality used (Dynaudio, Scanspeak and Morel units)

If its accurate to say based on the above experiences and the schools of typical UK (the BBC dip response) & USA (linear in your face) speaker sounds for Aussie speakers the sound is different to the UK sound of similar period as generally voiced for more neutrality and avoids the boom, over warmth and tiz of UK speakers. I can't say much for USA speakers as I've not heard a large number of them, only 3 types of panel speaker but all pretty damn good.

Edited by Al.M
  • Like 4

Is anyone able to provide descriptions of the various house sound's of aussie hifi brands?

Redgum - tube-like yet bass heavy.

Weston Acoustics - nice mid-range with good grips.

Eric Chan - neutral with a dash of single-ended bloom.

Redfye - defines the neutral with a tubed soul. Dynamics.

Duntech - high-end, somewhat overwhelming.

Just dawned on me that I can't think of any Aussie phono manufacturer that made a hit.

I know Zaphod would say ME but they don't have a good outboard phono....

Anyone?

Garrard Brothers? (assuming you mean anything phono)

you know what the funny thing is about buying australian hifi is? 

i can go to any hifi store in WA and see plenty of top tier US/UK whatever brands. i dont see any australian brands... they just arent supported.

Buyer demand -- cultural cringe. Resale value to the next buyer -- with his cultural cringe.

Sorry I meant phono stage.

Thinking ANZ, I think Plinius got a small foothold in the global market, and now there's Pure Audio from an ex-Plinius engineer. And there's JLTi but that's very custom, small-change audio.