Beginner Setup for Vinyl

Hey guys,

Very new to the whole hifi setup world after living in iPod/iPhone connected to small speakers for sometime. Grew up in the age of CD's using mini hifi systems, but for years now been fully digital. I want to go back to the old school vinyl and will need the turntable, amp and speakers.

Need all the advice I can get, so here is some info;

- room this will go into is a large rectangle lounge which is approx 7x5m. Mostly carpeted with some tiles, large windows but have double blinds on them. No idea what the acoustics would be like, but that isn't a concern right now

- don't want to connect a computer or stream anything right now, but being able to connect the iPod/iPhone would be good, either now or in the future. From the little reading here I am guessing that a DAC would be required but I certainly need to learn more about that

- saw some chatter yesterday about these bookshelf speakers and opinions are a little varied, but they seem to be a good "quality vs price" option. Plan is to have the setup on a sturdy TV stand that I already have in place, so bookshelf size is what I am after first up

https://www.appliancesonline.com.au/pioneer-spbs22lr-speakers/?utm_source=linkshare&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=misc_untagged&utm_term=je6NUbpObpQ_10&siteID=je6NUbpObpQ-NvQDEwpuxURhxsWLWd216w

I guess I am seeking broad advice on new vs second hand, as well as info about turntables. What is more important in this three piece setup? TT, amp or speakers?

Thinking that $1k would be about my max, still waiting on my work bonus figures and how much the tax man will slug me!! Very broad questions here I know, but I am not in a massive rush to put something together and want to make sure I am maximising my value as an entry into what seems to be a deep rabbit hole!!

Cheers

Brett

Edited by Vinyl_Noob

Guest Hensa

With a $1K budget for turntable/cartridge, amp and speakers, I would definitely look second hand. If it was my budget, I'd look at up to $500 on speakers and $250 each on turntable/cart and amplifier. It's good that you're not in a hurry as patience will be your friend when waiting for the right options second hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not get in touch with @@houdinifangs as he mentions he will have some turntables for sale, so you might have a very nice starter system ready to go:

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/100182-fs-denon-amp-krix-speakers-av-rack-fire-sale/

If I had the cash to burn at hand right now, I might have jumped on that!! Like you say, the right options will pop up in time. That said, @@houdinifangs are you looking for quick movement of goods? ;)

If I had the cash to burn at hand right now, I might have jumped on that!! Like you say, the right options will pop up in time. That said, @@houdinifangs are you looking for quick movement of goods? ;)

Depends. I'll list my TT's next week. You're welcome to come out, have a listen, have a chat etc so you can get a feel.

• Like 1

Yep bargain starter set up with tt to come. You should send houdinifangs a pm and ask him.

Guest Hensa

I think you can do better for around the $250 mark than the two that you've linked. Here's a few that I'd personally rank higher than the Sherwood and SL-D2:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/doncaster/other-audio/q-deck-turntable-ariston-uk-ortofon-om-10-ec/1107902963

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/coburg/stereo-systems/technics-sl-23-turntable/1108123891

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/toorak/other-audio/yamaha-p-350-semi-automatic-turntable-made-in-japan/1105875725

Of course, it would always be worth starting a WTB thread nominating your budget as sna'ers often have some gems sitting in the bottom of cupboards that they'd be happy to see go to another member... 

Edited by Hensa

Digging a little deeper, I think that my Vinyl dream will wait.....so much is an enigma to me right now and needs so much more investigation and probably personal investment. Prob in the right forum for that.

At this point I think I will look to speakers and an amp to start running a cd/dvd player with my existing dusty CD collection. Cheers for the help so far tot hose that have posted....I am assuming once I get myself up and running I will be hungry for greater, so will be back asking questions.

• Like 1