On 25/09/2020 at 7:59 PM, cazzesman said:

If I was to hazard a guess I'm thinking it's a fair bet the XE will blow you away.

Fingers crossed.

Regards Cazzesman

Well I'm still here, but blown away too.

Spot the difference:

1435015171_XE3xpower.jpg.ad9727fa1b1e50c873a9907a8b02a2d1.jpg

Sounds fantastic, I think better than I could have hoped, and I expect will be better still, after a night of strenuous exercise.

Had to make up a star-quad cable to feed the onboard DC input, as I think the socket switches out the computer supply.

Snakeoil sounds even better now!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Wonderful news.   Seems we have both had a win these past few days.  Look forward to hearing more reviews on the XE.     What do you think are the SQ improvements???

I finally got my new Keces 12v 8amp power supply into my system.

Right from the get go the bottom end appeared to reach further down, was more filled out and was more controlled.    I haven't had the chance to have a serious sit down listen but out of the box I'm very happy.

Looks like I went the overkill because once my system is up and running the Keces Led info says it is running 12.1 vlt and 1.2 amp.

Plenty of Headroom ??

Regards Cazzesman

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I updated my Snakeoil setup to LMS 8 which has an excellent integration with Tidal.  My Tidal collection is now included with my personal library.  Next comes the SQ Test/analysis.

Considering that it is a free product (other than voluntary donation) it really is brilliant.

• Like 1

On 30/11/2020 at 9:10 PM, PKay said:

I updated my Snakeoil setup to LMS 8 which has an excellent integration with Tidal.  My Tidal collection is now included with my personal library.  Next comes the SQ Test/analysis.

Considering that it is a free product (other than voluntary donation) it really is brilliant.

How do you find lms vs mpd for sound quality?

Mpd sounds much better to me but tidal is a nightmare.

Ok the other hand to my surprise amazon music is now streaming at twice the bitrate of tidal. So hopefully they integrate that somehow.

Also what remote apps for android and iphone is everyone using with snake oil whether it be mpd or lms or whatever?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anewmission said:

Ok the other hand to my surprise amazon music is now streaming at twice the bitrate of tidal. So hopefully they integrate that somehow.

Also what remote apps for android and iphone is everyone using with snake oil whether it be mpd or lms or whatever?

Personally I think mpd is better than LMS but the app is way behind iPeng which is my LMS remote.  My remote for MPD is called MPD Player on my iphone and ipad.

New development for me has been to link Roon to Snakeoil and first thoughts are it is excellent but I need to do a bit more critical listening and comparison to mpd.

Roon LMS connection.PNG

• Like 1

Have preferred Mpd to LMS for a few years.  Unfortunately, the Mpd plugin to Tidal does not work. Hence, am using LMS 8 with Tidal (thank you @PKay).  It is better (eg. search) than using BubbleUpnp app which has a Tidal connector.

It is more likely to be integrated first in LMS than Mpd. 

Using MAFA with Mpd as main music player,  Squeezer with LMS for Tidal and BubbleUpnp with MinimServer for multi channel SACD to Panasonic player (all Android apps).

iPeng is a well regarded LMS iOS App.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Have preferred Mpd to LMS for a few years.  Unfortunately, the Mpd plugin to Tidal does not work. Hence, am using LMS 8 with Tidal (thank you @PKay).  It is better (eg. search) than using BubbleUpnp app which has a Tidal connector.

It is more likely to be integrated first in LMS than Mpd. 

Using MAFA with Mpd as main music player,  Squeezer with LMS for Tidal and BubbleUpnp with MinimServer for multi channel SACD to Panasonic player (all Android apps).

iPeng is a well regarded LMS iOS App.

What up snoop?

I'm guessing there is no app that will integrate tidal and mpd together?

I had it working last year with bubbleupnp. 

And the year before using lumin and linn kazoo.

Seems like lumin and linn kazoo have dropped support. 

Another strange thing is that using umpdcli I can't send audio to my avr's both of which do dsd and all formats.

I've tried with several apps.

Was hoping amazon music could some how be integrated with snake oil rather than an app. 

Also I noticed amazon music does surround also. It totally freaked me out at first

I'm guessing there is no app that will integrate tidal and mpd together?

Mpd had a plugin, which required reverse engineering,  but it no longer works

https://www.musicpd.org/doc/html/plugins.html#tidal

I have my doubts that mpd/tidal integration will come anytime soon.

I had it working last year with bubbleupnp. 

Tidal is still working within the BubbleUPnP app.

Another strange thing is that using umpdcli I can't send audio to my avr's both of which do dsd and all formats.

I've tried with several apps.

Upmpdcli is a UPnP player which outputs via USB, S/PDIF.  You did ask a question about output to HDMI in the SnakeOil forum.  If it does not work with HDMI, best to ask the upmpdcli developer.

Was hoping amazon music could some how be integrated with snake oil rather than an app. 

I think you misunderstand what SnakeOil development is about.  It is about the optimisation of a Linux system for music and making it easier for a non technical person to use.  It uses existing music servers and players. It would be a major change in direction to develop a player to Amazon music.  Also, I am not sure there is a public API that can access Amazon Music?

10 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Upmpdcli is a UPnP player which outputs via USB, S/PDIF.  You did ask a question about output to HDMI in the SnakeOil forum.  If it does not work with HDMI, best to ask the upmpdcli developer.

I think you misunderstand what SnakeOil development is about.  It is about the optimisation of a Linux system for music and making it easier for a non technical person to use.  It uses existing music servers and players. It would be a major change in direction to develop a player to Amazon music.  Also, I am not sure there is a public API that can access Amazon Music?

I will post a photo of the renderers in the house. One of the avr's is not on at the moment. I can't be bothered plugging it in. 

So I can send upmpdcli over ethernet to kodi??

But the receivers are not having the same fun, both are capable of upnp/dlna and both capable of all formats over ethernet.

If this is not going to work, what can I use as far as upnp on snake oil that will be able to send music via ethernet.

The only time I use hdmi for music is with kodi when I am being lazy

Screenshot_2020-12-06-08-09-19-916_com.bubblesoft.android.bubbleupnp.jpg

10 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Also there must be an API for amazon music as there is a kodi addon.

Same with tidal.

Youtube and netflix now you need to create an API key, which could be what's going on

• 1 month later...

Hi, I've been using DIY server running early snakeoil 0.1.5. on a Jetway MB. I want to update and run latest however it is still registered in the previous owners log in details and I'd like to do a clean installation.

I am trying to install the latest iso from usb but having no joy. Unsure if usb incompatibility. The old software was running off SSD, I just have no idea to load the latest iso on a new SSD.

Any pointers would be grand.

Thanks Rob

1 hour ago, eso said:

Hi, I've been using DIY server running early snakeoil 0.1.5. on a Jetway MB. I want to update and run latest however it is still registered in the previous owners log in details and I'd like to do a clean installation.

I am trying to install the latest iso from usb but having no joy. Unsure if usb incompatibility. The old software was running off SSD, I just have no idea to load the latest iso on a new SSD.

Any pointers would be grand.

Thanks Rob

Hi Rob, I remember having a few issues with this as well.  You need follow the steps on the snakeoil website very carefully.  Also if your MB is older it may require the 32 bit version which is what mine did.

This is a good place to start  https://www.snakeoil-os.net/wiki/Installation/choose-the-iso-to-download

On 30/09/2020 at 11:15 PM, BioBrian said:

Well I'm still here, but blown away too.

That sounds impressive. SHAAR was a pretty good card.

This shouldn't be a surprise?

I can't know the details of the Shaar Deluxe card; it's all a bit secret. A screwdriver doesn't allow it to be opened - and I'm not game to risk it with the soldering iron.

But the JCAT XE does all the things we keep talking about, and there's no cable or connection issues either. Just highly regulated independent power supplies, and an OCXO clock.

Fitting it possibly doubled the cost of my server (a choice I'm happy to make), but it would seem to do a lot of what others get from a very expensive separate box.

1 hour ago, BioBrian said:

This shouldn't be a surprise?

I can't know the details of the Shaar Deluxe card; it's all a bit secret. A screwdriver doesn't allow it to be opened - and I'm not game to risk it with the soldering iron.

But the JCAT XE does all the things we keep talking about, and there's no cable or connection issues either. Just highly regulated independent power supplies, and an OCXO clock.

Fitting it possibly doubled the cost of my server (a choice I'm happy to make), but it would seem to do a lot of what others get from a very expensive separate box.

No, not surprising it's better, just that the differences are so perceptible at this end of the game. 24MHz is an uncommon frequency to get an OCXO in. 

Don't get me wrong I'd love to try it with a DAC that's highly optimised insofar as isolation and reclocking to see what's still perceptible. 

I'd like to know too.

At the moment, it's the best I can do on the 'server' side of things. It's de-jittered, and hopefully carrying no nasties on the ground side either. (XE card is running from Clay's latest Choke LPSU, which has no connection to mains earth).

The USB cable's power lines are not connected to anything, at either server or DAC end.

The USB signal is re-clocked on the Amanero board of Clay's Konverter DAC, but I expect it gets there in very good order. Do I have to go MSB for the next step up? Or $10k Terminator+ for a side-step? (The only one in the Denafrips line-up with an OCXO).

I've recently tried to eliminate any ground noise avenues by installing an EtherREGEN & LPS, but don't use it for streaming - just isolation.

As I see it, the software aspect of my server is what needs a good look at - I'm just not savvy enough.

I've had quite a few changes over the last year, so am getting used to hearing improvements, but the XE card did give a good bit more poke in the bottom end, so to speak, amongst other improvements.

Edited by BioBrian
It's 2021. HNY!

41 minutes ago, BioBrian said:

As I see it, the software aspect of my server is what needs a good look at - I'm just not savvy enough.

It's an interesting one. The Amanero is excellent for what it costs though has some coarse-ish limits in clocking accuracy (relative to a SOTA approach). 

That people are routinely getting improvements with better clocking of USB data upstream of an Amanero says much for the sky being the limit, IMHO.

1 hour ago, BioBrian said:

I'd like to know too.

At the moment, it's the best I can do on the 'server' side of things. It's de-jittered, and hopefully carrying no nasties on the ground side either. (XE card is running from Clay's latest Choke LPSU, which has no connection to mains earth).

The USB cable's power lines are not connected to anything, at either server or DAC end.

The USB signal is re-clocked on the Amanero board of Clay's Konverter DAC, but I expect it gets there in very good order. Do I have to go MSB for the next step up? Or $10k Terminator+ for a side-step? (The only one in the Denafrips line-up with an OCXO).

I've recently tried to eliminate any ground noise avenues by installing an EtherREGEN & LPS, but don't use it for streaming - just isolation.

I've had quite a few changes over the last year, so am getting used to hearing improvements, but the XE card did give a good bit more poke in the bottom end, so to speak, amongst other improvements.

Hi Brian,

Are you still using Snakeoil?

40 minutes ago, PKay said:

Hi Brian,

Are you still using Snakeoil?

Yep, with JRiver MC24.

My flirtation with Daphile was aurally very satisfying after I found how to use the memory playback, but actually using it was rather too infra-dig.

Within Snakeoil I've set JRiver MC24 to play from memory, but don't think it's doing it. Also hurtful to the dignity, but it sounds pretty damn good.

Need an instructor (or several thousand). Frustrating with a capital F!

I've had some really valuable/generous exchange with/from Agent Kith, and have huge respect for the incredible effort he's made for us all, and would really like to stay on board and be part of this living history.

14 minutes ago, BioBrian said:

Yep, with JRiver MC24.

My flirtation with Daphile was aurally very satisfying after I found how to use the memory playback, but actually using it was rather too infra-dig.

Within Snakeoil I've set JRiver MC24 to play from memory, but don't think it's doing it. Also hurtful to the dignity, but it sounds pretty damn good.

Need an instructor (or several thousand). Frustrating with a capital F!

I've had some really valuable/generous exchange with/from Agent Kith, and have huge respect for the incredible effort he's made for us all, and would really like to stay on board and be part of this living history.

I had Daphile for a long time and in my system it doesn't come close to the SQ from Snakeoil.  At the moment I am running Roon on the main home computer and using my Antipodes (converted to Snakeoil) system as the Server.  It does sound very good and it was very easy to implement.

I did look at Jriver and as my mother board is a very old 32 bit board I thought that path was fraught with too much angst for me.

I concur that Agent Kith is a legend and a great guy to deal with.  I hope that the users of the system do make donations to keep it going.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rmpfyf said:

The Amanero is excellent for what it costs though has some coarse-ish limits in clocking accuracy (relative to a SOTA approach).

Hi Ric, thanks for helping out again.

If not "Sold On The Amanero", what does SOTA mean to you?

2 hours ago, BioBrian said:

Hi Ric, thanks for helping out again.

If not "Sold On The Amanero", what does SOTA mean to you?

I don't know that I'm helping mate :D 

In a perfect world the I2S stream is perfectly isolated into a buffer that's completely independent of anything upstream, and it's clocked out using perfect clocks, and the whole shebang is powered by PSUs completely independent of anything happening on their feed sides and with an infinite slew rate on the supply. And the DAC IC would be directly after the reclocked transport on a perfectly insulated line. 

Back in the real world :D 

• Yes, Amanero and similar solutions have a buffer and external clocking though much is implemented on an FPGA that's also responsible for handling the USB interface.
  • There is no point putting 'ultimate' clocks on an Amanero or similar accordingly. 
  • Either you'd run to something that incorporates an independent buffer/clock out (some older boards used to do this) or you have a separate set of boards doing this downstream of the Amanero with independent clocks, PSU etc. Something like an IanCanada or Audial kit with as last-word clocks as you can afford. 

This is exactly what my DAC is being modded to by some rather nice people on this forum.