My only other reservation with Snakeoil is that I can see no way of adding albums to my library SSD by simply putting them on a USB stick, plugging it in and transferring them, which is my preferred method and can be done with Daphile.

Just use any PC or Mac on your network to access Snakeoil and drag and drop from your USB drive to SSD.

More explanation required please @a.dent.

The Snakeoil server has OS on a cfast card and music on an SSD which is only connected to a wifi  router and controlled by Android tablet. If I want to drop an album into an artists folder, am I doing it in Linux or via the Snakeoil web control panel (the one with Home, Network, Music, etc ,etc tabs)???

Sorry for my ignorance, but what exactly is snakeoil ? Like I know what snakeoil is, but in context of this thread.

I read through hoping someone would ask the same question, but looks like I'll have to :)

Is it like jriver etc ? or something else ?

I use a Mac so I access Snakeoil through Finder. Open Finder, click on Network, click on Snakeoil. Your Snakeoil machine opens listing the various drives, folders and files. Open two Finder windows to make it easier to drag and drop from one drive (or folder) to another.

I'll show a screen shot of a Finder window but I am currently in the middle of installing the 64 Bit version of Snakeoil so Snakeoil is not shown in Finder ATM.

post-116892-0-94796900-1464505189_thumb.

I've opened my Mac mini so you can see the various drives etc.

post-116892-0-27721900-1464505297_thumb.

I am not good at PCs but I'm sure there is an equivalent in Windows.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what exactly is snakeoil ? Like I know what snakeoil is, but in context of this thread.

I read through hoping someone would ask the same question, but looks like I'll have to :)

My take on it is, it is a bare bones Linux operating system that is purely worked on to get the best Audio possible out of a Computer.

It is continually worked on and improved by Agent Kith.

You can install it onto a USB stick to try it out. It can also be installed onto a Hard drive.

Typically people install it to a SSD drive and put there music on it.

You then use another PC or tablet etc to run the control software on.  Like JRiver, and others.

Edited by rocky500

Snakeoil is a Linux OS tweaked to maximise sound quality. Extremely flexible and tweakable.

http://www.snakeoil-os.net

@a.dent Thanks Andrew, looks like I have to figure how to get the PC internet/wifi router to talk to the Snakeoil router .......... its the way I have it set up, completely separate wifi systems, one with internet access the other without.

I prefer that the router and computer with Snakeoil are isolated from everything else if possible.

I wonder if there is an android file sharing app .................... ?????  .......... do it through the tablet .............. just to further complicate things ............... :) :)

@a.dent Thanks Andrew, looks like I have to figure how to get the PC internet/wifi router to talk to the Snakeoil router .......... its the way I have it set up, completely separate wifi systems, one with internet access the other without.

I prefer that the router and computer with Snakeoil are isolated from everything else if possible.

I wonder if there is an android file sharing app .................... ????? .......... do it through the tablet .............. just to further complicate things ............... :) :)

To talk to the Snakeoil server, just get your computer to join the Snakeoil network. With my desktop, I just join the Snakeoil wifi network and access the server, transfer files etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

More explanation required please @a.dent.

The Snakeoil server has OS on a cfast card and music on an SSD which is only connected to a wifi router and controlled by Android tablet. If I want to drop an album into an artists folder, am I doing it in Linux or via the Snakeoil web control panel (the one with Home, Network, Music, etc ,etc tabs)???

The music server should appear under the networked connections, once opened, the music folder should be seen. Then it's a case of transferring files by copy and paste to to the destination directory

Checked it our again: the updates are only for those who have 'registered' (which means donated money, as far as I can tell).

So you do have to pay for updates, it seems.

The latest version of Snakeoil is always free. Registration allows for mix and matching different firmwares, kernels and other parameters. The free version is the latest and fully tweaked for audio with settings that suit most people . The options available through registration are IMO, for those people ( geeks?) who like to fiddle with everything and explore what different parameters do to the sound. For hassle free fully optimised operating system, stick with the latest version available to everyone.

• Like 1

The PC has no wifi card and is hardwired to the Modem router.

I have a dlink modem router which provides the internet for the PC and an internet wifi network for the tablet and a smaller dlink router which accept an internet cat5 plug (but no input from the phone line) which if I run a long enough cable from the modem router will give internet access to the Snakeoil computer.

The android tablet shows the two wifi networks ............. is there a way to get pc router to connect to the Snakeoil router or should I plug the cable from the internet router direct into the Ethernet port on the Snakeoil server temporarily for the purpose of file transfer.

Or buy a wifi card for the PC.

Network stuff drives me up the wall ................ :)

Edited by Ancientflatulence

should I plug the cable from the internet router direct into the Ethernet port on the Snakeoil server temporarily for the purpose of file transfer.

I'd give that a try first. They should be on the same network then.

• Like 1

About what?

If you mean about Snakeoil there have been several beta releases recently with considerable improvements in functionality. http://www.snakeoil-os.net/

Snakeoil can now be used to play Roon and HQ Player served from another PC/Mac. A big move forward.

I'm interested now that Snakeoil can run as a NAA for HQ Player / Roon. What formats are supported? Specifically, is DSD 512 supported? And are there instructions on how to install the NAA (as I don't see these on the web-site)?

i've got the 32bit installed and just updated the firmware. did you download the ISO for the 64bit? is it worth it @a.dent ?

Hi Roger

Yes 64 bit seems like a good improvement.

I was keen to get 64 bit because I wanted to install Roon bridge so I could stream from Roon on my Mac mini server.

I also have HQ Player installed on the Mac mini with NAA on my Snakeoil. All the discussion of conversion to DSD on CA seems to point to getting better sound with the conversion. After only listening for a couple of hours I have to agree. It is worth it.

I'll be doing a more comprehensive comparison of all options tomorrow as I have the day off.

So I would suggest you try it even if you only have the Snakeoil machine running alone.

I'm interested now that Snakeoil can run as a NAA for HQ Player / Roon. What formats are supported? Specifically, is DSD 512 supported? And are there instructions on how to install the NAA (as I don't see these on the web-site)?

Hi zydeco.

As far as I know Roon andHQ Player support DSD 512 as does Snakeoil. No DSD problems here.

Instructions on getting NAA loaded and working are in this thread. http://www.snakeoil-os.net/forums/thread-37.html

My DAC doesn't seem to support DSD 256 or above but I will have a fiddle. CD resolution up sampled to DSD128 is sublime on my system though.

You may be better off installing the new 64 bit ISO before you start.

Let me know if you have any problems.

i've got the 32bit installed and just updated the firmware. did you download the ISO for the 64bit? is it worth it @a.dent ?

I have had some problems with the 64 bit version, it takes forever to boot, and then gets stuck when setting the USB device. The 32 but version seems fine. This is on an Atom dn2800mt motherboard.

I have had some problems with the 64 bit version, it takes forever to boot, and then gets stuck when setting the USB device. The 32 but version seems fine. This is on an Atom dn2800mt motherboard.

Maybe I've been lucky with my Jetway NF9C-2800 motherboard. I loaded the ISO from a CD but I doubt that would make any difference.

Have you tried a post on Snakeoil Forum support. http://www.snakeoil-os.net/forums/forum-5.html

Agent Kith is usually very quick to respond to queries.

• 1 month later...

I have a Jetway board based server running Snake Oil. The operating system is on a Cfast card and the library is on a SSD.

The computer is connected via cable to a Dlink router which allows me to control Snakeoil via an Android tablet. The router forms a WiFi network which is not connected to the internet.

My desktop Windoze computer can connect via wifi to the Dlink router and I can view the Snakeoil web interface with all the details of the server ( and I guess I could control the player also, I have not tried yet) on the Windoze computer.

I am still trying to figure out how to transfer, delete and view the files on my library SSD. Can I access the SSD music library from the web interface page.

I have found I have duplicate music files in the library which I wish to delete and I want to add files which I have ripped onto the Windoze computer so I need to be able to examine the contents of the library SSD on a folder and file basis.

Any instructions will need to be given in the most basic of language, I was going to say as if talking to a five year old, but I suspect a five year old may possibly have a better grasp of this than I do.

Edited by Ancientflatulence

Sorry, I'm only licensed to drive a Mac. Can someone else chime in?

I can confirm it is not a function of the web interface. It is a Windows method for connecting to a network server.

Note that whilst you can do all this using your wifi connection between PC and router, if you ever want to transfer 100s of GB into your music server and don't want to wait for hours, then running a network cable between PC and router will make the transfer much faster.

I tried a direct cable between the Desktop and the router and could not get them to talk. I can actually access the Snakeoil machine with the wifi so hope that I can achieve something that way.

Otherwise going back to Daphile is looking like the best option. At least you can access the files from the  web interface with it.

The early release had a bug for some.

You can try downloading the ISO again.

Edited by rocky500

I have a Jetway board based server running Snake Oil. The operating system is on a Cfast card and the library is on a SSD.

The computer is connected via cable to a Dlink router which allows me to control Snakeoil via an Android tablet. The router forms a WiFi network which is not connected to the internet.

My desktop Windoze computer can connect via wifi to the Dlink router and I can view the Snakeoil web interface with all the details of the server ( and I guess I could control the player also, I have not tried yet) on the Windoze computer.

I am still trying to figure out how to transfer, delete and view the files on my library SSD. Can I access the SSD music library from the web interface page.

I have found I have duplicate music files in the library which I wish to delete and I want to add files which I have ripped onto the Windoze computer so I need to be able to examine the contents of the library SSD on a folder and file basis.

Any instructions will need to be given in the most basic of language, I was going to say as if talking to a five year old, but I suspect a five year old may possibly have a better grasp of this than I do.

I'm not a Windows user either but I think it is as simple as opening your network places and double clicking on Snakeoil. The HDD with your music on it should come up and you can drag and drop to other drives. So you don't use the web interface to edit files, you use Windows.

We need a Windows user to chime in. (or you could buy a Mac!)

And don't be tempted to go back to Daphile. Snakeoil has much better sound quality even if it is not as simple to use as Daphile.

Edited by a.dent