Snakeoil operating system is a new software for your music server that allows ...even the computer/linux illiterate (like me)...to easily switch between different players and kernels to find the combo that best suits your system and your tastes.

What is a kernel?  Don't know, don't care? That is the point; with Snakeoil you don't need to understand linux, kernels etc. You simply use your browser to change settings that affect sound quality.  

Does it sound great? Well yes, actually but that is the wrong question. Snakeoil is not just one system and it doesn't claim to be the best. It is all about letting you switch between different types of sound within moments and from the comfort of your listening position. You decide what is best for you.

This thread is explicitly for:

-People to share their experiences of which Snakeoil settings they like best

-People seeking help in getting started or using Snakeoil.

-Following Snakeoil updates

i.e. Snakeoil only.

To download or get help from the developer (Agent Kith) himself, visit http://www.snakeoil-os.net/

Please, please, if you want to talk about hardware, different software or your own computer genius, choose another thread. Consider the Snakeoil users that want a reference resource without pages of tangents to sift through.  Thank you.

• Like 9

Just trying to install it now but the keyboard won't work - was ok in the bios.

Tried three different keyboards - all no go - any ideas?

Using a intel Atom mini ITX M/B

Using  v 0.1.2

All sorted!

went back to v 0.1.0 & keyboard working now.

Edited by Gieseler Audio

Just trying to install it now but the keyboard won't work - was ok in the bios.

Tried three different keyboards - all no go - any ideas?

Using a intel Atom mini ITX M/B

Using  v 0.1.2

All sorted!

went back to v 0.1.0 & keyboard working now.

so does that mean i can't install the latest one using a keyboard?

i have just learned that i can simply download firmware 0.1.2 and upload it to my Snakeoil machine and it will update the players and web pages to the latest version (no need to reinstall). The link to 0.1.2 is here.  i can upgrade the kernel when the keyboard issue has been sorted.

@@Gieseler Audio the other way of bypassing the keyboard issue is to install via a virtual machine like VNC.

i also hear that more features are planned for the next Snakeoil release - but mainly for new users who aren't familiar with linux - e.g. one click auto-setup wizard that will setup everything automatically (so people don't have to go through the website page by page)... And video tutorials....

sounds great(pun intended)

• Like 1

Snakeoil is now update to 0.1.2a, resolving keyboard issue found on the earlier release 0.1.2.

Also tested to be compatible with Steve Job's keyboard and mouse.

Furthermore, Jriver has now been removed as per requested by Jriver camp.

Please visit the Snakeoil's pages for more infor...!

Edited by Chanh

Has anyone here try it on a usb-3 flash-drive? I plan doing this to spare a SATA slot for the addition 2TB HDD/SSD.

if you have tried, keen to know if there is any compromise or sonicly worse off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've tried running Daphile from a USB 3 flash drive. I didn't think performance was as good as from internal SATA or CFast card. I should add that I was using affordable USB 3 drives which use slower memory modules than SSD.

• 1 month later...

There are also new kernels to try and the latest FW also provides new user controls from the web interface that allow you to easily try kernel tweaks like changing the clocksource or boot options (APIC, ACPI).

This is within FW 0.1.4 Pre-release. Agent Kith is waiting for more feedback before finalising the 0.1.4 iso. New users can still download the 0.1.3 iso and then use the upgrade feature to access 0.1.4 Pre-release.

Oh, and did I mention the sound quality has gotten even better  :thumb:

You don't have to pay for Snakeoil.  You can make a donation if you think it's worthy or don't donate anything; it's up to you.

Checked it our again: the updates are only for those who have 'registered' (which means donated money, as far as I can tell).

So you do have to pay for updates, it seems. 

Checked it our again: the updates are only for those who have 'registered' (which means donated money, as far as I can tell).

So you do have to pay for updates, it seems. 

This is incorrect. You have to register but a donation is voluntary.

from the FAQs

PS @@Ancientflatulence, what do you think of it?

Q: The Snakeoil tab doesn’t seem all that impressive, is that all this distro can offer compared to the other audiophile distros out there?
A: The ability to customise the firmware (either totally, or in parts) plus the ability to use different kernel gives you a massive advantage other distros can’t offer - a way to customise your snakeoil machine to suit your computer and your needs precisely. e.g. Upload a kernel that do exactly what you want, firmware that behaves the way you want it. The power of this feature will become more apparent in the future as I slowly add more kernels and firmwares in the Forums resources sections.

Q: How do I register and support the Snakeoil development?
A: Click the PayPal from the Register tab of your Snakeoil machine and send me a token sum. A registration code that enables additional snakeoil features will be sent to your paypal e-mail account.

Q: Must I donate to get an activation code?
A: You can always contact me to get one for free.

Edited by ThirdDrawerDown
  • Like 1

It sounds at least as good as Daphile which it replaced and I really do like it but I had a lot of trouble with the installation which Agent Kith worked tirelessly to sort out for me.

I have been using the Squeezelite player as it can be controlled by Orange Squeeze on my tablet.

I tried the MPD players and liked the sound but I could not get any of the android apps available to connect to the player. So I if I wanted to use MPD I would have to use the web interface controller which is not very user friendly.

My evaluation listening has been further disturbed by a dead KT150 valve which has necessitated a swap to my backup KT88s while I try to get Upscale audio to answer my emails and deign to sell me some new KT150s.

My only other reservation with Snakeoil is that I can see no way of adding albums to my library SSD by simply putting them on a USB stick, plugging it in and transferring them, which is my preferred method and can be done with Daphile.