SGR Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

Fair enough, that's what I like about you Drizt, you can actually discuss things without the chemicals in your brain getting out of balance.

Now regarding design and implementation I put this example to you, lets make the MT3A's or Octagons a passive design and then drive them with a 50W valve amp (not sure if you call this design or implementation) but how do you think they would then compare to their current config?

For me the reasons these speakers are so successful (based on all the praise) in no particular order are the following:

(1) Active crossover design

(2) High quality drivers

(3) High power solid state amplification

(4) The skill applied in integrating everything together

Fair enough, that's what I like about you Drizt, you can actually discuss things without the chemicals in your brain getting out of balance.

Thanks mate.

Now regarding design and implementation I put this example to you, lets make the MT3A's or Octagons a passive design and then drive them with a 50W valve amp (not sure if you call this design or implementation) but how do you think they would then compare to their current config?

I call that design. Implementation is simply 'how' you facilitate the design.

50W valve amp would not be enough to drive the Octagon's/MT3's to realistic SPL's or control the fully extended bass. Even if you used active crossovers and 3 x 50W valve amps you would not get the same stellar performance IMHO.

Edited by Drizt

For me the reasons these speakers are so successful (based on all the praise) in no particular order are the following:

(1) Active crossover design

(2) High quality drivers

(3) High power solid state amplification

(4) The skill applied in integrating everything together

Not to mention that the people who have actually bought them must have really liked them in comparo to the competition at their respective prices.

Also to be fair to the purchasers I believe they are well seasoned audionuts that I'm sure didn't purchase on impulse by walking into the first audio store just to get out of the rain one day.

As you say the price isn't sparrow feed so their decisions were well thought out.

Guest JohnA

Its amazing though that when SGR is mentioned, price always come into play

yet if its wilson audio, B&W, focal, etc etc its justifiable.

Hey but lets not also forget that brilliant SGR finish just to top things off nicely. How much does wilson charge for a different spray job that is not a standard colour.

Then my good friend DrX said this

I backed up a point that there are many options available with some at least providing more flexibility (ability to tailor the sound to individual taste) for that kind of money.
and as has been said many times in the past, and very recently i may add with a few subwoofer purchases and Drizt's purchase and lets not forget YS.

SGR can custom make to anyones taste, specs, budget. If only people actually read what we write on here or actualy rang them.

Now how many other speaker manufacturers do we know that will take the time to do that?

I'm pretty sure Aslan does that and you might be surprised how many Aussie manufacturers would do it when you wave a $35000 - $40000 carrot in front of their face :rolleyes:

I was actually talking digital EQ tailorable by the listener. As far as I know for 40k RRP you don't get 10 bands of digital parametric EQ from SGR. The point was actually first brought up by Mika and not myself.

Edited by Dr X

Guest JohnA
I'm pretty sure Aslan does that and you might be surprised how many Aussie manufacturers would do it when you wave a $35000 - $40000 carrot in front of their face :)

see again you didn't read did you :rolleyes:

and i quote myself yet again

SGR can custom make to anyones taste, specs, budget

Once again you don't seem to know what you are talking about. With digital EQ you can do whatever you want. Even after SGR has left the building and it doesn't cost you anything. Do you have access to 4 different frequency response profiles that you can customise now and in the future at the flick of a button on a remote? Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Haven't heard the 802s

But have heard the pair of Nautilus Snails in Melbourne many times over in a treated room with all sorts of power combinations, and only heard the MT3as once

To my ears:

One system shouts at you

The other system sings with you

I'm pretty sure Aslan does that and you might be surprised how many Aussie manufacturers would do it when you wave a $35000 - $40000 carrot in front of their face :rolleyes:

I was actually talking digital EQ tailorable by the listener. As far as I now for 40k RRP you don't get 10 bands of digital parametric EQ from SGR. The point was actually first brought up by Mika and not myself.

No offence intended but I don't think there are too many people around capable of producing a product that meets let alone exceeds the SGR level of fit and finish, regardless of how much money you wave under their nose.

Guest JohnA

you know

my mother always told me to never argue with idiots as they drag you down to their level and beat you with experiance every time.

so yes you are correct.

diy is the only way and myself and many others on here are stupid pricks for spending so much money.

We should all be a bunch of tight arses like yourself and ridicule everyone and anyone who dares spend any money, because we all know an ipod with some logitech computer speakers sound better anyways

No offence intended but I don't think there are too many people around capable of producing a product that meets let alone exceeds the SGR level of fit and finish, regardless of how much money you wave under their nose.

No worries YS, you may very well be right. I have never said they aint the best for what you pay. I basically re-iterated what someone else mentioned that $35000-$40000 gives you many options.

you know

my mother always told me to never argue with idiots as they drag you down to their level and beat you with experiance every time.

My guess she told you that after you two had an argument? :rolleyes:

diy is the only way and myself and many others on here are stupid pricks for spending so much money.

We should all be a bunch of tight arses like yourself and ridicule everyone and anyone who dares spend any money, because we all know an ipod with some logitech computer speakers sound better anyways

What a drama queen.

FYI I have never DIY'd.

In the past 10 years I have owned:

5 Aaron HT speakers

5 Subsonic HT speakers

1 B&W subwoofer

1 pair of Legend Kantu's

1 pair of Legend Big Reds with DEQX

I'm hardly a tight arse thank you :rolleyes:

Edited by Dr X

Well SGR may be good but their web site is a one pager with no info and one pic and the only thing I can find is a plate sub-woofer amp.

Any idea how you even get an idea of what they do? What their products are and even how much?

Call them, send an email, visit them or even do a search on this forum :rolleyes:

Well SGR may be good but their web site is a one pager with no info and one pic and the only thing I can find is a plate sub-woofer amp.

Any idea how you even get an idea of what they do? What their products are and even how much?

it's probably time for SGR to invest in some Marketing.

dunno why, but for some reason SGRites (heh heh, just made a new word) do seem to get hot under the collar whenever price is asked.

and let's be honest, (well last time I looked) it is damn hard to find that data on the website.

Equally, it is a reasonable question for so many reasons, value for money, 'ooh I'd love a pair, how much is it', whatever.

However, whilst John A HAS told the price when asked, there have been others that beat around the bush quoting 'whatever you want they can do', no there are a few models so they have a price.

I don't understand the reticence or indignant reactions to a logical question.

Its amazing though that when SGR is mentioned, price always come into play

yet if its wilson audio, B&W, focal, etc etc its justifiable.

See? blinkered thinking that price only applies to SGR. No it doesn't, and I recall a 'ticking off' when I asked about another brand.

How much does wilson charge for a different spray job that is not a standard colour.

Dunno, but guess what! I am curious! how much is it?

took a while, but good to see you finding the light!! heh heh

What is it??? Why is curiosity about how much a high end audio component costs somehow ridiculing SGRites? (gotta use me new word somehow)

Then you just go spurting off stuff that is from left field. I know you're more intelligent that that, so it somehow shows the depth of your upset. I just cannot understand why you're upset. To the best of my recollection no-one has ever said they felt they are too expensive or a rip off or whatever, dunno why you assume that is secretly what they think.

Can a B&W 802 converted to active be as good? Of course it can. It will be a different sound to the SGRs, so personal preference will always come into play. The amps do not need to cost $12000 tho, think that number was a defensive gesture.

Why do more people not do it? Well there are plenty that only have to look at a power tool for their thumb to be cut off!

Tons of reasons.

Worried about implementation? Hey, just emulate the same crossover points and slopes, no real need to plough new ground if that worries you.

But it is not for everyone obviously, so I fully understand buying what I think is a good value pair of speakers. Just add source.

What a drama queen.

FYI I have never DIY'd.

In the past 10 years I have owned:

5 Aaron HT speakers

5 Subsonic HT speakers

1 B&W subwoofer

1 pair of Legend Kantu's

1 pair of Legend Big Reds with DEQX

I'm hardly a tight arse thank you :)

SGR have a $10kish speaker nick-named Eric the Reds (beautiful red paint job). I have listened to both them and the Legend Big Reds on numerous occasions. The Legends had a more esoteric front end with a 12k CDP and DEQX front end. The SGRs were listened to using my 3k Transporter as a source and pre.

IMO the SGRs ate the Big Reds for breakfast. It wasn't even close. The SGR's just did everything better. Cleaner, tighter bass. Better definition and resolution. Fantastic air and treble extension. Engaging vocals and midrange. Bang on accuracy. Being cheaper than the Big Reds and including all of the amplification this would leave plenty of room to throw in a DEQX or other Digital Equaliser to tame your room interaction if you were that way inclined. Which is also an option for any other SGR speakers. As they are custom built you could also get a more integrated digital crossover using a DEQX or other unit without using an analogue crossover if you were that way inclined as well. Stuart could use his great knowledge and measurements to set up a few profiles for you too.

I highly recommend going to pay SGR a visit with the following caveat: if you go you will definitely come out wishing you had gone to see them before your last hifi purchase :rolleyes:

Guest JohnA

you know what Terry

yes, i am majorly pissed off.

As most will know especially those who know me well, i have nothing against DIY, expensive or cheap cables or what system, car, house etc etc you may have.

They are just material items, and friendships (the main reason i am here) are worth more.

So i make habbit to never ridicule anyone on here or their setup nor question why they got it or why they didn't go for brand x, y or Z.

But my mate, just likes to keep stiring the pot at every chance he gets, be it speakers, transports, cables whatever and the more something is worth the more he digs in.

What i love even more is he makes all these claims and yet, has never heard most of the stuff.

I actually held back on my reply.

In actual fact, i PM'ed Keith and told him to get ready to ban me as i was going to just go completely off tap.

As for the continuing asking of price, how hard is it to just ring or e-mail someone up and ask?

I have no problem stating rrp on here, but don't expect me to tell you what deal i got on an item as i am of the belief that this is private.

My subs which are been made by SGR are also made to my requirements and will not be a standard retail product, so what price i am paying is of no concern to anyone except me.

Anyways, i am over it now. I am going to go out now get some fresh air visit some friends and enjoy some music

Anyway I picked up a apir of Tempest-X drivers today and finally met Stuart & Harry ,thats for your time today much appriciated .

The finnish of the speakers and amps are number one .

Had a listen to Stuarts new amp ,I really like the look of it the last time I saw heat sinks like that was on early Metaxas amps its about time someone's not using a plain box with a alloy front and we heard a few track's playing through the Octogon's ,I say we because a mate came along .

One thing I would like to say is I get the feeling Stuart & Harry want to build something that is going to last sound quality & finnish not something thats just going to be had for a few years and traded .

As far as some of the other post there are other people in this country that can build to the same quality and sonic quality you just need to know

where to look and be willing to wait and spend the dollars .

Cheers

Edited by 56oval

Enough people with a lot of listening experience have made glowing reports about SGR for positive reports of their products to be more than possibly one person's delusion.

I have only seen one set of their speakers and not even listened to them, however with all the excitement about their stuff by quite a few SNAers it seems more sensible to run and have a listen than to have a bit of a bash at them.

who is having a bash?

crikey.

this is not the first thread where any sort of comment other than fanbois stuff is taken as bashing.

it came from a valid question regarding price,

now look at it, all of a sudden it is being bashed?

One point I do acknowledge, it was rather 'poor' form for the sort of comments like 'do it cheaper another way' to appear in a thread where people are reporting their experiences. It's OK in a 'what do you think of thread', but this wasn't it.

I guess to that degree I can understand the upset.

But I have yet to see anywhere people 'bashing' SGR.

Lighten up guys.