A comparative evaluation of 4 "Linn Wars" TTs

Comparative evaluation of 4 "Linn Wars" Turtables

NOR a serial post from a serial pest

I have in my herd 4 British TT s from the early 1980s of which I am begining comparative evaluations.

I will post as I review them so this will take 10 days or so with some gaps asI am in Sydney next week for meetings and a wedding ( no not mine). 

HISTORY

The Linn LP 12 was the dominant British TT  of the 80s and remains a major contender today. This dominance was not nearly so apparent in the beginning. Ariston or perhaps our own Orpheus Silex began the spring balanced TT phenomenon. Others followed first Linn then a string of others. These included; Pink Triangle now Funk Firm, Strathclyde, and Logic.

Linn fought these contenders every way it could. They fought hard. Retailers who distributed any of the above were threatened with no further supply of Linn TT s.

Pink Triangle named for the patch gay men had to wear in occupied countries during WW ll was maligned for this link .

All of the competitor companies listed above failed.

Note I have gathered the above info here and there this is not a meticulously researched history . I am happy to entertain corrections. It is merely to give a context for that which follows.

My herd now contains four of these TT s and I will do some comparative listening over 10 days or so and post my conclusions as I go.

While I will be as objective as I can the set ups as described in post two will influence the outcome. I will acknowledge this where possible. Example: each TT has a different cart, some TT s have manufacturers arms others do not.

Iphone Photos will be posted by the geek later today (I hope).

Cheekyboy is calling in  next week and I will ask him to take better shots that will go up towards the end.

Looking forward to the ... eventual and inevitable outcome ; )

Don't know what the inevitable outcome will be, John?

After all, if you were comparing 4 clapped-out cars, the one you thought went the best wouldn't necessarily be a relevant comparison for the makes represented? :P

Andy

• Like 1

Don't know what the inevitable outcome will be, John?

After all, if you were comparing 4 clapped-out cars, the one you thought went the best wouldn't necessarily be a relevant comparison for the makes represented? :P

Andy

I am going to enjoy this thread ; )

##2

The turntables

Linn LP 12

late Valhalla

Trampolin base

Akito 2b arm

Denon 103 with aluminum head plate bringing weight to 19 grams

elevator cart setting 5100

Felt mat

Footfall disturbance

Walnut plinth

My Total Cost $1700

Logic DM 101

Sold as spring TT springs now removed replaced with sheet of ply

SMElll arm

Grado Reference Master1 cart HOMI

Manufacturers rubber mat

no footfall disturbance

My total Cost!$1300>NB cart rrp=$1200

Logic Tempo

manufacturers arm Datum 2

Ortofon Tango LOMC cart their bottom of range mc cart similar rrp to denon 103

Elevator cart setting 27

Thin synthetic mat SMR silicone

No foot fall disturbance

My total cost $ 390

Strathclyde

spring TT very heavy aluminum base plinth

Platter level with top plate tightly sprung

SME lll arm

Audiophile Europa mm/mi cart by Grado

No footfall disturbance

Components in common

Graham slee Elevator> Redwood Muse 3 mm phono> Earle Weston Time Machine SET integrated> Tannoy Turnberry's dual concentric Tannoy super tweeter

The prof has a Pink Triangle if he's willing I might assess that too

Edited by djb
  • Like 2

Don't forget to 'tune dem' all 4/5 turntables to assess which offers the best PRAT to your ears David.

Aah, now Gordon ... can you enlighten me as to what is the "follow the tune" method of listening which Linn Forum folk keep harping on about?  (I understand this is the same as what you called "tune dem".)

But I think that is something different to "PRAT assessment"? :confused:

Andy

A couple of suggestions:

Performance:

- Bass

- Midrange

- Treble

- Musicality vs Accuracy

- Upgrade options/availability of parts

- Network of service agents

- Resale value

I disagree, John.  If djb is trying to tell us which is his favourite-sounding combo - and why - then your last 3 are irrelevant.

And to extend musicality ... I would say "which one engages you more - ie. gets your toe tapping"! ;)

Regards,

Andy

Those last three points are relevant to anyone considering buying one. If parts are unobtainable and no one will service them then they become boat anchors.

I agree that we want to know which one is the most engaging but people express that in different ways.

Andy

The lastb3 of teles requirements/demands are though necessary for the Linn to be automatically victorious

I on the other hand will be objective

Pchan understands PRAT he will educate us

We should not over look Gordon's motives either PRAT, some say being something that only LINNIE'S can discern/aspire to

Off to read up on PRAT

Will be Solomon before this is over

• Like 1

Love the idea but I want to play Devils advocate...

At which point do you attribute differences in the TT and not the arm/cart combination. I can see a TT evaluation being relevant if all three sported the same arm/cart combo but this seems more an evaluation of three analogue setups, rather than the TT's themselves..

hope I don't sound like a wet blanket here as I don't mean to. 

Cheers

M

Edited by unclemack
  • Like 2

Uncle

You are correct and you and everyone else can dissect my evaluations appropriately

Teo of the TT s can be assessed with different arm if we allow for fact the arms are manufacturer original issue

Logic tempo and linn. But then neither have the original manufacturers cart choice.

If I had a second denon 103 or any 2 identical any 2 tts could be set up identically at 1 time

but given I'm not able to change the carts ... it's getting too complicated!

Now if a sponsor had 4bidentical carts they could loan.

Edited by djb

Those last three points are relevant to anyone considering buying one. If parts are unobtainable and no one will service them then they become boat anchors.

I agree that we want to know which one is the most engaging but people express that in different ways.

But the Strathclyde and the Logic are no longer made ... but, sure, you can buy them, used.  The only "servicing" I could see necessary to any of them is possibly a new bearing ... or motor?  And - as I'm sure you will agree - given the sad lack of "service" from my local Linn dealer, having an "authentic" dealer does not guarantee a good result. :)

As we saw from UM's Luxman, a competent tech stopped that from becoming a 'boat anchor' - and he didn't even have to replace the bearing ... simply clean it. ;)

Regards,

Andy

Pchan understands PRAT he will educate us

We should not over look Gordon's motives either PRAT, some say being something that only LINNIE'S can discern/aspire to

Mmmm, David ... my take on PRAT is that it is a Naimie term.  Linnies talk about "tune dem" or "which one makes it easier to follow the tune".

IOW, while a well set-up LP12 can certainly enable you to follow the tune, compared to other TTs (and both Naimies & Linnies agree on this) ... once you add a (Naim) Aro to the deck - you get more PRAT! :P

Regards,

Andy

Love the idea but I want to play Devils advocate...

At which point do you attribute differences in the TT and not the arm/cart combination. I can see a TT evaluation being relevant if all three sported the same arm/cart combo but this seems more an evaluation of three analogue setups, rather than the TT's themselves..

hope I don't sound like a wet blanket here as I don't mean to. 

Cheers

M

Must agree with this. I have no idea what will be getting compared - not only different arms and cartridges, even something as simple as the mats are different and one of the turntables has had its sprung suspension replaced with a piece of ply. I look forward to reading the reviews but will have to teat them as individual reviews rather than any sort of useful comparison.