Music capital of the world?

I'd believe it. Rings true for our house.

AFL = Twice a year (maximum)     Spend = Ticket price and parking. (BYO everything else)

Live Music = Twice a month (minimum)     Spend = Door charge, Food and drinks (we like to support the venues), artist CD or merchandise...

I've got around 20 Live music venues of various types within a 30min drive from home. Some of them have music 2 or 3 nights a week.

And that's right out in the hills, nowhere near where all the real action is!

I'd believe it. Rings true for our house.

AFL = Twice a year (maximum)     Spend = Ticket price and parking. (BYO everything else)

Live Music = Twice a month (minimum)     Spend = Door charge, Food and drinks (we like to support the venues), artist CD or merchandise...

I've got around 20 Live music venues of various types within a 30min drive from home. Some of them have music 2 or 3 nights a week.

And that's right out in the hills, nowhere near where all the real action is!

Lucky bugger wish I had that many venues for live music to choose from,  good for you!!!

Not sure about the "World" bit but for Australia, yes by a long way. But we all know this and it's not just music, but culture in general and food and just about everything else. You don't get to keep being voted "World's Most Liveable City" for nothing. Almost makes you feel sorry for all those not living in Melbourne. Almost :)

Not sure about the "World" bit but for Australia, yes by a long way. But we all know this and it's not just music, but culture in general and food and just about everything else. You don't get to keep being voted "World's Most Liveable City" for nothing. Almost makes you feel sorry for all those not living in Melbourne. Almost :)

I almost feel sorry for myself not living there too until 6.26pm each night when I see the weather :)

• Like 1

I almost feel sorry for myself not living there too until 6.26pm each night when I see the weather :)

well you can't have everything but after a few more years of climate change Melbourne may have the weather as well :) We've just had the warmest July on record

well you can't have everything but after a few more years of climate change Melbourne may have the weather as well :) We've just had the warmest July on record

Hahah lived there for year great pubs, bars, nightlife just can't handle weather! :)

It certainly is the music( gigs,cds/vinyl,hi-fi) capital of Australia.Sydney pales in comparison.

No argument from me. We seem to be getting some really small "crowds" at gigs in Sydney recently. I saw Bardo Pond play the Annandale last night, not even 100 people in attendance. When I saw Bang On A Can Allstars playing at SOH last year there was maybe 50 people in the room. David Helbock Trio performed to about 20 people last month, four of them were from this forum. It's embarrassing at times :( Full credit to the artists though, they played on anyway.

Hey you Melbournites: Does Broderick Smith still belt out tunes at pub venues down there at all? Had/has one of the truly great voices in the Australian rock pantheon, always deserved far far more fame+fortune than he's received. Great clip of him truly belting out a song accompanied by an Aussie guitarist who's name I can't remember.

Found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT-J1Tht79A

Hey you Melbournites: Does Broderick Smith still belt out tunes at pub venues down there at all? Had/has one of the truly great voices in the Australian rock pantheon, always deserved far far more fame+fortune than he's received. Great clip of him truly belting out a song accompanied by an Aussie guitarist who's name I can't remember.

Found it:

Yep. Saw him with Doc Watson at Upwey last December. Caught one of the Dingoes gigs too. Always puts on a great show.

He's pretty good in this as well (best version of this song IMO)...

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/11725379524/RocKwiz-Patience-Hodgson-and-Broderick-Smith-Duet

Edited by KenTripp