a follow up to Baraka, Samsara looks to be along similar lines, got my copy on blu-ray today, only watched about 30 min so far. Visually absolutely stunning, grabbed some screen shots along the way, audio wise too its a very enveloping atmospheric track making good use of the 7.1 dts-hdma. Looking forward to watching the rest :)

file.jpg

file-1.jpg

file-2.jpg

file-3.jpg

file-4.jpg

Agree that it looks great. Some memorable footage. I saw it at the cinema and frankly it didn't gell with me the same way Baraka did. Generally I found the ideas repetitious, overly pessimistic and the overall narrative much weaker than Baraka. More than anything else it felt like left overs from Baraka...show me Man with a Movie Camera, something by Chris Marker like Sunless or just Baraka anyday...

• Like 2

I wonder what would give better detail of those fabulous shots - find a reasonable cinema or stay at home with the Blue Ray HD?

commercial theatres are mostly at best 2K or blu-ray equivalent, and it doesnt take much to easily better commercial setups at home. mine is not a high end projector setup and sit at home with screen and distance combination at what would be equivalent to mid row in a theatre and easily outdoes for PQ what you get in a reasonable commercial theatre. If can catch at an imax that would be another thing that is 4K and you cant replicate that experience that in the home :)

• Like 1

commercial theatres are mostly at best 2K or blu-ray equivalent, and it doesnt take much to easily better commercial setups at home. mine is not a high end projector setup and sit at home with screen and distance combination at what would be equivalent to mid row in a theatre and easily outdoes for PQ what you get in a reasonable commercial theatre. If can catch at an imax that would be another thing that is 4K and you cant replicate that experience that in the home :)

On the Astor Theatre calendar it says that Samsara is showing 4K. They have quite a large screen there although not IMAX it should be a nice presentation.I have seen many movies there and as it is a single screen cinema so they do take a lot of care with the PQ and the SQ.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="holdencaulfield2007" data-cid="830225" data-time="1358549979"><p>

On the Astor Theatre calendar it says that Samsara is showing 4K. They have quite a large screen there although not IMAX it should be a nice presentation.I have seen many movies there and as it is a single screen cinema so they do take a lot of care with the PQ and the SQ.</p></blockquote>

Astor would be a very good way to experience. They run 4K indeed. While not IMAX still a 20m screen ! Not quite can do at home hehe. Watched blade runner there some years ago in 4K. Very much enjoyed. Definitely step up from commercial theaters :)

Edited by :) al

Saw it at the IMAX...if I had any saliva in my mouth I would have been drooling all over myself. Jaw-droping. Life of Pie last night was eye candy but nothing beats Samsara I reckon.

Best of the trilogy I thought. 

Hi,

This movie you really should see in a 4k(best) or 2k cinema to see it as the director etc wanted.DCI projector use P3 color space at 12bits 4.4.4 which is much wider than rec 709 8bit used on Bluray.

In 2002, representatives from the major studios, as well as the American Society of Cinematographers, got together to form a group now known as DCi. DCi's goal was to create and agree to a series of standards for digital cinema exhibition, standards that are somewhat fluid, but still manage to set a baseline that everyone can follow. In other words, DCi sought to create a level playing field. Looking past the copy-protection aspect of the DCi standard, it's pretty clear what else plays into presenting a proper 2K/4K image. For starters, the compression method used is JPEG2000, as opposed to h.264/MPEG-4 AVC VC-1, which is commonly found in many of today's Blu-ray discs. JPEG2000 is less evasive than h.264, resulting in much larger file sizes. Next up, we have a different color space in CIE 1931 XYZ, which is vastly larger than HD's Rec. 709 - seriously, the Rec. 709 triangle fits inside the native CIE space with more than just room to spare. Also, DCi standard mandates 12-bit color, whereas our current Blu-ray standard calls for only eight-bit color, though deep-color-enabled devices do their best to increase bit depth to 10-bit. What does that mean? Without going crazy with technical details, Blu-ray's eight-bit color equals just under 17 million (16,777,216) possible colors displayed, whereas DCi's 12-bit standard equals over 68 billion. Add it all up and it means that, when properly implemented, 4K should give you a visual presentation that begs belief, one that is both richer in color and contrast than what you can see at home, as well as one that is sharper in detail. That, my friends, is what 4K is truly all about: the combination of increased resolution with a larger color space that not only allows for more color to be seen, but color that is also more acutely defined.

The projectors(DCI) can display 35 trillion colours,and are far more accurate than any other projectors used at home.

I,ll get the bluray too.

• Like 1

Agree that it looks great. Some memorable footage. I saw it at the cinema and frankly it didn't gell with me the same way Baraka did. Generally I found the ideas repetitious, overly pessimistic and the overall narrative much weaker than Baraka. More than anything else it felt like left overs from Baraka...show me Man with a Movie Camera, something by Chris Marker like Sunless or just Baraka anyday...

Totally agree with you, I was expecting a lot more. The soundtrack also didn't blow me away like Baraka did. It didn't seem nearly as tightly integrated.. I heard that the soundtrack was written after the movie, rather than in conjunction with it like Baraka's soundtrack was. Seems like Ron Fricke has become rather jaded with the world over the past 20 years. Where Baraka was filled with hope and optimism, Samsara seemed to be filled with pessimism and vitriol. I didn't hate the film, but I was hoping for more.

Has anybody here seen Chronos? Its an earlier Ron Fricke film, made around 1985, so pre-dates Baraka. I have the DVD and it is pretty good. The movie has been restored, and looks great. Its fairly short, around 42 minutes long, but contains some amazing time lapse sequences. The extras on the DVD are quite interesting, especially the one describing 'the beam', which is an instrument they used for the soundtrack. I think it may be on blu-ray now.

Chronos was originally made as an IMAX film. If you do get a copy, just be careful to get the right version. I have the 2004 'Special Collector's Edition' DVD, which is pretty good. There is an earlier release of Chronos on DVD, but I don't think its as good, picture quality wise (from what I've heard). It looks like it was also released on blu-ray in 2012, but I'm not sure if that is US only at this stage. There is also another movie called Cronos on DVD and blu-ray, which is totally unrelated, so don't get confused by that.

My DVD copy has the cover below.

post-106677-0-56444300-1359245507_thumb.

Note that there is also another movie called Samsara, about a Tibetan buddhist monk, not to be confused with the more recent Ron Fricke film of the same name. I saw this other Samsara on DVD a few years ago, and thought it was quite a good movie in its own right.

Edited by emesbee

The DVD is region 0. Do they make blu-ray discs region free? I'm not sure.

Hmm, should have followed that link before I posted. I guess they do.

yep quite a few blu-rays are multi region, matter of checking. but seem just cant buy the chronos blu-ray unless want to pay some ridiculous amount for it. must be out of print :(

Edited by :) al

I notice that amazon.com (US) have the blu-ray for quite a cheap price, but it says Region A. I checked amazon.co.uk, and they only have the US import, also region A (only one copy though). So, I'm now a bit confused about the region coding on this disc. My presumption is that the blu-ray may only have been released in the US at this stage.

http://www.amazon.com/Chronos-IMAX-Blu-ray-None/dp/B0089PZC1U/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1359326674&sr=1-1&keywords=Chronos

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chronos-Blu-ray-US-Ron-Fricke/dp/B0089PZC1U/ref=sr_1_3?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1359326851&sr=1-3