Are Music Downloads Already Outdated?

Just wondering if you think that downloads are already past their use by date? I'm thinking that in the near future if you wish to purchase an individual title for keeps, that you'll purchase the rights from a music streaming service that will entitle you to play it for ever and also stream it from the Cloud to any of your portable devices anytime anywhere. But what I'm really getting at is that the music will be hi-res 24/192 quality and not the low bit rates currently on offer which will remain for the 'all you can eat' streaming services. So people who want quality sound will get it this way. Discuss!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure that the music distributors would prefer a model like that, except that they would want you to pay every time you access a title from the 'cloud'. There will also be problems with bandwidth, and availability of the source.

It doesn't appeal to me though. I prefer the idea of hi-res music on blu-ray, but I don't know if that will ever take off.

I think massive hardware upgrades are needed to our current communications infrastructure before we can think of that kind of system. The current 3G/4G is already running over capacity, if the population relied on it even more to take music on the go from the cloud, then we would be in big trouble

Am i right to be worried with the future of music? We you old buggers worried when the CD started coming out and 'revolutionising' the way we bought and listened to music?

Guest fordgtlover

Geeezz, I can't even get reliable wireless performance across 20 meters for my squeezebox. Technology has some way to go before the delivery model described by the OP is viable for anything other than MP3s, which is already available and in use.

I still use CDs in addition to computer based, but either way, I like the idea of the music that I have paid for being under my control.

I think massive hardware upgrades are needed to our current communications infrastructure before we can think of that kind of system. The current 3G/4G is already running over capacity, if the population relied on it even more to take music on the go from the cloud, then we would be in big trouble

Am i right to be worried with the future of music? We you old buggers worried when the CD started coming out and 'revolutionising' the way we bought and listened to music?

Can't say that I was. But when LP vinyl started to take over from 45s, we were shaking in our boots!

I don't disagree with you.

As long as people are using torrent sites to download music illegally (it is still illegal despite people claiming otherwise) and there are not enough people willing to pay, all you will get is the non 24 bit quality.

The music industry may not be able to prevent mp3 illegal downloads but hi-res that takes much longer to download, well they just may be able to get people to willingly pay for that.

The music industry may not be able to prevent mp3 illegal downloads but hi-res that takes much longer to download, well they just may be able to get people to willingly pay for that.

Hardly. Downloading full Blu Ray rips is now common place. Downloading Hi Res audio is trivial and has been for years.

Hardly. Downloading full Blu Ray rips is now common place. Downloading Hi Res audio is trivial and has been for years.

I think that the difference is that whilst there are people that download many movies, they are downloaded and often only watched once. Music is listened to many times, if many people are streaming a particular new release in hi-res many times a day for many weeks as is common then there will be huge strain on bandwidth and download limits

I might pay a very small fee for a streaming subscription as a substitute for hearing new music on the radio, but I will never buy individual pieces of music on a medium I don't fully control.

Are you listening record companies?

I think if the quality is right, and a good player is available, then sure this is definitely part of the future. Why store things locally when you can access them online. I know the downsides, but I've been using Rhapsody for 6 months now and am happy with the reliability. The only two issues with this setup for me at the moment is the lack of music quality, and the time lag with navigation.

I also agree with Jeff that if this is the future, I wouldn't be paying for ownership (ie 'buying' a track), I'd rather do as I do now and just pay the subscription.

I wonder myself about formats, and that as popularity of CDs wane in favour of online, if the popularity of LPs will increase because it's so vastly different and can offer a totally different experience....

I like the idea of the music that I have paid for being under my control.

Me too. I want to be able to play the music I like whenever I want. I'll be sticking with CDs for quite a while yet (probably forever, given the size of my collection).

Streaming high res music on demand from the cloud is probably going to be an option once bandwidth increases and somebody seeks to meet the audiophile market. I'm not confident that we'll ever get the majority of music in high res formats though. More likely just to be niche labels as it is today.