The Wandboard - Squeezebox Alternative - Beginners Guide

• Administrator

This is a loose guide to getting up and running with an alternative to Squeezebox Touch. This came about at the request of a number of members at GTG's that have asked me how I went about it. (I will be adding photos throughout this guide, as I take them and update them).

I give full credit to those that guided me initially, all from StereoNET's forums to point me in the right direction. I must also give thanks to @ who generously offered to include my Wandboard order with his, and ship it down to me in Melbourne.

By no means am I an expert on this topic, and I'm picking up new ideas all the time, I do have my digital streaming source to a point where I am happy however, and can share this experience with others.

So my aim was simple. A streaming system capable of equivalent sound to CD (in my case, a Consonance Droplet), preferably headless, that could be controlled by phone/tablet.

To put this in context, I'd purchased a Squeezebox Touch (SBT). The sound quality from the internal DAC was absolutely shocking (I don't care what anyone says). So the round of upgrades came quickly. First off setup Touch Toolbox 3.0 along with all the suggested software tweaks. It was an improvement. The next upgrade was a Teddy Pardo power supply - remarkable improvement! Still not content though, I then setup EDO (Enhanced Digital Output), which yielded the best sound quality so far. I had to uninstall Toolbox 3.0 to make this work, but left all the suggested server software tweaks in place.

I experimented with cables and so on, particularly on the network side of things, but more on that later.

Ultimately, the best I felt I could get out of a SBT, was not on par with my CD playback system.

I had seen the Wandboard mentioned in a few posts.

The Wandboard is a ultra low power complete computer with high performance multimedia capabilities based around the Freescale i.MX6 Cortex-A9 processor.

Follow the link for more information on what it is and what it can do.

To me, this seemed like a good option, far more powerful than the SBT in terms of processing power. Small, silent, and no noisy LCD's or similar. Best part of all, the core Logitech software can run on this platform.

This is not a comprehensive guide; I'm typing direct as I think of the process I went through so forgive me if it doesn't flow :)

It can be purchased from here: http://au.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Ne=254016&N=1323038+14977768+4290857237
I'd recommend the Quad core, as it's simply more powerful. There was talk of a daughterboard for something or other developed for the dual-core, but I don't need that board for anything that I can't do already.
I'd also suggest buying the available enclosure from the same site, as it's designed for it and a perfect fit.

The Wandboard can also be powered by the Teddy Pardo PS, and as I already had that, I saw it as another advantage. So as mentioned, @ organised my Wandboard and it arrived.
You need a Micro-SD card (from memory, minimum 8Gb capacity) to store the OS, so best buy a good quality card before the wandboard arrives.

Basically, you flash the SD with the Community Squeeze software. All details for this can be found here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?98521-Announce-Community-Squeeze (It's relatively straight forward).
Insert the SD, and you're not far off being up and running. I should point out, Community Squeeze is a stripped/scaled down version of the firmware/software that runs on the actual Squeezebox. For whatever reasons, it's been released by one of the original authors from the Squeezebox' original developers / authors (someone might correct me on this).

Now that's out of the way, I'll talk about my actual setup.

I have now achieved equal resolution/sound quality to my previous CD playback system with my current setup. I have now stopped tweaking and for the moment have no reason to try further tweaks or changes. Anything 96kHz or better sounds better than CD quality, but I am yet to here any audible improvement above 96kHz, including 192/24. It does just give you a nice feeling knowing your source is "ultra" high resolution however. I don't think I can hear the difference myself, at least on my current system.

For the "Squeezebox Server", you actually still download and run the genuine Logitech software. In my case, and I am not aware how much difference / improvement this is making in my system, I am fortunate to run a Synology DS412+ NAS drive, attached to my local, gigabit network. I appreciate this is not a cheap NAS option, however as a storage device for media, work, and more, with redundancy and all the apps, it works for me. I also run Western Digital Red drives, designed for NAS use.

The ability to run Logitech Server as a downloadable app straight to the NAS drive was a complete surprise, and not even thought of when I initially purchased the NAS. Simple setup, download & install from the NAS web browser interface. Open settings, point it to your media folders and away you go.

post-103433-0-30229100-1395056713_thumb.

post-103433-0-18732100-1395056711_thumb.

So just like a Squeezebox, you now have "Logitech Media Server" running (either on a PC, MAC, or NAS) - accessible via your local lan and web browser. You now also have at this point flashed "Community Squeeze" to an SD card inserted into your Wandboard.

I then followed the Touch Toolbox 3.0 "IV. Modifications and Setup" to adjust the server settings. Do not attempt any of the TT 3.0 software installation. I have tweaked a few of these settings, but nothing worth noting at this point.

You also access your SqueezeLite Player via a web browser:

post-103433-0-01737300-1395060391_thumb.

post-103433-0-08709000-1395060390_thumb.

The only real setting that needs to be setup initially here, is the "Audio Device", where you select your USB/DAC output.

My source system:

And so on to Pre-Amp, Amps, Speakers etc.

post-103433-0-07268000-1395059954_thumb. post-103433-0-73693300-1395059967_thumb.

post-103433-0-90753400-1395059984_thumb. post-103433-0-33529100-1395060001_thumb.

post-103433-0-75604100-1395060015_thumb.

A note on network connection. Originally, I actually ran a Cat5E cable direct from my network switch, direct to Wandboard. This worked, but playing 192/24, I would get some lag/latency issues. Not entirely sure why, but whilst researching I found a thread on another forum suggesting that running a WiFi extender, particularly the one mentioned above, is a better option than being hard-wired. I was skeptical about this, for the absolutely obvious reasons. As my 'hard-wire' was running across the room and only temporary anyway, I decided to bite the bullet and buy one. Would you believe that not only did I notice an improved quality of sound, I no longer had any dropouts or lag.

I can only put this down to the fact that supposedly the TL-WA850RE "buffers" the incoming packets, and provides that buffer to the Wandboard. It makes sense, I guess. I didn't quite understand why it was better, but it was.

Happy to answer any questions anyone may have. As said, this was simply posted on the fly while I could think of it all. I will edit and add to it as time goes on.

From experience, I found the Wandboard solution and my setup to be far more capable, trouble free and reliable than a Squeezebox Touch. What part of my setup makes the biggest difference, I'm not really sure. I put a BIG emphasis on the TeddyPardo power supply.

• Like 12

• Administrator

I realise this probably sounds a little daunting to a non-IT type person. It isn't. Really, the hardest part is the networking, whether you run a NAS, or run your music collection on an external hard drive, connected to a laptop running Logitech Media Server - it's the same in terms of setup and knowledge.

The instructions for setting up Community Squeeze are really straight forward.

For the "brave" among you it's also possible to install  Arch Linux for ARM processors and  Squeezelite on the Wandboard and to use it as a Touch replacement without using CSOS.  Arch Linux is pretty lean with the end result it runs faster and utilises fewer resources.  If there's sufficient interest I'll start a separate thread on getting this done and could make an image file available for download.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot Marc. I was looking at the previous threads and whilst I have recently started the Touch journey I thought that the next move could be a Wandboard.

Whilst I can go onto other forums I like SNA and I would appreciate comments

I have a few questions:

What is the difference on a wandboard with/without the Teddy Pardo? In other words how sensitive is it to a good power supply? I did notice that for you it did make a big difference on the Touch, but was it the same on the wandboard.

What is the difference between running wireless compared to this extender (or others)?

Edited by Jventer

• Administrator

@@Jventer.

As the Wandboard is not supplied with a power supply (they expect you'll use a locally available wall wart), my experience tells me not necessarily how poor these are, but more so (IMO), the noise they potentially inject back into the rest of the system through the mains circuit. The difference as mentioned between the wall wart, and the Teddy Pardo PS with the SBT was so dramatic, that I never even attempted running a wall wart with the Wandboard. As I already had the TeddyPardo, this was used from the start. So ultimately I cannot answer your question specifically.

I did run wirelessly / Wi-Fi with the SBT, and had connectivity issues with streaming high resolution (192/24) files (dropouts etc). By the time I got to the Wandboard, I already had the TP-Link extender, so again, I can't really answer that question I'm afraid.

• Administrator

@@krebetman - I do not, as I'm not confident in what is being done to the signal to upsample. Generally anything redbook and higher is of sufficient quality for me, so don't see the need to.

On my Hegel HD25 DAC, there is a little known secret. You press and hold the Input button, and it shows you what resolution is incoming. I like this feature. Sometimes when enjoying some music, out of curiosity I hit this button to see if there is a trend in what I am enjoying (all 192, or 96 etc), but there doesn't appear to be a trend.

@@wolster - 2 clicks. Hit the server button, and the list of available servers is show (assuming you have selected "scan for available servers" in the settings). I've never had the need to use squeezebox.com myself. However heading over to @'s place yesterday, I jumped on his WiFi, and automatically his server showed up and I had full control of his system (/evil laugh).

• Like 2

Excellent thread guys. Would there be any issues running a DSD dac in this config?

And if you make DoP files of your DSD, you can play it to your DSD DAC which should play it as native DSD.

On-the-fly DoP conversion at the server (from .dff and .dsf) is coming.

• Interface: Quad Wandboard  $188
Wandboard Case $13
  • Phone Software: Orange Squeeze (app)  $5
  • Power Supply: Teddy Pardo (Squeezebox Version)  $400
  • DAC: Hegel HD25 (AU RRP $3995)
  • USB Cable: Straight Wire USB
  • Interconnects: Audio Metallurgy GA-0
  • Network Cable: Meicord Opal  $100
  • Wireless Receiver: TP-Link TL-WA850RE 300Mbps Universal WiFi Range Extender  $50
  • Storage: Synology DS412+  $650

Hi Marc - this is very interesting, as I am looking at a post-XP build. Have I got the prices right?

• Administrator

For the "brave" among you it's also possible to install  Arch Linux for ARM processors and  Squeezelite on the Wandboard and to use it as a Touch replacement without using CSOS.  Arch Linux is pretty lean with the end result it runs faster and utilises fewer resources.  If there's sufficient interest I'll start a separate thread on getting this done and could make an image file available for download.

I'd be interested in testing this back to back if you could provide the information please.

With the ability to sync players, and two inputs on my DAC, I'd do it on another wandboard and A/B test.