Gieseler Audio

Klein DAC II

matth   

Guys,

last Friday I attended the DSD512 Fest in Munich. It was a pleasure to experience first-hand what upsampling of all files to DSD512 brings to the party.

Matt

Jventer   

I am not an expert, but I think we have some misconceptions here.

I have posted earlier that IMO one has to decide what type of dac you want, e.g ladder type, the latest and greatest or DSD. There are different dacs for different purposes and tastes and it is not that anyone is wrong, it is just that we are different.

Where DSD comes in is not so much the source material. This is a BIG misconception. Source material is not the issue. 

What is happening now is that computers and software are used to upsample music to DSD 512 and then fed to the dac. 

A DSD512 dac is able to play source material up to DSD512, but at this stage it is more aimed to play the music upsampled by software like HQplayer. 

Edit: Thanks @@matth for clarifying - I am wrong then

Edited by Jventer

matth   

With a DSD512 capable Klein DAC you get all you need and with an additional SRC chip inside the DAC you do not need a software player for converting the files.

Matt

Edited by matth

Hey any chance of some feedback on the sound difference on DSD when using the bypass option.

This is implemented by pressing the mute button (lowest button) on the remote control. "B" shows on display

When on it bypasses quite a bit of the AK4490's internal circuitry.

Taken out of the loop are;

soft mute/attenuation control,  interpolator & the Delta sigma Modulator.

see block diagram

post-112957-0-24219200-1462916569_thumb.

Unfortunately there is a twenty five percent drop in level during bypass so you need to quickly level match during comparisons.

I still can't quite decide myself if there is a big improvement or not.

Anyone tried this?

matth   

@Clay:

Do you know if there is a DSD to PCM conversion for volume control of DSD signals in the AK4490 or is volume control for DSD signals performed in the DSD domain without conversion to PCM?

@Jventer:

Thanks, no problem.

Kind regards

Matt

Edited by matth

Good question Matt - I have not looked into that as I don't use the digital antenuator in the chip for level control but I have certainly thought about it. Re reading the data sheet the answer to your question is not clear. Next time I am taking to AKM I will check with them about it. For my DAC pre I will be using the Muses 72320 electron volume chip for level control. This is a awesum device for level control, very transparent & rated better than a lot of switched level antenuators including the Goldpoint. The good thing is it will never wear out or get noisy like a switch or pot can. I have just upgraded my preamp & the level control using the Muse chip is incredibly good with a very smooth precise control action & perfect click free muting. I will do a release on the new Preamp in Stereonet in the next few days.

Edited by Gieseler Audio

matth   

Clay,

you can be proud of your DACs, your preamp and power supplies, all terrific products, indeed.

All serious reports about volume control say the same: The analogue control like implemented with the Muses in the Klein Preamp is much superior to a DVC.

So IMO for the best sound quality the way to go is to use the direct DSD path with a good analogue volume control.

Matt

Edited by matth

Is there a point in upsampling files to DSD 256 or 512?

Does it make much of a difference? I've never done it myself hence why I'm asking.

Could be an interesting experiment for me to do.

matth   

Suopermanni,

there is a great discussion about that on the CA forum. Please go to this forum, take the search function and look for the posts of the contributor EURODRIVER. You will find all the infos you need.

Matt

Edited by matth

What's the CA forum, could you give me a link or a complete name to look up? Not familiar with it, sorry!