Klein DAC II

Gieseler Audio

Specs - I will list it all properly in the next few days.

DAC chip - same as the Klein, AK4490EQ.

It is basically still a Klein but with DSD & remote control plus a few other PSU upgrades.

There is quite a bit more technology in it plus display & remote so that has bumped the price up a bit.

Also there was a fair amount of time spent on the software/firmware for the micro controller but this certainly makes it a more flexible design.

The standard Klein will continue as not everybody needs DSD or remote functions.

• Like 4

Nice looking unit !

A DAC / PRE with balanced out would definitely be something I would be interested in purchasing given the great feedback you are receiving.

I would prefer no toggles !

• Like 1

Hi Ray,

We are currently designing a higher end unit which is a combination of this DAC plus my Preamplifer.

There will probably be a balanced out option on that model.

No toggles either - full remote.

Analogue inputs (at least one) I reckon is a must. Colour me keen if that box is ticked!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK guys all points noted re bigger model.

Well I have been thoroughly testing the Klein II prototype for the last two weeks & have now finally ironed out the last few bugs.

We put a lot of effort into auto muting so you can play a DSD PCM mixed playlist perfectly with zero clicks or pops even with any sample rate combinations. I must admit I'm rather enjoying a playlist like that as it is a great way to compare DSD vs PCM. I have also implemented a few more PSU improvements as well. Final production won't start for a couple of weeks as the above changes required a new PCB which have now been ordered.

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 1

Specs - I will list it all properly in the next few days.

DAC chip - same as the Klein, AK4490EQ.

It is basically still a Klein but with DSD & remote control plus a few other PSU upgrades.

There is quite a bit more technology in it plus display & remote so that has bumped the price up a bit.

Also there was a fair amount of time spent on the software/firmware for the micro controller but this certainly makes it a more flexible design.

The standard Klein will continue as not everybody needs DSD or remote functions.

will their much more sound improvement over original Klein Dac? I don't care for remote and dsd. I have the taste of great clarity with the Klein dac and I wont more!! with out getting a personal loan. Can anything compete with the Klein dac at this price point?

• Like 1

will their much more sound improvement over original Klein Dac? I don't care for remote and dsd. I have the taste of great clarity with the Klein dac and I wont more!! with out getting a personal loan. Can anything compete with the Klein dac at this price point?

Never heard a Klein DAC.

Are there places one could demo in Melbourne

I had on loan the original for a while (from a local member), I must say for the dollar value it would be hard to beat.

I would say it was slightly better in many ways (particularily dynamics) to my old trusty 10 year old unit which cost many times more.

Hopefully soon I may be able to try this new unit and see if it can sway me.

It's going to come down to how it sounds in my system, but if it's much better it could be a winner.

You could argue the new Chord Mojo is a very good competitor. Also saw a Matrix X-Sabre DAC for $999 on the website of a local retailer. I went from an Arcam irDAC to the Klein and the difference was extremely miniscule, but the Klein was ever so slightly better at fine detail and dynamics.

Edited by ~Spyne~

You could argue the new Chord Mojo is a very good competitor. Also saw a Matrix X-Sabre DAC for $999 on the website of a local retailer. I went from an Arcam irDAC to the Klein and the difference was extremely miniscule, but the Klein was ever so slightly better at fine detail and dynamics.

Have you heard the Matrix X Sabre ?

Have you heard the Matrix X Sabre ?

Unfortunately not, only read glowing reviews for the past 3 years. However, a lot has happened in that time and the Chord Mojo, I'm led to believe from several trusted sources, is very, VERY good.

Also to note is the Matrix generally reviews as being very good with computer/streamed audio, but not quite as stellar with CD content.

The reason why I asked is I'm starting to listen to music in the theater room and want a better 2 channel DAC than my Marantz sr7009 receiver, from what i could find on google the marantz uses a PCM1690 how its implemented no idea but sounds pretty good. BUT using the Klein dac on my headphone setup has raised the bar and I expect or want better and was leaning towards another Klein dac for 2ch duties and the marantz just amplifying.

• Like 1

Regarding sonic differences between the standard Klein & the II.

They both have the same analog output circuitry so on paper at least they should sound very similar. The final production Klein II does however have improvements in the analogue & digital power supply sections so this may have an affect on the outcome.

Once I have a final production Klein II (next week) I will do an A B comparison & post the results. The main advantage of the II is DSD playback. Speaking of DSD I have been enjoying the sound of all my SACD images which now play back perfectly on the II as DSD64 

Regarding sonic differences between the standard Klein & the II.

They both have the same analog output circuitry so on paper at least they should sound very similar. The final production Klein II does however have improvements in the analogue & digital power supply sections so this may have an affect on the outcome.

Once I have a final production Klein II (next week) I will do an A B comparison & post the results. The main advantage of the II is DSD playback. Speaking of DSD I have been enjoying the sound of all my SACD images which now play back perfectly on the II as DSD64 

Much appreciated Clay. Thanks

PS. more curious compared to SE edition as there is one on sale in forums IF still available that is!

Edited by amisty

Hey guys just wanted to show you a 1 k square wave with the new 

"super slow roll off" natural tone 

5th filter setting which is only available on Klein II 

Scope shot taken with 48k sample rate signal - I tried 44k (& 96K) - they all looked the same.

RE SE version - as soon as I have a production Klein II I do I will do a A B against that as well.

post-112957-0-03111400-1459228988_thumb.

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 2

So, are you going to have a display of any kind at the up coming international show?

I'd like to see your stuff in real life.