This is Sounding Very Nice! 150L Bass Reflex Box, 10 x Driver Fourway Loudspeaker, Accuton-Ribbon-Aurum Cantus-Vifa Array.

Steve M

I've been having the usual fun over the Christmas-New Year period building a new set of ambitious ultimate loudspeakers ...this is where I am at, doing what makes the most difference (to me) that is, concentrating on LOUDSPEAKERS combined with complicated EQ'ing (to suit my large room) via an active digital crossover and room tuning.

The new fourway loudspeaker consists of an 150L mdf Bass Reflex box, 2 x DBX DRPA digital crossover units, four stereo amplifiers mainly Class AB amplification, one Class D and a total of 385w/ch, 4 x 5" Accuton C79-6 ceramic pure midrange drivers (@$2K), large Aurum Cantus G1 ribbon tweeters (@ $1K, 102dB efficiency (8 ohm impedance and goes down to 800Hz - meaning its very flexible), an AC 8" carbon mid-bass driver and a Vifa 8" bass unit from 50Hz and below (Fs @ 24Hz). All crossed around the traditional three way crossover points of 500Hz and 5kHz, give or take +/- a few hertz to suit.

Sounds awesome to me and tuned to sound like a blend between the transparency of my DDESL stats (fast and accurate) and the impact of Edgar Horns (exciting and scintillating).

Not for me to judge the speaker however, as we all tend to get caught up in 'own little world' including myself, so do welcome any SNAer's to check them out if ur in Perth. I am confident most people would like this loudspeaker.

Cheers,

Steve.

DSC_0025_zpsnphaidyq.jpgDSC_0024_zpsoptmmt59.jpgDSC_0023_zpstlnttyil.jpgDSC_0027_zpsa6auq2tt.jpgDSC_0026_zpsu9k8ei55.jpg

Edited by Steve M
  • Like 13

Not for me to judge the speaker however, as we all tend to get caught up in 'own little world' including myself, so do welcome any SNAer's to check them out if ur in Perth. I am confident most people would like this loudspeaker.

Sounds interesting, i'm in. As of 3pm today i'm on leave for 2 weeks so any time suits me.

Also I've another new toy, maybe a swap of opinions??

Cheers

Dave

Looks good Steve.

Why the 5000 Hz crossover?Seems pretty high to me.

Although I guess having the same drivers covering such a wide frequency range brings it own benefits?

I think you need another two woofers on top though-Duntech style!

Was fortunate enough to have a listen to Steve's white monoliths today, and as usual it's always a great experence to hear what Steve can get out of a system. As a whole they are a very well put together pair of speakers, but the standout for me was the ribbon tweeters.

@@Steve M a couple for you to checkout (on Spotify) The Necks ( transparent roads, the title track), The Kilimanjaro Dark Jazz Ensemble. Also been listening to a bit of Gillian Welch and Lera Lynn (stunning version of ring of fire, almost as good as Wall Of Voodoo's version)

Cheers

Dave

I heard them, very nice.... accurate but also pleasing to the ear, you did a good job tuning them Steve

Thanks Mick, appreciate the feedback from a discerning ear.

Was fortunate enough to have a listen to Steve's white monoliths today, and as usual it's always a great experence to hear what Steve can get out of a system. As a whole they are a very well put together pair of speakers, but the standout for me was the ribbon tweeters.

@@Steve M a couple for you to checkout (on Spotify) The Necks ( transparent roads, the title track), The Kilimanjaro Dark Jazz Ensemble. Also been listening to a bit of Gillian Welch and Lera Lynn (stunning version of ring of fire, almost as good as Wall Of Voodoo's version)

Cheers

Dave

Glad you liked them Dave, good that you liked the ribbons (I've got them sounding pretty sweet and airy I think) and that you didn't notice the Accuton mids too much, in that they did a disappearing act, which is the way it is meant to be (the Accutons are quite hard to tame and get right). Likewise your PSE144 horn based system is sounding excellent and look forward to hearing them with the DEQX in tow. I think you were pretty impressed with the Antipodes DX clone server from Conchblower/Liam ...might convert you from the vinyl spell hey, maybe? Also, will check out those discs you recommended via Spotify.

Looks good Steve.

Why the 5000 Hz crossover?Seems pretty high to me.

Although I guess having the same drivers covering such a wide frequency range brings it own benefits?

I think you need another two woofers on top though-Duntech style!

Jon, the Accuton ribbon spkr array is sounding very good, I reckon my skill with the DBX is better than most, without blowing my own trumpet too much. Drive the input hard, tons of Parametric Eq & Graphic Eq to compensate for room effects, get the meters jumping and get the x-o settings right - and the DBX essentially disappears. The upper crossover point for the mid-tweeter transition started at 5kHz, but what Mick and Dave heard was at 3.2kHz which sounds just about right I think. As mentioned, the big Aurum Cantus G-1 ribbon tweeter is very flexible with 102dB efficiency @ a friendly 8 ohm impedence and goes down to 800Hz, quite meaty sounding and nothing like other ribbons I have used, the alluminium ribbon is about 6 x the surface area of your smaller Fountek ribbon. The trick too is to run the Accuton up quite high to support the lack of strength of the ribbon, which the Accuton can do easily because of its hard ceramic material, the stiff pistonic behaviour and 'fast' sound.

Looking very nice......great job!!

Serg, you are welcome to drop by anytime.

Cheers,

Steve.

Edited by Steve M

Glad you liked them Dave, good that you liked the ribbons (I've got them sounding pretty sweet and airy I think) and that you didn't notice the Accuton mids too much, in that they did a disappearing act

Not just the mids, you've done a great job making the speakers (as a whole) disappear when the music starts.

I think you were pretty impressed with the Antipodes DX clone server from Conchblower/Liam ...might convert you from the vinyl spell hey, maybe?

No, I think vinyl will always be my reference preference. :unsure:

BUT, with not everything I want being released on vinyl and the disappointment of the SQ with some I have bought, has me thinking. A bit of thought and effort into finding a the right server based player, I should be able to get closer to the SQ of my TT. Plus there seem to be a few releases these days that are Download only, so it would open up another door.

Yes, was quite impressed with the DX clone.

Cheers

Dave