Cleaning RCA connections.

G'day all, I was just reading a thread on another audio forum on the sonic benefits of cleaning audio connectors and such.  I myself do this quite regularly and in fact with my tendency to 'rotate' audio gear such cleaning happens automatically! 

That being said I just realised that the line level inputs on my CA power amplifier haven't been touched since installed (quite a few months or so), so I just worked the RCA plugs in and out of their sockets for a while and guess what, there is a noticeable sonic improvement. 

With connectors that haven't been touched for this length of time, I almost expected this knowing what I know about such things from work experience.  It can and does make a sonic difference.  Regards, Felix.    

That Signet RCA cleaning tool is extremely cool!!  It's on my shopping list! :thumb:

Thanks,

Andy

Unfortunately I find that it doesn't work anywhere near as well as I had hoped :(

EDIT: although, that is with older amps. With modern items which only have a small build-up of muck, perhaps they would work better.

Edited by pete_mac
  • Like 1

Unfortunately I find that it doesn't work anywhere near as well as I had hoped :(

EDIT: although, that is with older amps. With modern items which only have a small build-up of muck, perhaps they would work better.

I use a wire brush in a Dremel to clean up really bad RCAs and then use the Signet tool in a battery drill with either Deoxit R5 or ProGold to finish off. Works a treat!

G'day all, just a slight aside but I wonder if anyone can give any testimony to the value of cleaning audio connectors in practice?  I have certainly observed this, what about others?  Regards, Felix.   

I've found on some of the older gear that has some tarnish on the RCA connectors the DX5 does help, not so much on already clean or well looked after stuff. Physically cleaning them is just as effective, but I find contact cleaner more convenient.

I spray some on a cotton bud and use it that way, I dont want to damage any print or paintwork. I've found that Deoxit works better than any other contact cleaner I've used.

When i used Naim seperates i would annually power everything down and remove all the din cables and give each of them a good shake for a few minutes. I would then remove and insert them about 10 times, you could hear the pins grating on the female part of the connector and they would be shiny when done. From memory i could swear it sounded better.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm a bit late to this thread but I use these for cleaning not only RCA connectors but XLR and other types of connectors.

RCA_Cleaners.thumb.JPG.0da658d64c685ccd058c2193e7b9ea58.JPG

The small "Piksters" are available at most chemists in the oral care section (next to the tooth brushes).  I use size 7 with a dash of DeoxIT and insert it into the female RCA and twist it a few times. They also fit well in the gap between the pin and ground of a male RCA.  I use size 4 for XLR holes using the same technique.  They are far better than cotton buds as they do not leave any debris behind.

The larger brush on the bottom of the photo comes from an "Overflow" or $2 shop and can be found in the makeup section (I noticed them dribbling around behind my wife). They are good for power cords and other larger connectors.  I also use some green cleaning pads (again from the $2 shop) cut into strips to push the end down into the gap of a male RCA if it is particularly tarnished and needs a good clean.  After a few turns the metal is shining and clean.

Hope these tips help folks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Weka said:

After a thorough clean I recommend applying some Stabilant 22 contact treatment.

Stabilant 22 is a trigger for corrosion. I wouldn't use it on RJ45 contacts, SD contacts, or HDD contacts, all of which I've had corrosion problems due to using Stabilant 22.

1 minute ago, WhakPak said:

Stabilant 22 is a trigger for corrosion. I wouldn't use it on RJ45 contacts, SD contacts, or HDD contacts, all of which I've had corrosion problems due to using Stabilant 22.

Mmm... hadn't heard of that before. Guess I'd better do some research before continuing to use it.