Official Gieseler Preamplifier & Power Supply Release

Gieseler Audio

The transformer I use is fairly large so I am not sure if it would fit.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/Power-Products-Electrical/Plugpacks/Desktop---AC-Output/240V-to-12VAC-105W-Indoor-Garden-Lighting-Transformers/p/MP3043

I could supply just the board & then you could source a suitable transformer - eg a toroidal

http://www.jaycar.com.au/Power-Products-Electrical/Power-Conversion-%26-Transformation/AC-AC-Transformers/12V-0-12V-160VA-Toroidal-Transformer/p/MT2112

You would then have to do the mains wiring though.

I think the mains wiring may be a bridge too far from a safety POV.

I need to wait for my Christmas guests to leave before I have access to my listening room. I'll do some measurements then and get some photos.

Sounds good so far though.

Cheers

Andrew

In this case none. When I was building my SE AK4495 DAC I did not have any spare SE panels (I'm always short on panels) but some old Limted Edition ones so I used those. The Limited Edition was to be a special version for dealers only but never eventuated. I went the direct marketing rout only as this kept the price down & represents good value.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Guest scumbag

@@mattjtaylor2809,

I am currently running the Auralic Mini with the Klein power supply. Initial impressions of the Mini with the standard PSU was that it was detailed and resolving but had just the slightest hint of brightness. Some running in on the Mini is advised but there was still just a hint of brightness even after a week of use. I got the Klein PSU of Clay about a week after purchasing the Mini.

Initially I didn't read too much into my listening as I was running the set-up with an older set od speakers that didn't have as resolved a midrange. Since last year I have been testing it with a pretty high resolution set of speakers that I have been developing so I have been able to listen in more detail to the Mini. I run the Mini into a Klein DAC then into either a Redgum ENR35i Black or a Rotel RA-10 (this last one for speaker testing more than relaxed listening). Bass is not thunderous but the that's more to d with the Mini I think - playing with the filters on the Klein DAC might alter that balance but I hate playing with settings - I try to keep things consistent where possible. Midrange with the PSU is nice and liquid more-so through the Redgum (no surprises there) and the treble whilst airy and detailed never gets harsh - even with some not so well transferred to CD 80's recordings. I have been re-listening to a lot of my old music and am amazed at the insight the setup is giving me - you can hear the person in a space delivering the lyrics - not just the sounds but the ambience of the booth or recording venue.

With the speakers through my Redgum amplfiier, I am getting what I consider to be musical and dynamic reproduction. The Mini sounds so controlled with the PSU - there is never any hint of stress which leaves the DAC and amplifier to work at their best. . The dedicated PSU has replaced the brightness with a more relaxed presentation. With this setup I could listen for hours without fatigue. I just wish I was able to listen for hours!

If you already have a Mini then the PSU is a solid value proposition. Really, the quality of parts in these units surpasses their modest asking price. 

Mark

Thanks Mark for your kind comments.

Matthew there are about twelve of my low noise PSU's out in the field now so maybe check out the Gieseler PSU owner thread.

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/95226-gieseler-power-supply-owners-thread/

So far they have all been standard single output or the new triple output units. The circuitry is very similar in all models so the sonic signature should be the same.

Bill125812 & roc1444 have the triple's so they maybe they would be able to add some input.

Regards Clay

• 2 weeks later...

Clay

Now that your getting close to the finished product do you have any specs for the DAC/Pre, e.g. Inputs, Outputs, etc., etc.

Pretty please :thumb:

(weakest link in my system at the moment is my Quad 99 pre and getting very itchy for a new pre)

Hi John,

Rough specs are

DAC Preamplifer combination in a full width case. Three digital & three analogue inputs, dual RCA unbalanced outputs. Display screen showing input, filter setting & probably sample rate. Remote control for input, filter selection & volume level. I will probably offer a balanced output version a little latter as well. Auto PCM & DSD decoding. I will need to wait until the first boards arrive to determine the maximum DSD rate - at least quad though.(256) HT bypass.

Any other suggestions?

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 4

My amp takes balanced with my Sub 1 also able to take single balanced output, so of course that's my set-up preference, but understand balanced output may come later.

What are the 3 digital inputs?

Hi John,

Rough specs are

DAC Preamplifer combination in a full width case. There digital & three analogue inputs, dual RCA unbalanced outputs. Display screen showing input, filter setting & probably sample rate. Remote control for input, filter selection & volume level. I will probably offer a balanced output version a little latter as well. Auto PCM & DSD decoding. I will need to wait until the first boards arrive to determine the maximum DSD rate - at least quad though.(256) HT bypass.

Any other suggestions?

Black :)