Official Gieseler Preamplifier & Power Supply Release

Gieseler Audio

Hi Mark,

My DAC at home is actually a SE version but I used up some Limited Edition panels I had left over. The Limited Edition was going to be a dealer only version that never eventuated.

I have the LED brightness spot on now (17th nov) so it should not need any more adjustment.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well well well... a nice package greeted me upon my arrival home from work this afternoon! :)

First impressions - very well made (as per the Klein DAC) and sensibly designed. Quality Neutrik connectors, robust switchgear, and the same heavy high-quality EI core AC to AC external power supply (a very smart idea IMHO!).

I also ordered a set of spare black faceplates for both the Klein DAC and PSU, should I decide to go 'all black' in future to match my Sansui gear. For the time being, I'm very much in love with the silver which provides a nice contrast to the blackness elsewhere in my rig.

This unit is configured for 5VDC and powers my Squeezebox Touch. The old switchmode PSU is banished, and my system is finally switchmode-free!! Huzzah!!

First listening impressions are that there is a slightly lower noise floor (dare I say it... blacker blacks? ha!) with greater clarity. It's not an earth-shattering, night-and-day, but enough that I'd be comfortable picking it in a blind test (if I was that way inclined!). I'm very, very satisfied with the improvement in refinement. I think it's a very worthwhile improvement for the Squeezebox Touch at this price point, and I'd wager that the benefit for other types of digital and analogue gear (and mini computers etc) would be similar. Best of all... it's Australian-made and designed :)

Well played Clay! I'm one very happy customer.

Gieseler%20PSU%201_zps0af6ylnv.jpg

Gieseler%20PSU%202_zpspxudpzft.jpg

Gieseler%20PSU%203_zpsjxyuyyqg.jpg

Gieseler%20PSU%204_zpsdlow4uee.jpg

Gieseler%20PSU%205_zps8fdfxlea.jpg

Edited by pete_mac
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I should be able to do a twenty four volt version. How much current do you need?

Also what do you want to power with it & I can look up what size DC plug is required.

specs say 24V ~ 300MA AC

It's to replace the wall wart on my Rega TTPSU. Keen to understand what this would cost.

specs say 24V ~ 300MA AC

It's to replace the wall wart on my Rega TTPSU. Keen to understand what this would cost.

If the Rega requires an AC supply, Clay's excellent PSUs are of no use as they are DC power supplies.

don't they convert AC to DC though? like this PSU? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121804287868?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It says it's both AC and DC   (AC in, DC out)...

The linear DC power supplies such as Clay's and the inferior (IMHO) Ebay unit take 240V AC from the wall socket and output DC in whatever voltage they are designed/configured to produce.

Your TT PSU takes 240V AC from the wall socket and outputs 24V AC to the turntable.

You can't use a DC power supply to power your turntable - it requires AC.

The linear DC power supplies such as Clay's and the inferior (IMHO) Ebay unit take 240V AC from the wall socket and output DC in whatever voltage they are designed/configured to produce.

Your TT PSU takes 240V AC from the wall socket and outputs 24V AC to the turntable.

You can't use a DC power supply to power your turntable - it requires AC.

Thanks for explaining Pete. Yes for only $80 including delivery i daresay it should be inferior! 

Does anyone make AC to AC linear psu's or is that a pipe dream?

EDIT - cancel that, found!  thanks 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Upgrade-Audiophile-Linear-Power-Supply-Rega-P3-24-Turntable-24VAC-Motor-/281443660311?hash=item4187597217#shpCntId

Edited by Juicester

Thanks for explaining Pete. Yes for only $80 including delivery i daresay it should be inferior! 

Does anyone make AC to AC linear psu's or is that a pipe dream?

EDIT - cancel that, found!  thanks 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Upgrade-Audiophile-Linear-Power-Supply-Rega-P3-24-Turntable-24VAC-Motor-/281443660311?hash=item4187597217#shpCntId

Yep - its called a transformer. You only run into issues if you need some sort of voltage regulation as a bare primary/secondary transformers output will be affected by both load and input voltage.

• Like 2

Finally I have "The Triple" supply up & running. I'm sure Bill wont mind me posting a few photos of it. It is powered by a beefy 12v 8.75 Amp external transformer. There are two outputs at 1.5 Amps & one at 2.6 Amps. 

The voltages are internally pre settable as follows

1  X  5v, 7.5v & 9v at 1.5 Amps 

1  X  9v, 12v & 15v at 1.5 Amps

1  X  9v, 12v & 15v at 2.6 Amps

Cost is $450 Aus which includes delivery. It will come with three DC cables terminated as per customer requirements. I will get the web site updated over the weekend with more details.

post-112957-0-03504700-1449806666_thumb.

post-112957-0-00834200-1449806696_thumb.

post-112957-0-79949500-1449807409_thumb.

• Like 7

Guest scumbag

@@rotur

I ordered a PSU off Clay specifically for the Auralic Mini. I am really enjoying the combination with one of his Klein DACS mainly but I am also using the Mini with a Micromega Mydac though obviously with not so amazing effect. It is 16V 1.5amps from memory though Clay can confirm this. The unit is in excess of the maximum current requirements of the Mini ( we got independent confirmation on this) and offers substantial improvements in the sound. I have been promising to write a review for a while now but I have been starting up my own project, plus keeping a full time job.  Hopefully I can get something out this week now that things have settled down a bit.

Mark

My Christmas pressie to myself arrived today after some great communication and service from Clay. I took a lot longer unpacking than I thought I would, but all that protection was probably necessary given the thump of it landing on my doorstep. I attached the Jetway mobo, SoTM PCI usb card and the SSD, plugged it in and turned it on and...joy. 

A step-up in sound and, of course, the morning was gone in a blur of favourite tracks. Immediately noticeable was the tighter bass and clearer highs.

I have only positive things to say about Clay's work and service, and ended up with everything I wanted.

• Like 4

Hi Clay,

I have my server in a Streacom FC5 case.

I currently use an HD Plex 12V/12V/9V/5V PS to supply mobo, SoTM USB, Regen and SSD.

I have wanted to put the power supply inside the case as there is obviously plenty of room.

Can I buy your triple power supply minus the case and install it inside my server case? Would there be problems?

I have a small Teradak adjustable PSU that I can use for the Regen.

I have 2 almost identical sever builds so hopefully could sell the second one with the HDPlex PSU

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Clay,

I have my server in a Streacom FC5 case.

I currently use an HD Plex 12V/12V/9V/5V PS to supply mobo, SoTM USB, Regen and SSD.

I have wanted to put the power supply inside the case as there is obviously plenty of room.

Can I buy your triple power supply minus the case and install it inside my server case? Would there be problems?

I have a small Teradak adjustable PSU that I can use for the Regen.

I have 2 almost identical sever builds so hopefully could sell the second one with the HDPlex PSU

Cheers

Andrew

Very interested to read the response to this as I am in a similar situation...& this is something I would also like to try...though my unit is designed & setup to suit Phasure DAC...

Hi Andrew,

Yes I could certainly supply it without the case. The pcb size is 160mm x 160mm - do you think that would fit ok?

The only tricky part is there are four regulators & three diodes that all have to bolt to the case for heat sinking purposes. I will post some photos of the bare pcb next week when I'm back at work if you like. Three of the regulators need to be mounted with insulating washers & bushes too. With the current design all these devices are actually under the pcb & the mounting screw goes through a 4mm hole in the pcb so assembly is quite tricky.

However as there is quite a lot of interest is a case-less version I could redesign the pcb into a more diy friendly version with all the regulators/diodes set off to the side of the board. This would make mounting much easier. Also I could remove the switch & replace all the in/output sockets with pcb screw terminal blocks. No case, sockets & switch will certainly reduce the price too. The board could be changed into a narrower retangle shape which may be easier to fit into the average server case. What do you think? - any other suggestions welcome.

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 2