Official Gieseler Preamplifier & Power Supply Release

Gieseler Audio

OK guys I have what I think will be a killer third option in the power supply range. The response to PSU's has been tremendous with the Standard steadily selling & pre orders coming in on the Dual version. On the Dual version I had a third unregulated output for DC-ATX nano type supplies. There has not been a lot of interest in that but lot of requests to run three devices from the one PSU so hear goes!

What say I replace the unregulated output with a fully regulated output with different voltage options so the unit becomes a true triple output device. I have six amps DC to play with so this is what I think would be a good combination. One 3A 12v to 16v for M/B or pc/server. One regulated 1.5A  9v to 16v & one 1.5A 5v to 9v  The 5v option is a little special as I have to drop the raw 17v down to 5v without producing to much heat. It would probably push the total cost up by $50 which is way less that having to buy a third low noise supply. Any input most appreciated especially in regards to the output voltage options. Well what do you think? May even be a first as I dont think there are many quality triples out there.

• Like 1

I'm sure scumbag won't mind a few photos of his new psu before I ship it off.

Passed the soak test with flying colours, 16 volts at 1.5 Amps for thirty minutes. Regulator case temperatures & diodes stable at 45 C. Scope shot is the raw  DC output after the big common mode filter choke. Notice nice smooth sinusoidal ripple shape, easy for the regulators to remove. I'm using 16.8K of panasonic 105 degree FC caps which give a very neutral sound. Mark will be powering his new Auralic Aries Mini with it. Well better get it packed up & posted so he has it for the weekend.

post-112957-0-44194600-1447296690_thumb.

post-112957-0-89515500-1447296932_thumb.

post-112957-0-26200100-1447296945_thumb.

• Like 2

Just trying to work out if I could run my media pc on this...

It's a low-power i5 using a streacom nano 150w atx psu, which is fed by a 12v / 12.5a ac adaptor block. With a cheapie power monitor at the wall, I show the supply drawing under .4a under load @249v. Max power is shown as 47.2w.

So I don't think 3a @12v will work?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Guest scumbag

I'm sure scumbag won't mind a few photos of his new psu before I ship it off.

Passed the soak test with flying colours, 16 volts at 1.5 Amps for thirty minutes. Regulator case temperatures & diodes stable at 45 C. Scope shot is the raw  DC output after the big common mode filter choke. Notice nice smooth sinusoidal ripple shape, easy for the regulators to remove. I'm using 16.8K of panasonic 105 degree FC caps which give a very neutral sound. Mark will be powering his new Auralic Aries Mini with it. Well better get it packed up & posted so he has it for the weekend.

attachicon.gifGieseler LNpsu.jpg

attachicon.gifPSU rear socket.jpg

attachicon.gifripple output ln psu.jpg

That's my baby! Just running it in ATM. Will be in a better position to do a comparison after the PSU and the Auralic Mini burn-in. I was reading some comments on computeraudiophile from other Mini owners that reflects my own experience. The Mini sounded quite flat when i first fired it up but it's starting to feel a low freer after just 2 days and that's with the standard LPS. I am struggling to concentrate at work though and I totally blame Clay. Once I have the Klein PSU set up I'll report my finding.

Regards

Mark

Correct Mark. I added that feature to give them a bit of flexibility so that if down the track you need a different voltage to power something else it is only a jumper away.

jaywhar; I could probably build you a special version with a single 12 volt 5 Amp output. That equates to 60 Watts so going by your power meter reading should do the job OK. It would look similar to my new dual output version that is coming but with only one one output operational. Cost around $350 to $400.

Update.

I have had lot of interest in a triple output version & especially with a 5 volt output option so I have gone ahead & designed one.

Outputs are;

1 x 12 volts at 3 Amps - this would be primarily for a server/pc/motherboard. It will also do 15 volts at 2A & 16 volts at 1A.

1 x 9v, 12v or 15v at 1.5 Amps - suit SOtM card, USB Regen etc. The voltage is internally pre-set with a jumper.

1 x 5v, 7.5v or 9v at 1.5 Amps - Squeezebox, USB Regen & small Rasberrypie type micro boards. Again voltage pre-set with jumper.

Cost - not quite finalised but definitely under $450 delivered. I actually ordered the boards yesterday so by the end of next week I should have a finished product. I'm quite excited about this as it represents great value at say $150 per -psu section. It will be in a Klein size case (160 x 165 x 55) with a heavy duty 8.5 Amp external transformer. Neutrik 16 A XLR's for all outputs & power input.

• Like 2

Perhaps to help sales we could brainstorm combinations that people might consider.

Also, for the 5V source consider USB cables to supply the power leg. This would be a USB B adaptor - I've got something like this for a TeraDak to supply USB power cleanly to powered DACs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Perhaps to help sales we could brainstorm combinations that people might consider.

Also, for the 5V source consider USB cables to supply the power leg. This would be a USB B adaptor - I've got something like this for a TeraDak to supply USB power cleanly to powered DACs

Indeed, the TeraDak-style cable is very useful for injecting a clean +5V supply whilst allowing USB data to flow unimpeded:

TeraDak-TeraLink-X1-X2-DC8-5V-1A-USB-DC5

The TeraDak PSU has a USB A socket on the rear panel, but a cable like the above cable could be manufactured with the same three-pin XLR-style connector as the standard PSU.

teradak2_zpsbd296404.jpg

Neutrik make nice sockets, but they aren't exactly cheap:

328.jpg

I'm probably over-complicating things here though - it wouldn't be the first time! ;)

• Like 2

John; brainstorming voltage combinations sounds like a great idea. I'm certainly open to suggestions.

Pete; USB power injection - always a good idea. It is no problem for me to do a USB -passthrough style with two -pcb mount USB sockets. One would have the clean injected 5 volts from the supply. I could incorporate a common mode filter choke which would remove a bit of jitter from the data lines on the way through. Only snag is the triple psu rear panel is pretty tight with four big XLR sockets but I will take another look. Good concept for sure.

John; brainstorming voltage combinations sounds like a great idea. I'm certainly open to suggestions.

Pete; USB power injection - always a good idea. It is no problem for me to do a USB -passthrough style with two -pcb mount USB sockets. One would have the clean injected 5 volts from the supply. I could incorporate a common mode filter choke which would remove a bit of jitter from the data lines on the way through. Only snag is the triple psu rear panel is pretty tight with four big XLR sockets but I will take another look. Good concept for sure.

Clay

I think you have the right approach. I like the fact that you are flexible and are able to adapt. If you could fulfill the wishes of SNA members I would suggest that your products will also be a succes in the international stage. 

Please keep the products and iterations coming.

• Like 2

Hi Steve,

Actually it does have a choke. There is a bonus too as it is a common mode type which is two windings in an anti phase configuration so if there is common mode noise coming in via the mains it gets neutralised. I read Chanh's PSU thread with great interest especially the choke part. I achieved a similar result to him in that the usual sawtooth ripple at the rectifier output is converted to a nice sinusoidal shape which is much easier for the regulators to remove compared to a sawtooth. When I get time I will upload some pre & post choke scope screen shots.

Edited by Gieseler Audio

Guest scumbag

Clay, maybe in the future some jumpers with variable resistance to the LED? Or a variable pot (assuming you think a pot would be suitable for this application) .Then you can suit the variety of tastes and requirements re led brightness......

Edited by scumbag