Official Gieseler Preamplifier & Power Supply Release

Gieseler Audio

Gieseler Preamplifier

Description

This preamp model values high performance and cost efficiency over gimmicks and excessive features. The design centres around the Muses 72320 electronic level control chip. In keeping with the basic design the volume is controlled via the front panel or remote control (also capable of  input selection &  muting). The signal path is very short, RCA input/relay/Muses/output buffer & all this is located at the rear of the preamp. The motorised potentiometer sends a control signal to the microprocessor which then controls the signal level through the Muses chip. I took this path as it an simple control method (for the user), & the volume level stays where you leave it. The signal after leaving the Muses chip goes into a composite class A diamond buffer output stage which has a very low output impedance & great current drive and shows minimum effect from cables. All the audio sections are powered by low noise discrete shunt regulators and the power supply uses Schottky diodes.  This is then CRC filtered using large Silmic II capacitors. All components are of high quality & picked for their sonic characteristics. There is delay turning on (muting the circuit so no clicks or pops). I have pre set the gain at 10 dB but I can change this a little to suit a particular situation.

Unfortunately build time was longer than estimated & the revised board is using some more costly parts so the price has increased a bit. As usual it comes with a full two year parts & labour return to base warranty. Lead time is normally under seven days.

At the cost of $900 including delivery, I’m sure you will love it.

Specifications

Gain 10 dB (3.2)                                                                                                                                                 

Input impedance 25K                                                                                                                                        

Output Impedance  10 Ohms                                                                                                                   

Number of inputs    -  3                                                                                                                                  

Number of outputs -  1                                                                                                                            

Frequency response   2hz – 150khz                                                                                                                            

Remote control  for volume, inputs & muting.

Gieseler Linear Low Noise Power Supplies

Description

Single output Unit

These are linear low noise DC power supplies designed to improve the performance of digital audio accessory devices that are normally powered by small SMPS plug-packs.  They also work well with NUC mini PC’s. Even the standard version will run an older model Celeron NUC. All the internal components are of high quality & are selected for reliability & sound quality where applicable. Capacitors are Nichicon “for Audio†types & Elna Silmic II’s.

They are powered by external IE core transformers. These have a distinct advantage over the usual Toroidal type as they have better isolation between the windings & are much lower bandwidth. Lower bandwidth means less HF noise coming in via the mains. Also being external there is less radiated hum entering the power supply circuitry.  Pedja Rogic (2013) does a nice explanation of Toroidal vs IE core transformer for audio use.                                                http://www.audialonline.com/online-topics/psu-transformers-ei-vs-toroidal-and-more/       

Noise, hum & ripple levels are very low due to the tracking pre-regulator design using new low noise high performance regulators. Also what helps to reduce noise as well is the use of Schottky diodes & CLC filtering. The filter choke is a common mode type which helps remove any CM noise coming from the mains; also they have short circuit & thermal protection.

The DC output cable/connection is an area that is often neglected; so I have gone to extra lengths here to get it right. The DC output on the supply uses a Neutrik 16 Amp XLR gold pin socket. The supplied DC cable uses a matching Neutrik gold pin plug hand soldered to a 10A lead with moulded DC barrel connector for ruggedness.

When you order a supply I need to know what it is being connected to so I can supply the correct DC lead to fit your unit. The main difference between the standard & higher voltage version is  just the external power transformer that is supplied with it. This is a bonus as it means if you started out with a 5v unit & down the track, if you require a 16v version, it is just a $50 transformer upgrade away.

This single output unit can be purchased with either the 10 v transformer for a 5v-9v output range or a 16v transformer or the 9-16v output range. The 5v to 9v version costs $275 delivered & the 9v-16v version is $325 delivered.

Dual output Unit

A dual output version of similar specifications to the above unit but with  twin 3 Amp outputs with independent voltage options of 9v, 12v, 15v & 16V plus a separate unregulated 6 amp 20v raw output as well (great for a DIY music server using a HDPLEX DC-ATX supply). This dual version will likely be available in about three weeks, at under $400.

All units will come with a full two year parts & labour “return to base†warranty.

Specifications

Standard noise power supply

A single output rated at 1.5 Amps.  

Available in the following voltages. 5v, 7.5v (Regen) &  9v . Note these voltages are preset by an internal jumper.  It also has a 12v option but the current is limited to about 550 ma.                        

The unit is powered by an external  10v AC 2.4 A transformer.                                                                     

It has short circuit & thermal protection.                                                                                                                                                          

Noise level is approximately 20 uV to 40 uV  depending on voltage setting.                                         

Ripple & hum rejection is approximately 100 dB.

Price $275 including delivery.

Standard low noise supply with higher voltage option.

Same as above but with 9v, 12v, 15v & 16v outputs all at 1.5 Amps.                                                                             

The unit is powered by an external  16V AC 2.5A  transformer

Price $325 including delivery                

I will post images below.                                                                                                     

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 8

These are a few pictures I took yesterday and a bonus picture of the power supply in black.

post-112957-0-92706900-1446879739_thumb.

post-112957-0-09704600-1446879761_thumb.

post-112957-0-38054600-1446879796_thumb.

post-112957-0-77944300-1446879810_thumb.

Here are also a few of the Preamp PCB.

post-112957-0-49339600-1446879942_thumb.

post-112957-0-31021100-1446879954_thumb.

post-112957-0-61660300-1446879964_thumb.

By the way, the website has been updated, and also has a few more pictures, so head on over to Gieseler Audio.

Cheers,

Clay

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 8

Hi Bill,

the Luxman 507U (very nice) is an integrated amp so no, you definitely don't need a preamp between the DAC & that.

Thanks clay. It can be used as a power amp.

But Tend to agree with you. It is a very nice amp.

Might just stay with the Klein Se as is. Still very happy indeed.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the great feedback. I'm sure you will be happy with the new psu's. I've worked hard to get that price down. At work I'm powering my Celeron Nuc with the standard ($275) version but internally pre set to 12 v. At that voltage with the 10 v transformer there is only about 500 ma of current available but it powers the Nuc perfectly. Compared to the standard SMPS plug pack there seems to be a layer of grayness removed the bass seems to improved quite quite a bit. It is amazing all this change is just from using a better psu. I will post some better photos next week & also some good scope shots showing how the noise level drops at different points in the supply.

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 1

Oooh, interesting! Just a question about the PSUs. What kind of DACs or amps do they work with? Are they meant to work with any that have a 'wallwart' kind of power pack? Would it work with the Klein DAC?

And another question...why does the pre-amp have three inputs and one output? 

Edited by Suopermanni

Yes they should be compatible with most units that are supplied by wall-wart supplies but I would need to check voltage/current outputs to be certain. No it won't work with the Klein DAC as it needs an AC supply.

RE pre input/outputs. It just means in a typical setup the preamp would be connected to a power amp & then the three inputs could be connected to various souces. e.g. CDP, DAC & TV.

Edited by Gieseler Audio

Oooh, right. Got you on both questions.

Another easy question I have about the linear PSU is whether they would work with DACs or amps that use standard IEC power connector thingies like the Daccord and Corda Classic?

I'm guessing it would either be unnecessary or impossible to do.

Sorry for the silly and basic questions but I have no idea about this stuff. 

Would it be possible to get a pic of the back panel and the cable you connect the equipment to the PSU to? 

EDIT:

Apparently, I can't read! LOL. I just saw the Linear PSU use DC connectors and such while most of my equipment use AC? Does anyone know of examples of any DACs or amps that use DC? I'm mostly a headphone user but I'm beginning to dip my toes in speakers.

Edited by Suopermanni

Hi,

Sounds like you have answered your own questions. Correct units with IEC power input connectors are designed to work only with mains power input. Probably the only upgrade for those devices would be a "power regenerator" PS Audio make one. I will post some photos next week of the DC lead & rear connections.

Ciao Clay

Hi Clay

Really interested - but waiting for the version with the DAC built in.

Had a chat to Mike.  Those new speakers he is building me, the Magnesium Limited, are, gulp, 83 db sensitive.  The early prototype sounds really - crystal clear - different to any other of Mike's speakers.  But that sensitivity - my valve Prima is out.  Went the whole hog and got the new BHK amp - but now I need a pre amp - preferably with a sub out - but in my case it would be very simple - just two outputs paralleled.  Decided to trade in my Playback Designs on a Direct Stream as well since the DS is on special right now so it looked a good time to change over.

Thanks

Bill

• Like 1

Hi Clay

Really interested - but waiting for the version with the DAC built in.

Had a chat to Mike.  Those new speakers he is building me, the Magnesium Limited, are, gulp, 83 db sensitive.  The early prototype sounds really - crystal clear - different to any other of Mike's speakers.  But that sensitivity - my valve Prima is out.  Went the whole hog and got the new BHK amp - but now I need a pre amp - preferably with a sub out - but in my case it would be very simple - just two outputs paralleled.  Decided to trade in my Playback Designs on a Direct Stream as well since the DS is on special right now so it looked a good time to change over.

Thanks

Bill

Good lord Bill

BHK, Directstream and the new Lenehsn Speakers

Sounds like close to end end game system to me

Would love to head it one day

Cheers

Bill

• Like 1

Hi Bill,

Wow did you just win lotto? That is some some serious upgrading, good choices though. I will have a more featured version of the new preamp shortly. Probably with, dual outputs, HT bypass, balanced out & display. The display will eliminate the knob & input indicators. I thought a basic version first would be good as it is more affordable & would suit a simple setup. At home I have the preamp & DAC side by side so it is really screaming for a combo version soon.

Regards Clay

• Like 1

Sounds like close to end end game system to me

Yes its Rockefeller Bill here, he says while lighting his Havana with a hundred dollar bill and sipping his Grange.  Slumming it though - only the 72 - not the much better 71  :P  :P  :P

You hit it on the head - this is the end game system for me.  Have tons of stuff to sell - my Playback Designs, QOL Completion Stage, Naquadria amp and upgraded PDX.  

For all those that want to hear the BHK Mike has mine sitting in his factory right now - check it out - I will be going down there today for just that.

Mike was thinking of a GTG where we can hear it with the Klein and, if Clay has one available, his new pre.

More details on Mike's forum.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba
  • Like 1

Yes its Rockefeller Bill here, he says while lighting his Havana with a hundred dollar bill and sipping his Grange.  Slumming it though - only the 72 - not the much better 71  :P  :P  :P

You hit it on the head - this is the end game system for me.  Have tons of stuff to sell - my Playback Designs, QOL Completion Stage, Naquadria amp and upgraded PDX.  

For all those that want to hear the BHK Mike has mine sitting in his factory right now - check it out - I will be going down there today for just that.

Mike was thinking of a GTG where we can hear it with the Klein and, if Clay has one available, his new pre.

Thanks

Bill

Naquadria you say...

Quick update.
The dual output version circuit boards have been ordered so I'm expecting delivery late next week.
Final specs are;
Dual 3 Amp regulated outputs with a pre settable voltage of 9v, 12v, & 15v. Also custom output in the 9v to 15v range on request. They are independent so you could have say a 9v & a 12v.
Plus one unregulated raw DC output of approximately 17v - 18v. This would suit a HDPlex DC-ATX supply for a M/B.
It will be powered by a beefy 12v 8.5 Amp external transformer. The enclosure is the same as the Klein DAC - 165 mm x 160 mm x 55 mm. It would be possible to use all three outputs at once as long as the total DC current draw does not exceed six amps.
Price - still working on that but hoping it will be around the $400 mark.

Edited by Gieseler Audio

Yes its Rockefeller Bill here, he says while lighting his Havana with a hundred dollar bill and sipping his Grange. Slumming it though - only the 72 - not the much better 71 :P:P:P

You hit it on the head - this is the end game system for me. Have tons of stuff to sell - my Playback Designs, QOL Completion Stage, Naquadria amp and upgraded PDX.

Thanks

Bill

Upgraded PDX you say...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upgraded PDX you say...

Sure - its at Konverter level.

Its sitting down Mikes right now and will be up for sale soon.  I got a new Phillips SQ output valve for it.  Just need to check its been put in.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

Sure - its at Konverter level.

Its sitting down Mikes right now and will be up for sale soon.  I got a new Phillips SQ output valve for it.  Just need to check its been put in.

Thanks

Bill

@@bhobba

Have you compared your PDX to a Klein DAC.

Have you compared your PDX to a Klein DAC.

Yes - but an earlier version of the Klein. Me and Doggiehowser couldn't tell the difference.  What the fook - a statement valve DAC choka full of stuff like Duelund VSF Copper capacitors the same as a $750 DAC.  Yes - there you have it.  That's why I got Clay to upgrade the PDX to Konverter level.  But the Klein has now moved on.  As of now I give my upgraded PDX the edge - but not everyone agrees.  I seem to recall Clay thinks the Klein may be better.  Since he makes both that surprised him and I seem to recall Clay wants to give the Konverter a makeover.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba