Currently Purchasing

Two excellent covers albums. Imagined Soundtrack based on songs used in the excellent Amazon Prime series, "Man In The High Castle". Early 60s songs re-recorded by contemporary singers, fairly faithful to the originals and overall an excellent covers album and available on double LP too:)

1200x630bb.jpg

And also a covers album, Jane Birkin covers Serge's songs with full orchestral arrangements. She's not the strongest singer but overall a great contemporary Gainsbourg album that isn't only for the completist like me. Also a double LP

81TR8MXcfZL._SY355_.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/24/2017 at 4:33 PM, t_mike said:

$100 lucky dip box from the markets. Has to be something I like in there.

1498278734950445209628.jpg

Go on, dying to know what gems there are @t_mike

Edited by Citroen

Just spinning the new Kratwerk Catalog-3D 8x LP box set on vinyl. Impeccable recordings, dead silent vinyl and great sound quality, all previous albums have been re-recorded so all discs are new versions of the old albums. Not compelling unless you are a Kratwerk tragic like me but all tracks have a more contemporary feel. If you were lucky enough to see Kratwerk live at Vivid a few years ago then this is what you'll hear. The BluRay and DVD versions also have the 3D visuals from the concerts. I might have to get the BluRay as well:emot-bang:

Eye bleedingly expensive

On 2017-7-1 at 10:31 AM, proftournesol said:

Just spinning the new Kratwerk Catalog-3D 8x LP box set on vinyl. Impeccable recordings, dead silent vinyl and great sound quality, all previous albums have been re-recorded so all discs are new versions of the old albums. Not compelling unless you are a Kratwerk tragic like me but all tracks have a more contemporary feel. If you were lucky enough to see Kratwerk live at Vivid a few years ago then this is what you'll hear. The BluRay and DVD versions also have the 3D visuals from the concerts. I might have to get the BluRay as well:emot-bang:

Eye bleedingly expensive

How do these re-recordings compare to the originals?

6 hours ago, metal beat said:

How do these re-recordings compare to the originals?

Completely different versions recorded 'live' on their world tour when they performed complete albums in concert but sound like studio albums, ie no crowd noises. All albums are modern interpretations but basically faithful to the originals. Sound quality is fantastic, vinyl is dead flat and dead quiet

1 hour ago, proftournesol said:

Completely different versions recorded 'live' on their world tour when they performed complete albums in concert but sound like studio albums, ie no crowd noises. All albums are modern interpretations but basically faithful to the originals. Sound quality is fantastic, vinyl is dead flat and dead quiet

Ah, they are live albums.    Pass

Thanks

"Vinyl Digital SUMMER STOCK SALE

More than 6000 records and tapes are drastically reduced by up to 50% and are ready to be shipped immediately.

First come, first serve, limited quantities! Full Sale selection here: https://goo.gl/bYY1gB"

I took so long going through the 6000 titles, putting 17 titles in my cart that by the time I checked out 12 of them had gone back to normal price :(

• Like 1

Vinyl ordered on Monday night arrived this morning from USA!

Acoustic hits - The Cure

Live Music  Europe 2010- Joe Jackson Trio

Watashi Dake? - Keiji Haino

Ballet (the Music Of Michael Gibbs) - Cuong Vu 4-Tet

595db9a831a74_NewLPs.thumb.jpg.853a03d21913aa5266dc75ad2a6606f3.jpg

Povarovo - Tchernovik

a0252115507_16.jpg

Influenced by acts like Bohren & der Club Of Gore and The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble the anonymous russian group Povarovo mixed ideas of existing darker jazz acts with neoclassical elements and the melancholia of traditional russian music to a new level of intensity.

• Like 5

Murder of the Universe is another album of more Gizzardy goodness, another Vomit Coffin Edition. This is the second release for the year, they are ambitiously planning 5 new releases this year so must be working up to a creative frenzy if this is any guide. King Gizzard's albums just keep getting better and better. This one is a psychaedelic prog album

file

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, proftournesol said:

Murder of the Universe is another album of more Gizzardy goodness, another Vomit Coffin Edition. This is the second release for the year, they ar ambitious planning 5 new releases this year so must be working up to a creative frenzy if this is any guide. King Gizzard's albums just keep getting better and better.

file

What albums would you recommend first up @proftournesol

Tidal only have 12 Bar Bruise, but I have just come across their bandcamp page, so might do some sampling.

Edited by soundfan

4 minutes ago, soundfan said:

Tidal only have 12 Bar Bruise, but I have just come across their bandcamp page, so might do some sampling.

Nonagon Infinity

Flying Microtonal Banana

I'm In Your Mind Fuzz

• Like 2

1 hour ago, soundfan said:

Chris, definitely start with Nonagon Infinity.  My eldest son is a big fan, but I struggle to get into their other albums (I do enjoy Nonagon Infinity).  As a guitarist, he really appreciates the difficulty of playing a guitar with microtonal tuning.  As a non-guitarist, I got bored with Flying Microtonal Banana.  They're a really good band to see live - lots of fun, but I reckon they're the masters of hype and marketing with all the press around how many albums they'll put out this year (and every year).  I'm sure I'll get shot down here, as I do with my son, but I just don't get the hype with these guys.

Anyhoo, I popped into Redeye this morning and picked up a couple of records.  The first one is definitely not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but I'm really enjoying it.  The Living Man by Party Dozen.  

Image result for party dozen the living man 700 x 700

I posted this on Currently Spinning last night.  I heard this on FBI radio last week - the afternoon presenter Darren Lesaguis said this was easily his album of the year so far.  I wouldn't quite go that far (see below), but it's a mightily impressive record.  Described on the FBI website as  "Full of jazzy rhythms, skronky saxophones and pummelling, industrial drone passages, ‘The Living Man’ is a playfully savage sonic onslaught that throws the genre rule-book out the window and goes straight for the jugular."   

That sums it up pretty nicely really.   The pressing is pretty good by and large.  It's not the quietest pressing I have, but it doesn't need to be.  There's the odd pop and click between tracks (not many) but there are simply no quiet passages in this 30 odd minute sonic assault.  You just don't hear a single issue once the music kicks in.  I listened to this on Tidal and compared to the vinyl - the vinyl wins hands down even on my modest analogue rig.@Dave O))) I'm tipping this is right up your alley.  Lots of improvised sax and drums playing over industrial electronica.  

I also purchased the last copy that Redeye had of The War On Drugs 2017 RSD 12" release - Thinking Of A Place.  This is hands down my release of the year - I know it's not an album, but based on this I can't wait for their new album to drop in a month or so.  I've listened to this about a dozen times on Tidal before buying the 12".  On Tidal this sounds awesome.  On vinyl, it's jaw dropping.  If you can get your hands on a copy, grab one now!  Stunning!

Image result for the war on drugs thinking of a place 1000 x 1000

Edited by ABG
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, ABG said:

Chris, definitely start with Nonagon Infinity.  My eldest son is a big fan, but I struggle to get into their other albums (I do enjoy Nonagon Infinity).  As a guitarist, he really appreciates the difficulty of playing a guitar with microtonal tuning.  As a non-guitarist, I got bored with Flying Microtonal Banana.  They're a really good band to see live - lots of fun, but I reckon they're the masters of hype and marketing with all the press around how many albums they'll put out this year (and every year).  I'm sure I'll get shot down here, as I do with my son, but I just don't get the hype with these guys.

Anyhoo, I popped into Redeye this morning and picked up a couple of records.  The first one is definitely not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but I'm really enjoying it.  The Living Man by Party Dozen.  

Image result for party dozen the living man 700 x 700

I posted this on Currently Spinning last night.  I heard this on FBI radio last week - the afternoon presenter Darren Lesaguis said this was easily his album of the year so far.  I wouldn't quite go that far (see below), but it's a mightily impressive record.  Described on the FBI website as  "Full of jazzy rhythms, skronky saxophones and pummelling, industrial drone passages, ‘The Living Man’ is a playfully savage sonic onslaught that throws the genre rule-book out the window and goes straight for the jugular."   

That sums it up pretty nicely really.   The pressing is pretty good by and large.  It's not the quietest pressing I have, but it doesn't need to be.  There's the odd pop and click between tracks (not many) but there are simply no quiet passages in this 30 odd minute sonic assault.  You just don't hear a single issue once the music kicks in.  I listened to this on Tidal and compared to the vinyl - the vinyl wins hands down even on my modest analogue rig.@Dave O))) I'm tipping this is right up your alley.  Lots of improvised sax and drums playing over industrial electronica.  

I also purchased the last copy that Redeye had of The War On Drugs 2017 RSD 12" release - Thinking Of A Place.  This is hands down my release of the year - I know it's not an album, but based on this I can't wait for their new album to drop in a month or so.  I've listened to this about a dozen times on Tidal before buying the 12".  On Tidal this sounds awesome.  On vinyl, it's jaw dropping.  If you can get your hands on a copy, grab one now!  Stunning!

Image result for the war on drugs thinking of a place 1000 x 1000

Thanks Andrew and to @proftournesol for the info on King Gizzard.

I purchased the one that prof pictured above, and a copy of Nonagon Infinity.

Will see how I go with the band, I did enjoy 12 Bar Bruise on Tidal.

As for Party Dozen, I will go see them up here on Aug 10 if I have no work commitments. Listened to and enjoyed The Living Man on Tidal this morning.

35 minutes ago, soundfan said:

As for Party Dozen, I will go see them up here on Aug 10 if I have no work commitments. Listened to and enjoyed The Living Man on Tidal this morning.

I kinda suspected they'd be up your alley Chris given the improvised jazz-ish vibe in parts, but with all the doom and electronic elements wasn't convinced.  Glad to hear you like it and I would love to hear your thoughts on a live performance if you manage to get there.  As usual, I'm late to the party and they've finished the Sydney leg of their tour (unless I go to Volumes festival, which given my last experience I'm none too keen to attend).

• Like 1

I kinda suspected they'd be up your alley Chris given the improvised jazz-ish vibe in parts, but with all the doom and electronic elements wasn't convinced.  Glad to hear you like it and I would love to hear your thoughts on a live performance if you manage to get there.  As usual, I'm late to the party and they've finished the Sydney leg of their tour (unless I go to Volumes festival, which given my last experience I'm none too keen to attend).

Pretty unique sound, I'll give them that. Not bad, not bad at all. Reckon they would be fun to see live.
  • Like 1