Hi all

I need to rip approx 900 CDs (all standard Redbook) on a Mac Mini Server running Yosemite OSX. I intend to rip to FLAC.

Interested to hear from Mac users about what ripping and tagging software they use. I was leaning towards dbpoweramp but the artwork, metadata and accuracy-check app - PerfectTunes - is Windows only. Is this a deal-breaker?

What are my other options? Opinions on XLD? 

Playback might deserve its own thread but if you want to share opinions there too I'm all ears. Keen to give iTunes a miss (because FLAC). Audirvana Plus? 

Sorry if these questions have been asked before - I did search the forum first, but please feel free to direct me to older topics.

Cheers,

Dylan/Art

Gotta agree with the post above. 

I know you can specify where you want to send the output files, but can anyone tell me how to set up XLD so it rips the CD (I'm doing WAV) and outputs it in its own folder rather than a generic folder? I have to manually create a folder for each album I rip in the output location. Time consuming when you have 1200 CDs to do!

Gotta agree with the post above. 

I know you can specify where you want to send the output files, but can anyone tell me how to set up XLD so it rips the CD (I'm doing WAV) and outputs it in its own folder rather than a generic folder? I have to manually create a folder for each album I rip in the output location. Time consuming when you have 1200 CDs to do!

I'm not sure what you mean. I've never had to do that.

It should send to the output directory and name the file from the metadata.

I'm not sure what you mean. I've never had to do that.

It should send to the output directory and name the file from the metadata.

I can choose the destination folder, but I want each album I rip to be in its own folder (a subfolder if you will) within this main folder. However it just tags the songs and dumps in whatever folder you choose. I want the structure a little like iTunes where each artist has his own sub-folder, and then another sub-folder for each album.

I read these sort of threads and realise how little I know about anything even though I use a computer for playing songs

I hope I can ask here

Why not use iTunes for burning CDs and playing them Art?

What does xld do that iTunes doesn't in terms of track information

Does it operate separately to iTunes?

Ie 1 or the other?

Does it add more information about tracks or albums?

Does xld just take over iTunes and display different screen styles of artwork?

Is tagging and metadata computer jargon for track and album information?

Thanks in advance for any explanations

I read these sort of threads and realise how little I know about anything even though I use a computer for playing songs

I hope I can ask here

Why not use iTunes for burning CDs and playing them Art?

What does xld do that iTunes doesn't in terms of track information

Does it operate separately to iTunes?

Ie 1 or the other?

Does it add more information about tracks or albums?

Does xld just take over iTunes and display different screen styles of artwork?

Is tagging and metadata computer jargon for track and album information?

Thanks in advance for any explanations

iTunes will burn CDs perfectly well. The advantage of XLD is that it uses Accurarerip to compare the ripped CD against a database of previously ripped CDs. If there is a ripping error XLD tells you. (Usually)

XLD also gives you more choices of pre gap, Replay Gain and output directory among other things.

You can use it to batch convert from one format to another and when ripping you can output as more than one file type at the same time.

It's a really powerful software compared with iTunes.

Having said all that in most cases iTunes will rip a CD perfectly well. Of course not to FLAC or WAV.

thanks

i think i understand about the different formats but was worried that there was a heap of track information i was missing out on

i am not a blind supporter of itunes but it is very easy to use if you don't know about computers

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I use XLD and I am happy with it. I use it to rip my CDs into FLAC format. For playback I use Audirvana Plus in 'Integrated' mode with iTunes as I find this the best of both worlds ( Sound Quality and Ease of use).

I also found when XLD rips a CD it creates a file for each music track in the output directory and does not create a sub directory with the name of the CD, which is pain. What I ended up doing was when the CD finished ripping it created a log file “Title of CD.logâ€. I copied the title of CD from the  log file nam. Then using Finder highlighted all the ripped files and created a new folder. Finder gave the option “New Folder with Selection (9 items)†it then created a new folder moving the 9 FLAC files into, I then pasted the name into the new folder. For a handful of CD it is ok, but if I had 900 you may want to see if you can write a script.

You can set XLD to automagically create folders for you based on any of the metadata parameters that have been inputted. In preferences go to 'file naming' and under 'format of filename' choose custom. If you hover over the box it will tell you what all the different commands mean. For example mine looks like this - %a/%T/%n - %t

So in the output folder 'music' wound create '/Artistname/Album Title/Tracknumber - Trackname'.

Is that what you meant?

• Like 3

XLD is great and free, but i'd also recommend DBpoweramp (previously Windows only). This option is not free but has much better metadata tagging than XLD. Hence the recommendation.

Both use accurate/securerip

Edited by Demondes
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

I use Phile Audio, seems to do a decent job and although I can't recall what it cost I don't remember it being terribly expensive... one of the things I found helpful was that it could rip from multiple drives simultaneously - I managed to borrow a couple of USB CD drives, those along with the internal SuperDrive meant I got through several hundred CDs reasonably quickly.

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk