Bluesound - Not Your Average Wireless Multizone Audio

Melbourne Audio Club monthly meeting - Bluesound - Not Your Average Wireless Multizone Audio

8pm Wednesday 21st October, visitors welcome.

Willis Room, City of Whitehorse Offices
Maroondah Highway (Whitehorse Road), Nunawading
Melway Map 48 Ref G9

The designers at NAD and PSB have come up with a brilliant solution to the problem of high-res, whole-house audio that combines superb sound reproduction with twenty-first century connectivity. With six models in the Bluesound Gen 2 line up, the brands products are a significant step-up from Sonos and Bose, with all models capable of 24-bit/192 kHz music decoding and playback.

This month's meeting we will have Convoy, the distributors for Bluesound, demonstrating two of their products. The Power Node 2 ($1499) and Vault 2 ($1999) both units offer similar functionality. Streaming audio from computers and NAS drives, Internet Radio and cloud -streaming services such as Tidal. The Power Node 2 streamer/amplifier uses Direct Digital amplifier technology, developed by NAD, to deliver 60W per channel. Speakers can be connected directly to the unit to create a room 'zone', all controlled with your tablet or smartphone.

The star of the Bluesound line up is the Vault 2, a CD ripper with 2TB of storage built in, with the ability to rip CDs in bit-perfect lossless FLAC without the need for a computer. It can search music from NAS drives or USB connected hard drives, as well as play back music to an existing Hi-Fi system via its stereo outputs or a coaxial digital out. With the Bluesound app and a tablet, you have the capability to add to your high-res music collection by downloading directly from Highresaudio Online Stores onto the Vaults hard drive.

Convoy will put together a system comprising of B&W speakers, a pair of CM6 S2s and the matching 10 inch subwoofer. The Bluesound system will demonstrate how mature this form of audio has become - the wireless transmission of music was once viewed as a novelty - it is now possible to do music over Wi-Fi up to 24-bit/96kHz, better than CD. With the slogan 'Hi-Fi never went away, it just never went wireless' Bluesound will appeal to a new group of audiophiles, will that be you?

Nick Karayanis
Proxy proxy Program Co-ordinator / Vice President

Ken Tripp
Wise and Wonderful Webmaster
Melbourne Audio Club, Inc.

http://www.melbourneaudioclub.org.au

• 2 weeks later...

When I had an extended play with Bluesound in my own setup (both a vault and node) I couldnt fault the sound. Absolutely loved it. I was pretty much determined to add the node to my system. However what fundamentally shot the product down was bad software driving the system.

I had BOTH products hard wired to the network, yet almost every night one of the units would be missing from the network. There was no MAC or IP address issues. Usually if I started up the smartphone app, only one device would show, and the ONLY way the second unit would come alive on the network is turning on the computer and running the program on the Mac! And sometimes the reverse would hold true - starting the system via the computer only to have to log into the app to get the second Bluesound product working.

In the end I gave up - I would like to think I have plenty of It experience (you have to in this game!) but when a product you HARD-WIRE to your system takes hours to work reliably, you look elsewhere.

I had issues with my nodes wireless, it would drop out and it was a Bugga to get going again, but only after I bought an Apple Airport express, set it up to receive wifi only, not to transmit, and then plugged the node into its Ethernet, I have had a single drop out in 5 months.