Cambridge Audio CXN, experiences and a couple of questions

Hi All,

Just picked this unit up about a week ago.  Purpose way to replace my Apple TV and W4S Remedy reclocker, as I was looking to dabble in some higher resolution downloads.  Main source of music for the last few months has been through Spotify for various reasons.

I must say, I am very impressed with what I hear so far.  Streaming Spotify on the highest quality level is very much an eye opening experience.  I thought the ATV and W4S unit was good.  But this unit takes things to another level.  The sound is very much engaging and never fails to put a smile on my face.  After a couple of days, I ended up selling my W4S unit as I could not hear a difference.  I might regret that in the future, but I did it.

The build quality of the unit is top notch as well, very sleek looking.  And while not quite built like a tank, I have no negatives to say.  User app is very easy to use, and because of the use of Spotify, the connect option makes that easy to work as well.

Collecting of the higher resolution downloads have started as well.  Currently storing on a HDD that plugs into the CXN front or back...couldnt be easier!!  I will explore a proper NAS in the future.

Connection is via a Wireworld Starlight 7 Co axial through the digital out of the player to the built in DAC on my Primare I22.  I have chosen this way to get acquainted with the unit as that was how the previous set up was done.  Just to complete the picture, speakers are Dynaudio Focus 160's, with Chord Rumour 2 speaker cable.  All is hooked up through an Isotek Solus conditioner, using power cables from Peter at Audio Principe.

What are the thoughts about using the built in DAC on the CXN vs. the Primare I22?  Currently do not posses any RCA cables to test it out.  But would be willing to give it a try!!

Also any feedback on a simple easy to use NAS?

Thanks everyone!!

Ron

post-150402-0-76488400-1443148983_thumb.

Hi All,

Just picked this unit up about a week ago.  Purpose way to replace my Apple TV and W4S Remedy reclocker, as I was looking to dabble in some higher resolution downloads.  Main source of music for the last few months has been through Spotify for various reasons.

I must say, I am very impressed with what I hear so far.  Streaming Spotify on the highest quality level is very much an eye opening experience.  I thought the ATV and W4S unit was good.  But this unit takes things to another level.  The sound is very much engaging and never fails to put a smile on my face.  After a couple of days, I ended up selling my W4S unit as I could not hear a difference.  I might regret that in the future, but I did it.

The build quality of the unit is top notch as well, very sleek looking.  And while not quite built like a tank, I have no negatives to say.  User app is very easy to use, and because of the use of Spotify, the connect option makes that easy to work as well.

Collecting of the higher resolution downloads have started as well.  Currently storing on a HDD that plugs into the CXN front or back...couldnt be easier!!  I will explore a proper NAS in the future.

Connection is via a Wireworld Starlight 7 Co axial through the digital out of the player to the built in DAC on my Primare I22.  I have chosen this way to get acquainted with the unit as that was how the previous set up was done.  Just to complete the picture, speakers are Dynaudio Focus 160's, with Chord Rumour 2 speaker cable.  All is hooked up through an Isotek Solus conditioner, using power cables from Peter at Audio Principe.

What are the thoughts about using the built in DAC on the CXN vs. the Primare I22?  Currently do not posses any RCA cables to test it out.  But would be willing to give it a try!!

Also any feedback on a simple easy to use NAS?

Thanks everyone!!

Ron

Congrats on your new toy!  :thumb: While I don't have the CXN, I am happy with my Stream Magic V2 and is pair with my Contours. So we're on the "right" track in terms of house sound. Now you have not mention what's your budget.  I assume your soul purpose is to store music and do have a robust network connection (Ethernet or a good wireless N)? No TV or movie storage/download/transcode duties? Okay with basic skills in setting up a computer?

Personally I have played with Synology and Qnap, and currently own two Qnap. These brands do have good reputations and should last you for a long time. For your need a basic two bay of either brand will do. Eg. X2 4Tb in mirrored pair configuration will last you a while. Fill you fill up em' up in quick time, just upgrade the drives capacity in the future, which is easy enough to do. 

CXN vs Primare, RCA is cheap enough why don't you give it whirl. You don't need mega expensive cable to test it out in my humble opinion. Just get your misses to to do swapping on the RCA end to blind test you... : )

I am using a pair balanced XLR out to my pre, doing a mighty fine job. Have fun!

Thanks Sirmorebeer,

At this point, only to store music, and as for a budget?  I would think somewhere between $500-$700?  

My computer skills are ok, not great but I can get my way around DOS no problems!!

As for the RCAs....I will pick some up in the next couple of weeks to test it out.

Thanks Sirmorebeer,

At this point, only to store music, and as for a budget?  I would think somewhere between $500-$700?  

My computer skills are ok, not great but I can get my way around DOS no problems!!

As for the RCAs....I will pick some up in the next couple of weeks to test it out.

Okay, budget of 500 to 700. Will get you a fairly good two bay NAS. 

1.) Qnap TS-251 - Link here for 399.

2.) x2 3Tb WD Red Drives here for 175 each.

The above configuration will give you about 2.5 to 2.8TB of usable diskspace post formatting. Setup is via web user interfaced (gui). It will be straight forward since you get get your way round DOS. Plus the above model can accommodate your future need. Eg. Adding content management/streaming server app like Plex.  If you do not need redundancy for your files, just aggregate (JBOD - just a bunch of disks) the two drives together which will give you a total around +5TB diskspace. 

Cheaper option you can check out Synology DS214 (it has weaker CPU and limited RAM). BTW what do you use Iphone or Android?

Any reason for the WD Red Drives?  As opposed to the blue or black?

WD red drives are designed for NAS - designed for long running non stop environment (your NAS/server), low power, smarts builld into firmware and is on QNAP approved list. Alternatively you could go for Segate NAS drives (blue I think...no 100% sure).

Here is an explanation by Seagate NAS vs Desktop drives. 

Good to see you're enjoying what it's offering so far.  I looked at this unit a number of months ago, and compared against the CA 851N.

How is the usability of the built-in Spotify?  I really like this idea, but it was a little buggy in the store when we tried it.  I ended up just listening to my WAV files via USB, which is how I prefer anyway.  Spotify through a good quality source is brilliant to listen to - I Airplay it through my Consonance and am very pleased with the results.

The second issue with the CXN was that it didn't display artwork from the WAV files via USB.  Have you found this?  Both of these issues could be unfamiliarity with the unit, so I'm keen to hear about your experiences.

I've decided to keep my files on USB and not run via NAS, so can advise on what you're looking at.  :)

Hi Kaynin,

I have had no issues with the built in Spotify.  When I start it up on my iPhone it gives me the option right off the bat to pick the CXN to play through.  Easy as.  I will add though, when I was trying it out in the shop they had a couple of issues getting it up and running as well.  

As for the artwork...off Spotify no issues.  Off my HDD is another story, it actually shows a picture of my kids...lol.  After reading up on it, when you are copying the music files over, if you copy a jpg of the artwork it should work.  In theory.  I have not gotten around to trying that yet.

As for the NAS, just beginning to look into it right now.  All though plugging the hard drive into the back of the CXN, and listening to ripped CD's has it own pleasure as well.  No worries about network traffic, WIFI dropouts or anything like that.  If only I had read about the artwork sooner....lol.

Edited by Strykerhawk
  • Like 1

I am intrigued by the cxn,

though only problem is ...I seem to be even more intrigued by the 851N :D

Right now Im tossing up between the 851N and the Sony HAP-Z1ES. Both different beasts. The Cambridge is certainly more flexible, feature-packed, but the Sony's performance as a server just blew me away. Stunning piece of kit.

Right now Im tossing up between the 851N and the Sony HAP-Z1ES. Both different beasts. The Cambridge is certainly more flexible, feature-packed, but the Sony's performance as a server just blew me away. Stunning piece of kit.

I had Sony as server, it's good but not perfect and I reckon Cambridge will have it for analog output

After a weekend of listening and swapping cables, and moving some things around.  The analog output from the CXN has indeed proved to sound better (to me anyway), than running digital into my Primare.  I am not going to put a bunch of words on it, lets just go with the music seems more natural.  

• Like 1

Good to see you're enjoying what it's offering so far.  I looked at this unit a number of months ago, and compared against the CA 851N.

How is the usability of the built-in Spotify?  I really like this idea, but it was a little buggy in the store when we tried it.  I ended up just listening to my WAV files via USB, which is how I prefer anyway.  Spotify through a good quality source is brilliant to listen to - I Airplay it through my Consonance and am very pleased with the results.

The second issue with the CXN was that it didn't display artwork from the WAV files via USB.  Have you found this?  Both of these issues could be unfamiliarity with the unit, so I'm keen to hear about your experiences.

I've decided to keep my files on USB and not run via NAS, so can advise on what you're looking at.  :)

Just a quick note regarding the artwork.  Yes, it is a simple as making sure a JPG file is in the album folder.  It took me a bit to get them done, as I should of read the manual before....

post-150402-0-88457900-1443509465_thumb.

• Like 1

high on my list too..

so if looking at say iTunes library...would it pick up art work ?

and same with other tracks will it pick up artwork using grace notes and such or do you have to put jpegs in there for every track/album ?

Btw, 

Just a quick note regarding the artwork.  Yes, it is a simple as making sure a JPG file is in the album folder.  It took me a bit to get them done, as I should of read the manual before....

Btw, if serve your CXN with Plex, it automatically download the artwork and tag (genre) it for you. 

Not to draw the thread off topic (again!) but I finally decided to take the plunge and go for the Sony HAP-Z1ES. As other members of the family will need to use this, simplicity was a deciding factor (too many buttons/inputs on the 851N).

I'll resurrect the old thread for this when it finally arrives next week.

Ok, please continue.....

Edited by Hydrology
  • Like 1

high on my list too..

so if looking at say iTunes library...would it pick up art work ?

and same with other tracks will it pick up artwork using grace notes and such or do you have to put jpegs in there for every track/album ?

I just had a try with iTunes from my computer, and I can say yes, it will pick up the artwork.  

At this point I have just added one JPEG to each album folder, that way the file works for all the songs on that album.

Not to draw the thread off topic (again!) but I finally decided to take the plunge and go for the Sony HAP-Z1ES. As other members need to use this, simplicity was a deciding factor (too many buttons/inputs on the 851N).

I'll resurrect the old thread for this when it finally arrives next week.

Ok, please continue.....

Hope you enjoy, and it works out for you.  I would be interested to hear your thoughts.