Low noise power supplies, 5v, 9v & 12v.

Gieseler Audio

HI Clay,

i am considering purchasing a micro rendu at present and looking at your PS as well, 7.5v I would think.   Can you please give me the sizing details of the PS and external transformer ( it is external isn't it ?)

chris 

New Model.

We now make a 12v 4 Amp version. It is in the same size case as the standard version but uses a large 105 watt 12v external transformer. The internal capacitance has been bumped up plus new high efficiency insulated TO220 low noise Schottky diodes which are attached to the case. It is fairly efficient for a linear supply & usually runs just slightly warm with normal use. Ideal for a small music server like a SonicTransporter or any of the mini-itx based servers - eg Antipodes. I have sold a few already & had good feedback.

Cost is $350 which includes Australia wide delivery.

• Like 1

Hi Chrakker,

from the microRendu forums (& Small Green Computer) 7v appears to be the sweet spot. My standard Low Noise PSU now has 7v as a standard preset so that is what I would recommend.

Case size

53mm h X 103mm w X 120mm d

http://au.element14.com/hammond/1455n1201bk/box-black-aluminium-end-plate/dp/9287876

External transformer

http://www.wagneronline.com.au/9-vrms-2000ma-ac/power-supplies/power-lighting/aca2000-9-14687/10050/pd/

It is a fairly standard size plug pack but I can measure it when I get to work if you like.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thanks to Clay for the two fantastic linear PSU's I picked up this week. Couldn't be happier with the quality - really improved the system.

I only now just realise this but it's so true: you don't really realise you have noise in your system until the noise is removed. Replacing a couple stock psu's with Clay's was a revelation.

Cheers, Sean

• Like 1

Hi John,

the UpTone Audio LPS-1 looks like a very impressive & well designed PSU. It is refreshing to see such a radically different design.

In comparison my low noise supplies are far more conventional. They are based on a well proved design using extra filtering & top quality parts. In testing I found going from say a generic SMPS to a good quality linear supply there was definite noticeable improvement in sound quality. When I compared different linear PSU's & batteries it was much harder to hear any differences.

Maybe someone can do some comparisons between a good conventional linear PSU & the LPS-1 & report back.

Edited by Gieseler Audio

Hi John,
the UpTone Audio LPS-1 looks like a very impressive & well designed PSU. It is refreshing to see such a radically different design.

Sorry Clay I might have confused what I was asking. The LPS-1 needs a DC power supply for the ultracapacitors to work.

Although they say the device is fine with any ol SMPS, there has been lots of discussions from other contributors about how an LPS should still be used to prevent noise going back into the line impacting other devices.

So what I was asking is if you can supply an LPS that meets the specs for the input. I think they mention 12V/1.5A, 9V/2A, or 7.5V/2.5A as being what is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi John,

sorry - I didn't realise that.

OK - yes I have a new 12v 4A supply that would be ideal.

Cost is $350 which includes delivery. Em84 (Sean) has just purchased one so I'm sure he can give us some feedback.

Cheers Clay

Edited by Gieseler Audio

Hi John,
sorry - I didn't realise that.
OK - yes I have a new 12v 4A supply that would be ideal.
Cost is $350 which includes delivery. Em84 (Sean) has just purchased one so I'm sure he can give us some feedback.
Cheers Clay

Very happy :-)

Sent from my Blackberry DTEK50 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 10/8/2016 at 11:02 PM, Gieseler Audio said:

Hi John,

In comparison my low noise supplies are far more conventional. They are based on a well proved design using extra filtering & top quality parts. In testing I found going from say a generic SMPS to a good quality linear supply there was definite noticeable improvement in sound quality. When I compared different linear PSU's & batteries it was much harder to hear any differences.

Maybe someone can do some comparisons between a good conventional linear PSU & the LPS-1 & report back.

It's a bit early with not many LPS-1's out in the wild yet but I'd also be interested in comparisons between quality linear PSU's (like Clay's) and the LPS-1.

But I wonder if the performance of the LPS-1 (with something like a Regen or mRendu) would be identical to a battery pack? Except there's no need to replace expensive batteries continuously when they're flat and the added advantage of having 3 selectable DC output voltages? These are major advantages but if testing a battery pack is a good test to how the LPS-1 would perform then it's very reassuring (to me) that Clay hasn't found significant differences between  batteries and his linear PSU's.

I might be wrong but getting a battery pack might also a cheaper way to test before committing to the LPS-1. Something like this might be a good test if the DC plug fits your device and if the DC output voltage and current suits of course: https://www.jaycar.com.au/4-x-aa-switched-battery-enclosure-with-2-1mm-dc-plug/p/PH9283

The difference from generic SMPS to Clay's linear PSU's was significant in my system though.

Edited by Em84
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Neo said:

Em84 can you describe this significant difference that you noticed with Clays power supply. I'm considering getting one for chord hd and auralic Aries le.

Neo

This is tough because I am hopeless at describing sound in general, let alone differences/improvements.

Honestly, the absolute best way I can describe it without sounding ridiculous is how I described it 8 posts up (and those were . I didn't realise noise was adding some harshness to my system until I removed the sources of the noise (I may still sound ridiculous there). I added 2 of Clay's low noise linear PSU's and also removed a noisy wifi router from my system (replaced the router with powerline adapters to give the NAS network access). I'm still a tad shocked at the difference to be honest.

For the Auralic, see if you can demo the optional Auralic external LPS in a shop to hear the difference a quality linear PSU makes. I think your Auralic needs 16VDC @ 1A though and I'm not sure Clay makes PSU's with that high DC voltage out? I THINK your Chord needs 12VDC @ 1 A so you should be ok with Clay's 12DVC @ 4A but double check with the main man.

Sorry if this doesn't help much :-(

31 minutes ago, Em84 said:

This is tough because I am hopeless at describing sound in general, let alone differences/improvements.

Honestly, the absolute best way I can describe it without sounding ridiculous is how I described it 8 posts up (and those were . I didn't realise noise was adding some harshness to my system until I removed the sources of the noise (I may still sound ridiculous there). I added 2 of Clay's low noise linear PSU's and also removed a noisy wifi router from my system (replaced the router with powerline adapters to give the NAS network access). I'm still a tad shocked at the difference to be honest.

For the Auralic, see if you can demo the optional Auralic external LPS in a shop to hear the difference a quality linear PSU makes. I think your Auralic needs 16VDC @ 1A though and I'm not sure Clay makes PSU's with that high DC voltage out? I THINK your Chord needs 12VDC @ 1 A so you should be ok with Clay's 12DVC @ 4A but double check with the main man.

Sorry if this doesn't help much :-(

On the contrary very helpful :)

had a chat to Clay today and he's able to do a lps for Aries, it will require a larger transformer. Unfortunately I cannot borrow the dedicated auralic lps to get an idea and to buy its abit dear at $540 discounted from $649.

I was considering getting the m2tech psu but at $900 it's abit steep and auralic psu for $540. To me that's a lot of money

so exploring options, Clays PSU's money wise and people's positive feedback steering me towards a purchase from him

i will have to do some measuring so the cabling is as short as possible and I go from there

Neo

1 minute ago, Neo said:

On the contrary very helpful :)

had a chat to Clay today and he's able to do a lps for Aries, it will require a larger transformer. Unfortunately I cannot borrow the dedicated auralic lps to get an idea and to buy its abit dear at $540 discounted from $649.

I was considering getting the m2tech psu but at $900 it's abit steep and auralic psu for $540. To me that's a lot of money

so exploring options, Clays PSU's money wise and people's positive feedback steering me towards a purchase from him

i will have to do some measuring so the cabling is as short as possible and I go from there

Neo

Excellent! Oh yes I didn't mean for you to borrow or buy an Auralic LPS - I meant to say see if you can listen to one in a shop. Because the improvement over the standard PSU that comes with your Auralic would be similar (I think same) as the improvement Clay's would make and for much less cost as you say.

But great to hear you've already found a potential solution with Clay.  For a little more than the price of the Auralic LPS you can power both your Auralic and your Chord with 2 top quality linear PSU's from Clay.

Cheers again

Sean

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to say how pleased I am with the 12v PSU that Clay supplied for my Technics SL-10 turntable. I'll try and describe the sonic benefits over in the (fairly niche-interest!) SL-10 thread but wanted to say here that the customer experience was really outstanding. Clay was extremely patient and helpful with my questions even before I'd placed an order, and went out of his way to make sure the unit and cabling was suitable for my setup. Terrific product and service!

• Like 4

Hi Clay

I am interested to know if you can help me with a power supply for a Paris head amp that Andyr is building for me.

It needs 12v with a center positive barrel plug and consumes about 50Ma.

Cheers

Michael

Hi Michael,

yes no problem with 12v - 1A is probably the lowest current rating I have but more current headroom is always a good thing.

So an entry level version low noise linear PSU with stand Kemet filter caps would be $300.

There are various upgrade paths like Nichicon Gold Tune capacitors & choke filter so PM me & I can give you more details

Cheers Clay