Tannoy westminster se build

tvcollector

Hi all im new here and a big hifi fan, Im very excited to be starting my new

Project a set of Tannoy westminster se cabinets. It is a big project and its a first for me as ive never built anything like this before but its a challenge.

Unfortunately because the specs use different sized timber i have to glue sheets together to make the thicknesses i need. I will be mounting a set of tannoy gold monitors in them as i already have them. Any feedback would be welcome especially if anyone else has taken on this awsome project.

post-148796-0-14573200-1441628353_thumb.

post-148796-0-83986900-1441628451_thumb.

Edited by tvcollector
  • Like 13

I install car audio and have built subboxes and custom trims so we have most

of the tools inc router and saws so im willing to give it a go its definitely a challenge but i really like challenging myself plus these are my dream speaker so its worth the effort

Even if they dont turn out exactly to plan.

• Like 2

Any feedback would be welcome especially if anyone else has taken on this awsome project.

Replacement box and crossover for a 12" version is the closest I've done......  but lots more tricky angles and shapes in your build, but it sounds like you are up for that.    :thumbup:

For about $4k shipped there are 2 services in Japan and China that build you a pair of dimension matched to the original WestMinister enclosures. They also build other speaker enclosures based off Western Electric, JBL, Magnavox and Tannoy models.

Here is a read of one of the first few guys around that built the WM clones:

http://www.diyaudio.rs/topic/2723-diy-tannoy-westminster-royal/#entry54067

Edited by DefQon
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Dont know yet probably cut the bach of 12mm and bend ive seen a few ways but

Its all work it out as i go they arnt going to be rushed i want to enjoy building these and doing everything to the best quality will make it all worth it when i hear them, started drawing out

Peices readt for cutting just waiting till i get the router back

• 3 weeks later...

Good luck with a herculean project Just remember that the modern 15 inch pepper pot wave guide driver has significantly different specs from the Gold & you may need custom X over mods to make it all work.

How would i go about changing as the specs on the new to the hpd is almost the same? I have a set of Golds and HPDs 

For about $4k shipped there are 2 services in Japan and China that build you a pair of dimension matched to the original WestMinister enclosures. They also build other speaker enclosures based off Western Electric, JBL, Magnavox and Tannoy models.

Here is a read of one of the first few guys around that built the WM clones:

http://www.diyaudio.rs/topic/2723-diy-tannoy-westminster-royal/#entry54067

Yes but his arnt exact, He has mounted the driver with a full opening and when you look at his measurements the are very diferent to the originals even timber thickness and the chamber. 

What is the main variaton of significance is the surround & cone reinforcing ribs. With the gold and all before that there were no reinfocing ribs glued to the back of the cone. The ribs were only for the 12 & 15 inch. Along with the infamous early foam surrounds they increased cone mass altered the compliance. That increased cone mass & lowered efficiency which obviously changed QTS. This change was wrought to try & make the drivers more suitable to the "new wave" of transistor amps with more current & power. By the mid 70's the alnico magnets were deleted. The early HPD still ran alnico (aluminum,nickel,cobalt ) with an A configuration ie HPD 315 A. This was due to the expense and intermittent supply issues with the Cobalt that had only 2 main sources @ the time both with polital stability issues. Thanks (apparently) in part to the efforts of a few fantical Japanese audiophiles who apparently refused to buy any non Alnico magnet Tannoys. The Alnico magnets were re-introduced in the Prestige range. The pepperpot waveguide was made out of a heavy brass/copper alloy and precision CNC machined in stark contrast to the hit & miss quality of the early ones. The surround went to a double roll cloth ompregnated polymer. The crossover went all high end polypropylene caps & resistors. To my ears they still sound best with valve amps. They just need big ones. Hope this helps.

Edited by thermonicavenger

Lastly I think that the high compliance surround of the HPD the foam one might not be the best choice for horn loading. This is a double horn and the interactions between the driver and horn are extremely complex. You need an expert in this type of design to steer you right & that isn't me. Best of luck and apologies for the thread hijack.I will shut up now.

Edited by thermonicavenger

Hi djb yes i understand your thoughts but I will use the HPDs untill i can afford a set of original ones, It will be good to hear the sound difference as everyone hears things different ive had a set of very high end Goodmans and sold them and bought a cheap set of Richard allans and i liked the richard allans better they were crisper so its going to be trial and error im not after 100% perfect sound im building these because i really like the look of them they are my dream speaker and if they sound great im happy.  I know alot of people will critacise me for that comment but we are all different.