Next Gen OLED TVs

Had a good look at the lg oleds over the past few weeks, and compared to the high end sony and samsung models.

In my mind there is no doubt that they are far and away the best screens at the moment. Totally dominate like the kuro back in the day.

Have you used your own content @@AudioGeek ?

I agree the picture is well ahead of LED tellies but I often see that people comment on the trouble OLED has with motion around the web. All the store demo stuff I have seen is always very slow panned still shots which look stunning even on the 1080p OLED.

I am hopeful they will get on top of this weakness in the next couple of model cycles.

• Like 1

I agree the picture is well ahead of LED tellies but I often see that people comment on the trouble OLED has with motion around the web. All the store demo stuff I have seen is always very slow panned still shots which look stunning even on the 1080p OLED.

I am hopeful they will get on top of this weakness in the next couple of model cycles.

Yup, I'm not buying another TV until motion issues are sorted out. Was watching AFL in HD on the weekend and could see ghosting artefacts, 2 balls flying across the screen... Same goes for the cricket.

its a very good point about trying your own material. those demo loop things the manufacturers supply are never a good guide to a quality of a telly. they are always over primed ...almost artificially so. always slow moving objects ...very sloooooow pans. some of it I swear isn't even real imagery ...looks cgi...or maybe its the telly making it look so !  hardly any of these are even calibrated...so always pumped up too for the bright environment of the shop to have people drawn to them moth to a flame like...

Yup, I'm not buying another TV until motion issues are sorted out. Was watching AFL in HD on the weekend and could see ghosting artefacts, 2 balls flying across the screen... Same goes for the cricket.

2balls ! wow thats bad ! a good heads up to make sure properly explore before buying into something like this !  

2balls ! wow thats bad ! a good heads up to make sure properly explore before buying into something like this !  

Mine was a freebie for signing up to business phone system. Lower spec Samsung LCD.

Thats a great point. I did try some movies as a relative works at our local jb hifi, but did not try sport. Would be a deal breaker for the current model if EPL lokked poor.

Thats a great point. I did try some movies as a relative works at our local jb hifi, but did not try sport. Would be a deal breaker for the current model if EPL lokked poor.

good able to try some movies as most make it hard to try movies and stuff. usually just tvs sitting on their own on a loop or in a store feed so often limited what can view on them.

Got my 55ec930t last Thursday. It is a massive improvement on what you we had in the past. The picture via netflix or bluray is incredible. I haven't watched much sport so far but I wasnt dissapointed when watching a few minutes of the nrl. The new 4k models must really be something.

I think I'll wait for the 2016 LG flat OLED models to be released in Australia later this year.  We were going to get a bigger screen TV but we've recently decided 65" suits the new furniture and the room better aesthetically, making OLED an obvious option.  I just can't bring myself to pay top dollar for models we know are already superseded and are being cynically dumped on the Australian market, just as the curved ones had been.

If there's not much advancement with the next model, I'd consider one of the ones they're currently selling if a decent discount is available.  However, I expect they'll keep the local stock levels low so they don't have to discount.  Or worse, they'll stall the local release of the new models shown at this years CES until they've pretty well exhausted the stocks of the models selling currently.

It's a shame we really are the "poor cousins" downunder when it comes to getting the latest and greatest supplied here.

Our 11yo Pioneer Plasma is still going strong anyway - a legacy of the time when quality was part of the equation.  I don't expect whatever we buy next to have the same longevity in any sense of the word. 

Edited by Tony M

hi Tony, I hate to think just how old our gen 9 pio is now...but yeah happy to bide my time with no interest to replace while its still going.

ps am not sure the next range oleds have been released as yet. these flat ones are the ones that were at CES I think. i.e. wiht the latest hdmi port. and yes tech wise still the old panels...with the issues of colour uniformity and dead pixels and such. not sure if they can be considered 1st gen but still early in the piece would think :)

if not in a hurry would make sense to buy as later model with as mature a tech.

one thing I am pleased to see is the relatively sane pricing of the panels. i say this having bought the pioneer all those years ago when its rrp was what $8k ? but yeah i too would rather spend and get something can last the years.

hi Tony, I hate to think just how old our gen 9 pio is now...but yeah happy to bide my time with no interest to replace while its still going.

ps am not sure the next range oleds have been released as yet. these flat ones are the ones that were at CES I think. i.e. wiht the latest hdmi port. and yes tech wise still the old panels...with the issues of colour uniformity and dead pixels and such. not sure if they can be considered 1st gen but still early in the piece would think :)

if not in a hurry would make sense to buy as later model with as mature a tech.

one thing I am pleased to see is the relatively sane pricing of the panels. i say this having bought the pioneer all those years ago when its rrp was what $8k ? but yeah i too would rather spend and get something can last the years.

see my post #54.   The new models from CES are on the US LG web site and also have the new LG 3.0 op system - whatever that is over the current 2.0.

poor form in LG just releasing the 2015 models to AU, 12 months late.

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 1

Yeah BB, I paid exactly $8K in 2005.  Puts the current prices into perspective.

I'm sure the 55" and 65" flat OLEDS LG recently released in Australia were released O/S last year.  The models at the 2016 CES will supersede them.  I spoke to an LG rep last week who said the new ones will be sold here by the middle of the year, but who knows?  The gen 3 operating system is apparently a significant advance. 

Edit: I posted at the same time as MB - agree with what he says.

Edited by Tony M
  • Like 1

I've been looking into getting one of these OLED TV's, as coming from CRT projection, every large screen since has been a disappointment apart from brightness in comparison.

I went and checked out the LG's, the blacks are great, right up there with the old CRT TV's / Projectors.

The overall evenness of screen luminescence was far better than any LCD display I've see yet [one of my pet hates with LCD displays], colour uniformity was pretty impressive overall, and up with some of the higher end LCD TV's, and I imagine will only improve in future generations.

I thought they weren't as sharp as some of the best LCD, and 4k performance didn't seem like 4k compared to a 4k LCD display [not sure what the problem is there ]

I could live with the above, but the problems I found below, which for my specific needs [3D movies & Gaming], made them a none starter as a OLED alternative to a similarly price LCD set

Ghosting with anything moving faster than somebody running just as somebody mention previously, and that's just in 2D, try one of these LG's in 3D and it's pathetically bad.

I actually like 3D Movies, and it's one of the main reasons I was looking at these TV's, I had high hopes LG's passive 3D would look spectacular on one of their OLED TV's.[currently using Sony active 3D]

The slowness of doing anything on it, took ages to change anything in the menus.

Sony & Samsung don't pull out of a technology without a good reason, I'm tending to think that they found that there are just some problems bigger than the manufacturing problems and fragility with OLED ATM.

But it's sort of like Plasma when it first arrived on the scene, and with a lot of the same problems [screen burn in being the major one]

I'm sure a solution will be found eventually.

When it is, is when I buy into it...... guess I will have to live with dark greys instead of Blacks till then.

Saw my first current gen OLED's on Saturday, apart from store system settings in place, best looking tv's I've seen to date. LG's by the way (I dunno if there are others)

Got my lg55910t a couple of weeks ago, paid 2489, it pictures are mind boggling, no other display can come anywhere near this for the money, also the curved display is wounderful, i think the only people that bag it are people that dont own one, also who really needs 4k atm? Unless your addicted to watching utube demos,

• Like 2

Yes had a look at the latest LG OLEDs and they are phenomenal ......the best picture I have seen on a TV very realistic....and so bloody thin . An OLED will be my next TV when I return home from overseas. OLED's  may have some minor issues and not a huge fan of LG unless the other brands jump on the bandwagon they will be left behind even further ......all hail the new king for me!

Lg I didnt like, although they are market leaders in many products. Its a no choice no brainer, my grandma hit her wchair handbrake and skidded to a hault in orr!

I've had LED 200 Mhz  60" LG TV for 3 years now, so far very happy, waiting for prices to go down to upgrade to an OLED LG.

Read some reviews about their latest OLEDs, they claimed to have the best ever TV picture full stop.

But I am not going to make the mistake that I made back in 2005, which was paying $ 10K for a very early 50" plazma and then watch prices tumble down to half in less than a year. Almost brought tears to my eyes.

• 4 weeks later...

the other day walking in JB I noticed they had the latest LG OLED's finally the latest gen and the flat ones both in 55" and 65".

1stly like dogs balls the curved screens next to the flat once looked very whacky. like satellite dishes and causing all sorts of funny reflections with the lights off the ceiling. the flat ones though looked pretty decent. I know probably cranked to the max in the store and they dont show any real material i.e. fta tv or anything or disc. but they did look good.

I hope to hell our plasma never dies but if did I dont think id be disappointed in one of these flat oleds. the 65" still quite pricey at nearly $8k but the 55" pretty reasonable at $4.5k am sure with time they will drop down too price wise to even more sane levels. I know some more concerns exists e.g. colour uniformity, dead pixels etc and hopefully thats something sorted in subsequent gen too.

but atlast it would appear there is a new pretender to the throne :)

the other day walking in JB I noticed they had the latest LG OLED's finally the latest gen and the flat ones both in 55" and 65".

1stly like dogs balls the curved screens next to the flat once looked very whacky. like satellite dishes and causing all sorts of funny reflections with the lights off the ceiling. the flat ones though looked pretty decent. I know probably cranked to the max in the store and they dont show any real material i.e. fta tv or anything or disc. but they did look good.

I hope to hell our plasma never dies but if did I dont think id be disappointed in one of these flat oleds. the 65" still quite pricey at nearly $8k but the 55" pretty reasonable at $4.5k am sure with time they will drop down too price wise to even more sane levels. I know some more concerns exists e.g. colour uniformity, dead pixels etc and hopefully thats something sorted in subsequent gen too.

but atlast it would appear there is a new pretender to the throne :)

if you're talking about Inconsistent colour uniformity, its worst in plasma, and the previous generation LCD that was fluro backlight, Most people can't see the difference from one end to the other unless they know what they are looking for. Good screens will have a measured delta E difference of 5 max. At a Delta E from 2.8 with the naked eye, one could be tought to see the difference and even then most couldn't care less due to the price they pay. Then again, even with professional calibration most couldn't tell how close it would be to the original picture when it was shoot, until they were shown the original sample and do a comparison! Dead picture pixels will always exist. Edited by Addicted to music