Next Gen OLED TVs

I've just bought an LG EF950T 55" OLED. Wow! I've just had it mounted and only a few days to play with it and calibrate it but what an amazing picture. It's a shame that rural DSL won't realistically support 4K Netflix streaming. The only complaint so far is the next to zero documentation but it's almost more fun just to play around with it

Where did u get it from and how much?

I've just bought an LG EF950T 55" OLED. Wow! I've just had it mounted and only a few days to play with it and calibrate it but what an amazing picture. It's a shame that rural DSL won't realistically support 4K Netflix streaming. The only complaint so far is the next to zero documentation but it's almost more fun just to play around with it.

well thats good to hear... anything can download documentation wise... thats incase your rural dsl will cope with the download :D 

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking of getting one of these LG oleds (55EG910T). Good guys ebay store has 20% coupon atm, brings the ticket price from $2695 to about $2156

I know @:) al your not keen on the curved screen, but I cant justify around a grand extra for a flat, and I dont mind the appearance of the curved one.

The picture quality is stunning and a big step up on what I have (6 y.o. 40" sony bravia)

So, questions...

(on the deal)

From what I read, GG ebay store still comes with all that you get from going in store (extended warranty options, standard warranty, etc) Am I right there?

Does the item have to be paid for on ebay or can it be paid for at time of pick up? (a quick call to the store should clarify this, just asking in case someone already knows)

(on the TV)

I like to get extended warranties on most things, but also read that LG dosnt cover dead pixels, is it worth extending the warranty period?

Miracast dosnt work with IOS devices and apparently dosnt work well anyway. Comments?

Whats the "Magic remote" like to use?

Can a small TB hard drive be used successfully to record on, or does it need the OEM "time machine" drive?

My Pioneer HT amp requires an optical ARC, I dont now if I can make it sync with this TV as the TV appears to have HDMI ARC. Is there a work around for this?

Any other known issues that are worth a mention?

Cheers guys, any help would be great:thumb:

Edited by darth vader

I'm thinking of getting one of these LG oleds (55EG910T). Good guys ebay store has 20% coupon atm, brings the ticket price from $2695 to about $2156

I know @:) al your not keen on the curved screen, but I cant justify around a grand extra for a flat, and I dont mind the appearance of the curved one.
The picture quality is stunning and a big step up on what I have (6 y.o. 40" sony bravia)

So, questions...
(on the deal)
From what I read, GG ebay store still comes with all that you get from going in store (extended warranty options, standard warranty, etc) Am I right there?
Does the item have to be paid for on ebay or can it be paid for at time of pick up? (a quick call to the store should clarify this, just asking in case someone already knows)

Item must be paid for via paypal, the 20% off is actually covered by PayPal.
Not sure about extended warranty but other than that is exactly the same. Can get delivered or pick up in store

Went in to the GG's today, determined to strike a deal on the 55EG910T, given the price on ebay. Ebay store lists no stock in my local store, but I saw one on the shelf.

Apparently, display models are for sale no problems, but they are not listed in their system as "in stock".

What you said @2LOUD2OLD is true, Paypal/ebay are the ones that offer the coupons, not the seller (good guys).

But what do I see here? A 55EGT960...curved screen, FHD Oled...was $39xx, discounted to $2966.

This thing looks slick. The 910 SD kicked most all LED's into the dust, but add ultra hi def and this was gold.

So I tells cool old dude salesman "give ya $2950, cash folding stuff" his Boss says "no bueno"

I say see ya some other time then, no hard feelings"

So I takes meself off to the microwave oven section, as wifey made some noise about new Micro before telly. The "can I help you sir?" guy asks me were you looking at tv's?

Long story short, walked out with $0 discount on Oled UHD TV and $60 off a microwave.

Got it home and set up, man its a killer TV. I kinda dont care about the other issues just yet (HT hook up, etc) I'll sort them in good time. The std TV speakers are very, very good as far as TV goes. I was worried about syncing, but I think I'll leave it as is and just turn the HT receiver on for movies.

Some unforeseen benifits here are not racking up hrs on the HT amp/speakers when the kids want to watch ABC me. They dont care for fancy sound (they never said they wont watch operation ouch cos it doesnt sound good)

Watched a netflix movie (robocop) tonight, was very good

Watched 20 mins of Star wars, was very good.

Watched Jane Bun read the weather on Win HD channel, was very good. Who said curves are no good?....

• Like 2

Went in to the GG's today, determined to strike a deal on the 55EG910T, given the price on ebay. Ebay store lists no stock in my local store, but I saw one on the shelf.

Apparently, display models are for sale no problems, but they are not listed in their system as "in stock".

What you said @2LOUD2OLD is true, Paypal/ebay are the ones that offer the coupons, not the seller (good guys).

But what do I see here? A 55EGT960...curved screen, FHD Oled...was $39xx, discounted to $2966.

This thing looks slick. The 910 SD kicked most all LED's into the dust, but add ultra hi def and this was gold.

So I tells cool old dude salesman "give ya $2950, cash folding stuff" his Boss says "no bueno"
I say see ya some other time then, no hard feelings"

So I takes meself off to the microwave oven section, as wifey made some noise about new Micro before telly. The "can I help you sir?" guy asks me were you looking at tv's?

Long story short, walked out with $0 discount on Oled UHD TV and $60 off a microwave.

Got it home and set up, man its a killer TV. I kinda dont care about the other issues just yet (HT hook up, etc) I'll sort them in good time. The std TV speakers are very, very good as far as TV goes. I was worried about syncing, but I think I'll leave it as is and just turn the HT receiver on for movies.

Some unforeseen benifits here are not racking up hrs on the HT amp/speakers when the kids want to watch ABC me. They dont care for fancy sound (they never said they wont watch operation ouch cos it doesnt sound good)

Watched a netflix movie (robocop) tonight, was very good
Watched 20 mins of Star wars, was very good.
Watched Jane Bun read the weather on Win HD channel, was very good. Who said curves are no good?....

So you got no discount on the tv....apart from the 1000 that was already discounted off it... ha ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

Here's a YouTube video put up by somebody else, showing what that poster in the link above is complaining about.[Recommend watching in full screen]

I've read about it happening on the bigger sized screens, but this video is of a 55" TV.

Watching this, you do have to ask yourself, are people trying to run their OLED screens at a similar brightness and contrast level of a LED/LCD screen ?

If they are, they are screwing up their own screen because OLED can't do those brightness levels

There is some technical visual trickery going on with OLED at the moment to make the Blacks appear Blacker than they are, it basically done by making the White - Blue [like a washing powder does] to trick the eye into thinking it's whiter than it actually is, and hence the Black in comparison, Blacker.

You can see pre and post calibration results for a LG OLED in the second post down in this thread, shows the heavy Blue cast

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/110315-isf-calibration-photos/?page=3

Edited by Tweaky

• 4 months later...

I haven't noticed an issue with mine but I'll look harder.

I have noticed some text in FTA broadcasts like the small fine print on insurance ad's is a little blurry, but I put that down to broadcast issues, not the screen.

Netflix can be a bit bodgy at times too. But on BD playback its great.

Maybe the vertical banding is from the source??

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/gadgets-on-the-go/hands-on-sony-a1-ultra-hd-oled-20170810-gxt5v1.html

pretty balanced review of the TV there, tells both pro and cons. and there are some cons. so well worth bearing in mind. finally though looks like a tv with the mostest :D

I still wish they'd bring out  standard panel of the sony without the screen wobbling audio and inadequate "sub woofer" they have as the stand that only makes things awkward in viewing wiht screen angled and heavy and thick... 4 inches thick !!! can you believe ?

54 minutes ago, Keith_W said:

Any news when the 75" OLED's will arrive in Australia? 

Keith.  They are 77 inch.

I saw both the LG and the Sony in Harrods in May.  Mouthwatering.

When they get down $6k or close I will buy one. Until then I will continue to enjoy the awesome  X75C.

• 2 weeks later...

I went into a JBstore today and saw the 55inch Sony OLED. Wasn't impressed at all. Firstly, picture wasn't set up well so no opinion there, secondly, the stupid stupid kick stand it has that's a subwoofer also. I said to the salesman, who on earth wants to have a tv that's actually leaning backwards from the viewing position, and he said "what's wrong with that?" Wow, never in any situation if I was setting up any other tv in a living room would I have it lean back away from the viewing position. And don't get me started on the stupidity of wall mounting this tv. OLED TVs are supposed to be thin, that's one of their biggest features, but this tv, well what were they thinking. 

The LG with the separate sound bar is a far better solution. And that salesman, what a d#%$

Edited by Sime

3 hours ago, Sime said:

55inch Sony OLED. Wasn't impressed at all

interesting thoughts sime. i too dont get the stand thing. trying to be different I guess....

I know they are trying with the stand having a subwoofer. but I myself dont need audio from the telly and if were buying would wish could just buy without the subwoofer and screen wobbling tech etc ! 

what were your thoughts on wall mounting one of these ? is it concern the back stand on the thing has to stay and makes the TV some 4 inches ? thick ?