The Luxman L-550AX

Hello all. It has been almost a month since I've received my Luxman L-550AX and I wanted to shared my first impression and also to talk about one concern I was presenting in a previous post when asking for help to choose between the different integrated models offered by Luxman.

So first, it would be good to say right away that my main worry in regards the 550AX not been able to drive my B&W CM7's was absolute nonsense!... Yes the 550AX is only 20W per channel at 8 ohms, and yes the CM7 only has a sensitivity rated at 88db which makes it not particular sensitive BUT the 550 is powerful enough (and much more) to drive them effortless, like a hot knife cutting butter, very smoothly but accurate...Been a Class A amplifier really makes a difference, not just in sound signature but in power. In fact it drives the CM7 better than my previous 120W Rotel RB-1552 amp use to.

What I really like about the 550AX is not that it can drive the CM7's without problem but that it drives them beautifully. I've never been able to have the amount of bass I get from them now, and the quality of it in terms of impact, register and control. Just that is an amazing improvement in my system. Also the Treble is much pleasant than before, not edgy or harsh but with the right amount of detail and sweetness. The CM7's have a clearly forward presentation but somehow the 550AX manage to polish and smooth the "rough edges" giving an extremely musical but detailed experience. Best way I have to explain this is the fact that some days I listen for hours after hours even at high volume with not a single discomfort, or ever feeling the need to lower it. Also, another good thing about the 550AX is that it doesn't matter the volume you set, it always sound good and dynamic, which was an issue I used to have with my previous amp at lower volumes when everything seems extremely flat and boring.

Between other good things this amplifier have are the black background, depth and imaging . It is not death quite but pretty good, making the impression the music is coming from nowhere. I wouldn't say the soundstage is particularly wide or impressive but the depth and imaging really are. Is just brilliant, it renders a sense of space that I was not having before, which is amazing when listening to jazz records or classical ones.

I reckon I can go on and on trying to describe the good things and values of the L-550AX, but I will say now a couple of things that are not so good or affects me specially because we are talking about an amp of a RRP of $6,000. Yes, the build quality and materials used in the amp are amazing, except for the 6 small knobs under the big beautiful VU meters. They are made of plastic!, they look like aluminium but they are plastic! Why?!!...I like their shape, they fit perfectly, they move well, but the feeling and weight of the plastic is just not right...I think (but I might be wrong) the 590AX has them made of aluminium?

Another thing I'm not quite happy is that the Rec Out (or tape out) function only works when the amplifier is switch on, which is annoying because I wanted to be able to connect my external Phono amp and Dac to both this integrated and to my headphone amplifier. So if I'm planing to listen to Headphones through my Violectric V281 I have no choice but to switch on the 550AX! What a waste of Class A amplification...I've tried to fix this by using a Y splitter from the phono but I've noticed a reduction in quality in particular in the bass definition.

Finally I have a question in regards of the VU meters. First I have to say I absolute love them, they are amazing to watch and the orange tint is perfect (In fact I much prefer the warm orange to the cold blue of the Class AB Luxman models) But my question is about, first the speed and second the behaviour when changing the volume. I found them a bit slow and why do they are affected by the volume? do they measure the output or the input signal? Not that I really care or does any difference to me but I'm trying to figure it out what is the real function of them beside been extremely beautiful!... And if they have none I'll still like them.

As happy as I'am now with the Luxman I know the CM7's have become the worse link in my chain and that eventually I'll have to upgrade them but I'll leave that for the future in order to have some fun later on...and off course I will be asking for opinions and advice here to pair the right speakers with this beauty...

Anyway, here are a couple of shots of how my music setting looks like now...

post-151915-0-81977000-1438310129_thumb.

post-151915-0-11623600-1438310139_thumb.

post-151915-0-24312600-1438310149_thumb.

cheers!

Edited by jrivask
  • Like 13

Nice review!

I'm just trying to remember what the knobs on the front of mine are made of, they certainly don't feel plasticy.

Also notice the new 550 is missing the second XLR input but gains a Separate mode carried over from the 505 etc. A nice feature that i wish mine had originally, but now I wouldn't use anyway.

Thanks RockandorRoll,

Based on photos, yes the knobs on the previous 550ll looks like made of aluminium...

In regards of the XLR inputs, in my case doesn't make much of a difference because I only have one component with XLR outputs ( the NAD M51) and I don't even use that connection because the Luxman is not a real balanced amp so in theory there is no real benefit in using the XLR input over an RCA one...

Cheers!

Edited by jrivask

Hello, sorry to bring this thread back, but I wanted to insist on my question at the end of my original post. I would like for someone to explain me what the VU Meters in the Luxman integrated measure. You can clearly read on top of the meters that said "Power Output" but doesn't a VU meter measure the input signal and not the output which is affected by the volume? What is the purposes of doing this instead?

Cheers

post-151915-0-84594100-1438648498_thumb.

Edited by jrivask

Thanks for the update and glad to hear you're enjoying the Luxman Jorge. I have 87db 4ohm speakers in a small room, so pure class A amp might be a goer for me too :)

Yeah the 550 will put 40W in 4 Ohm speakers.

Yeah the 550 will put 40W in 4 Ohm speakers.

Which if i work it out right.... will give a max 96db of sound pressure in the room, and I'm happy with 86db, so all good.  (?)

If only I can help Jorge with his VU meter Q.  :)

If only I can help Jorge with his VU meter Q.   :)

Yeah...thanks Grainy for your concern...No luck so far...it seems nobody knows...

...And by the way, which speakers do you have? I'm interested to know for future reference...

Cheers

Edited by jrivask

VU meters can be used to measure whatever the designer feels like.

My experience is;

For power amps its normally output power.

Preamps would normally be output level, but could also be input to help avoid input clipping.

Tape decks used to swap between input/output/record levels depending on mode (play/record/monitor)

'professional' gear should have both input and separate output meters to show if theres any chance of clipping at either end.

Thanks Green Wagon for your reply, if you don't mind could you explain beside the obvious what the difference are? How do I read the power output in my Luxman? Is their approach the same as let's say Mcintosh and Accuphase? Why do they use different power scales etc?

Edited by jrivask

Yeah...thanks Grainy for your concern...No luck so far...it seems nobody knows...

...And by the way, which speakers do you have? I'm interested to know for future reference...

Cheers

Currently have Dynaudio Focus 260's . Might hit you up have for a listen once I have my new man cave sorted   ;)   

Edited by Grainy

Thanks Green Wagon for your reply, if you don't mind could you explain beside the obvious what the difference are? Differences ? Sorry I don't understand.

How do I read the power output in my Luxman? My best guess would be that '0 DB' is referenced to full power output. 

Is their approach the same as let's say Mcintosh and Accuphase? I have no idea.

Why do they use different power scales etc? That you will have to ask the designer.

The world of VU meters is a study in it's own right.

What weighting has been applied ?

Peak or average ?

What are they referenced to ?

Whats the under shoot and overshoot percentage ?

Unless they tell you theses and other info, view them as a bit of useless fluffery that dances with the music.

A true vu meter is a very expensive precision device that has been very carefully designed and calibrated.

The weight and counter balancing of the moving mass (needle) is only one small part of the whole design.

Such expense is seldom used these days.

In early times (oh god I'm old) these proper VU meters would cost as much as a transformer and have 'jewel' bearings, yes, just like swiss watches.

I have a most unscientific but hugely satisfying answer for the OP. As a fellow Luxman 550A owner and lover, deciphering the mystery of the VU meters is easy. When the needles are mostly or always in the centre or the right hand side of the meter, you know it is either

1. Too loud if you are not alone

OR

2. Just right if you are listening solo :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nice review!

I'm just trying to remember what the knobs on the front of mine are made of, they certainly don't feel plasticy.

We have the same model Luxman and it's metal knobs all the way ;)

We have the same model Luxman and it's metal knobs all the way ;)

Yes, the previous model, that is L-550A II, does have metal knobs all the way, although of a different shape...the latest version L-550AX which is the one I've reviewed has only the two big circular ones ( input selector and volume ) and the small buttons made of aluminium and the 6 ones under the VU meters made of plastic. The bigger and much more expensive L-590AX have all the knobs made of aluminium. I guess because beside the extra 10W per chanel and extra XLR input they needed to justify the extra $4000! ...:)

post-151915-0-67137400-1438952770_thumb.

Edited by jrivask

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested I noted that stereophonic are having a Luxman night on 25/08, signed up on their website today. I also haven't been to there shop since they moved from docklands a while back.

They also have a couple of guests from Luxman Japan and IAG.

It didn't say which equipment would be demoed , but I am hoping to hear the 700 or 900 series power and pre amps. It would be interesting to see how it stacks up against the new psaudio bhk 250 which I heard at Carlton AV a few weeks back.

Edited by Demondes

For anyone interested I noted that stereophonic are having a Luxman night on 25/08, signed up on their website today. I also haven't been to there shop since they moved from docklands a while back.

They also have a couple of guests from Luxman Japan and IAG.

Yeah and I can't go :angry:

Good luck to those who can. try resisting after you hear them :)

• 11 months later...

I know is an old thread, but I'm pretty excited about the L-550AX which I purchased a month ago that replaces the L-505u I had. It's still burning in, playing music daily while I'm at work, each day it's sounding better, Luxman apparently recommends at least 400hrs burn in. It's a beautiful amp in all regards. I initially worried about lack of power from the 20 watts, but was wrong to doubt. Seems just as powerful as the 100 watt 505u.

Edited by audioaddict78
  • Like 1

I received my Luxman L-507uX yesterday and only had a chance to listen to a couple of lp's and I'm impressed so far. Very different to my ME pre/power but I need a lot more listening to really define that difference.

The build quality of this thing is gorgeous!

Enjoy your new toy @@audioaddict78 as I believe I'm going to.

• Like 2

I received my Luxman L-507uX yesterday and only had a chance to listen to a couple of lp's and I'm impressed so far. Very different to my ME pre/power but I need a lot more listening to really define that difference.

The build quality of this thing is gorgeous!

Enjoy your new toy @@audioaddict78 as I believe I'm going to.

If it's new, the sound will change quite a bit as it break in, most noticeable after about 100hrs, then continues to get better. The Phono stages on these things are incredible.