How to move speakers long haul

Hi Guys,

I have a Question: Do i transport speakers standing up or lying down?

I'm moving a pair of Duntech Crown Princes....over 1200klm Sydney to Noosa.

A) If the removal company takes them they're standing up......

:cool: If i take them they're lying down back of a wagon........cones facing up or cones facing down?

My thinking is lying down the up and down motion of the car the cones normal travel is preserved.

You are correct that lying down is best as the cones normal travel is preserved.

I generally have the drivers facing upwards to avoid the drivers being crushed or contacted with.

Make sure they are well padded and secure can't roll over or move as if you have to brake heavily they can move and can be dangerous or get damaged.

You also may be interested in reading this thread as a warning to make sure your system is safe before revivalists start moving couches etc

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/82659-damage-to-sonus-faber-cremona-speakers-by-delivery-guy/

Best of luck with the move and hope all goes well :)

• Like 1

Remember, removal packers are not there for their brain power.  It's a mongrel of a job and they will do it the easiest and quickest way possible with a little bit of care and no responsibility.

Pack well and securely  :wacko:

I read in a Proac manual once that the speaker terminals should be bridged when transporting.  I assume the cone movement generates a current and charges the caps like a back EMF effect.  I again assume this could cause damage when discharged or push the driver to one extreme.  I have never heard any other company recommending this?  Has anyone else? 

Mrs M and I transported Crown Princes in a Commodore wagon a couple of decades ago when the buyer said he had no way of getting them home - relatively hassle-free caper.  Sovereigns would've been a different story, but I might not have sold those. ;) 

We unbolted the plinths first and carried them on their backs.

I would think either transport them flat on their backs, or on their sides with the cones facing each other.

I've transported speakers both ways in the back of my station wagon. Covered with blankets to protect them, and braced to prevent them from sliding around.