Gieseler Audio

Klein DAC owners thread

Hi Alberto,

9v AC is fine but 12v AC is probably a bit high. With 12v there would quite a bit of heat disaption within the the Klein causing it to run quite hot which is not good. All Klein's DAC's now use a 9v AC 2A external transformer as the 10v unit you have is no longer available. The 10v unit was very nice but unfortunately it was discontinued.

Wiffle   

Can anyone tell me the output voltage of the klein dac?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

betocool   

If I remember correctly, it's 5V or so P-P at full blast.

But don't take my word for it, Clay know better....

Wiffle   
If I remember correctly, it's 5V or so P-P at full blast.

But don't take my word for it, Clay know better....

Thanks@betocool I'll double check with Clay. Thinking of running it straight into a power amp with no pre; suggested voltage was 2-4v...

betocool   

5V peak to peak is 2.5V to -2.5V, which is about (roughly) 2V RMS. Check out what the amp says, RMS or P-P or what.

All Klein DAC's have maxium output 2 v RMS except for some of the very early ones which were higher at 3 v RMS.

Edited by Gieseler Audio

Wiffle   

Thanks Clay; FWIW checked my manual when i got home and it says output voltage is 2.7v rms. So do you think it'll be able to drive a power amp directly when fed from the sbt?

Yes the Klein will drive a power amp directly. I used to use mine like that using JRiver in variable out mode. You just need to be a bit careful with initial setup & testing. Try & find a track that has a very low level at the start that way if you get it wrong you won't damage your speakers.

powerav   

I'll be in the market for a new dac soon (3 months) for my Aries Mini, the Klein dac is the perfect choice but just wondering is there a newer or updated model planned?

Jonny   
51 minutes ago, powerav said:

I'll be in the market for a new dac soon (3 months) for my Aries Mini, the Klein dac is the perfect choice but just wondering is there a newer or updated model planned?

There's talk of it in the Konverter thread on page 8-9.

powerav   
35 minutes ago, Jonny said:

There's talk of it in the Konverter thread on page 8-9.

Yes well that's what I'm after, bang for buck and no bling.

well maybe some pretty lights for sampling rates.:)

Edited by powerav

Hi Dan,

the standard Klein at $750 is probably the best bang for buck but no DSD or sample rate display.

The Klein II at $1000 adds DSD, remote control & display showing sample rate, filter setting ect.

It had a small update in March this year with a new pcb but the same functions.

Johnny is talking about a brand new higher specked DAC which I will be releasing soon.

Seperate from the Klein range & around $2k.

powerav   
4 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

the standard Klein at $750 is probably the best bang for buck but no DSD or sample rate display.

The Klein II at $1000 adds DSD, remote control & display showing sample rate, filter setting ect

Ok this is what I'll be looking at then, I had a second hand Klein and was the biggest regret sale ever but it was for a reason. Will probably look at the Klein 2 next time for the display and remote options.

Thanks Clay, hopefully my tax accountant does a good job this year.:thumb:

zypr   

I've noticed this inconvenience with my Klein DAC where if I turn it on in the morning I need to keep turning it off and on for it to work, it's weird since the light is on when it's not working.

Now it's started it happen a lot more and sometimes I have to sit there flicking it off and on for longer if it doesn't start after 5 minutes or so, any ideas on this?

Edited by zypr

scumbag   
6 minutes ago, zypr said:

I've noticed this inconvenience with my Klein DAC where if I turn it on in the morning I need to keep turning it off and on for it to work, it's weird since the light is on when it's not working.

Now it's started it happen a lot more and sometimes I have to sit there flicking it off and on for longer if it doesn't start after 5 minutes or so, any ideas on this?

Best to talk to Clay. When you say it doesn't work, do you mean the source reports that it is no longer there or does the source "see" the DAC and no sound comes out?

zypr   
2 minutes ago, scumbag said:

Best to talk to Clay. When you say it doesn't work, do you mean the source reports that it is no longer there or does the source "see" the DAC and no sound comes out?

By the looks of it it's just not outputting anything to my amp, but my computer recognises the device.

Hi Thomas,

that is an unusual problem that I have not struck before. If you would like to send it back to me I will sort it out & it is certainly covered under warranty. PM me & I will give you the shipping address.

Cheers Clay

scumbag   
12 minutes ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Hi Thomas,

that is an unusual problem that I have not struck before. If you would like to send it back to me I will sort it out & it is certainly covered under warranty. PM me & I will give you the shipping address.

Cheers Clay

Result.