Klein DAC owners thread

Gieseler Audio

Hi guys,

well there are quite a few Klein DAC's out there now so I thought I would start a new topic just for owners.

It might be a handy quick reference to compare filter settings, input quality comparison, testimonial's etc.

regards

Clay :cool:

PS Liam, your DAC left today via Express Post

Edited by Gieseler Audio

Received this DAC today and, I must say, I am really impressed upon the initial listening session. 3D like and very organic sound. It is hard to pinpoint any particular area where it shines, it just does things right. Great instrument separation, tonal balance and vocals sound sublime. It is very easy to use all the cliché words, but this is a very special DAC. Huge, but not exaggerated sound stage. Good job, Clay! 

Edited by qwerter
  • Like 3

I suspect that a good part of the Dacs performance is due to the power rectification/regulation designed within it. Having not heard this Dac it's pure speculation on my part, but I do know how important power delivery within digital circuits is.

AJ 

• Like 5

Hi Juicester,

Spyne is absolutely correct in that my DAC needs a AC supply. The reason for this is that internally the Klein has eight different regulated supplies & four of these have there own SIC/Schottky rectifiers setups.

To try & run the DAC with a single DC input would severely compromise & cripple the performance. Also the output stage uses + & - 12 volt supplies, difficult to implement well with a single DC input supply.

The current power pack is way over specified at 2.4 Amp, the DAC only draws abut 650 MA & with a class A output stage current draw does not vary much. As an experiment I compared a huge RS components IE core transformer

to the plugpack I use & had great difficulty hearing any difference.

I hope this has answered your question.

Regards,

Clay

PS thanks AJ - absolutely spot on!

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 2

I suspect that a good part of the Dacs performance is due to the power rectification/regulation designed within it. Having not heard this Dac it's pure speculation on my part, but I do know how important power delivery within digital circuits is.

AJ 

Precisely my point. As good as the little power pack is; I'm very doubtful it's as good as my external linear PSU.

Precisely my point. As good as the little power pack is; I'm very doubtful it's as good as my external linear PSU.

Juice an external ac powerpack is usually just a transformer. So my understanding is that the Klein dac has it's own sophisticated and dedicated Linear psu with external transformer, making an external linear psu irrelevant.

Edited by Ozcall
  • Like 2

Juice an external ac powerpack is usually just a transformer. So my understanding is that the Klein dac has it's own sophisticated and dedicated Linear psu with external transformer, making an external linear psu irrelevant.

I'm attached to mine though....

kecesdc116_002.jpg

Anywho - thanks for the answers; and congrats on what seems to be a Giant Killer @@Gieseler Audio

• Like 1

Having chatted to Clay about how he designed this DAC its secret sauce is indeed its power supply.  Clay has put a lot of work into it.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba
  • Like 3

Picked up a Klein DAC yesterday so it's still early days.

But first impressions...

It's very natural sounding and not overly etched or detailed.

Only tried the USB input so far and it's better with my iFI iUSB power.

I didn't like up sampling with Audirvana.

I prefer the filter switches both being up.

• Like 2

Picked up a Klein DAC yesterday so it's still early days.

But first impressions...

It's very natural sounding and not overly etched or detailed.

Only tried the USB input so far and it's better with my iFI iUSB power.

I didn't like up sampling with Audirvana.

I prefer the filter switches both being up.

@GPK  Just wondering ........ Where is the iFi iUSB power going, I thought the Klein didn't use USB power input ..... mine is running with a USB cable with no power wire ....... ??

Hi guys

Don't know if this is the right place to ask this

But

I have a Nad M51 at the moment

Has anyone compared the Klein to the M51.

I'm interested in the Kline but don't know if it would be an upgrade

I'm gut feeling is yes it would

So if you can help please do

Cheers