Klein DAC owners thread

Gieseler Audio

Just picked up my Klein apRac from Clay this morning

Plugged it in and am presently A B comparing against my NAD M51.

The Klein hasn't been burnt in yet naturally, but first impressions are very positive

Bass seems to be handled better by the Klein. Slightly tighter

The MIds and upper ranges are similar to the NAD so far.

Detail seems to be very good indeed

Will report back as the Dac burns in a week or so.

Clay is fantastic to deal with by the way

Cheers

Hi Bill,

What version firmware are you running on the M51?

Got my Klein DAC this morning! Left it powered on all day. Is that how you 'burn in' a DAC? Never heard of doing that before.

play music through it for a week or more non-stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

OK, yes I hear you guys. I just have to find time to get stuck into the R&D for the Klein DAC 2. The good thing is that all the current hardware is fully compatible for DSD. I just need to implement software control for the AK4490. Software control on the chip wiill also give us access the the fifth filter setting, the so called super filter whitch is supposed to be very good.

• Like 4

Oh my. Just plugged my mac mini into my amp with $2 headphone out cable to 2rca cables eg mac mini is dac (via roon). It is like shaving with a blunt rusty shaver, after selling my psaudio ds dac.

I will have to use vinyl until I get a replacement dac.

I don't think I can wait for the DSD version, if I go with Klein dac. Would there be any upgrade path from the current klein dac to the potential DSD Version?

• Like 2

Hi Demondes,

Yes there will definately be an attractive upgrade path for Klein DAC owners to the DSD version when it comes available.

Bruce is keenly awaiting the arrival of your PS Audio DAC. He is a good friend & lives close by so it will be good to hear a reference standard DAC in his system, not that his AMR DP-777 was bad. It will be good for me too as Bruce's system is serious high end so it will be good to compare the little Klein against the mighty PS Audio DS! Hey Bruce maybe you should host a DAC GTG, after all you now have THREE good DAC's to start the ball rolling.

• Like 1

I don't think I can wait for the DSD version, if I go with Klein dac. Would there be any upgrade path from the current klein dac to the potential DSD Version?

Even if not, the resale of the Klein to someone like me who is happy to buy a used item for a small discount would protect your investment somewhat.

There are also DSD devices that output PCM over USB that I think can plug into the Klein from the get-go.

• Like 1

Thanks all. This is a friendly and informative thread. On the DSD side, to be honest I can let roon or jriver convert to pcm before playback. It is nice to have but not a show stopper since most files are pcm, and maybe 500 dsf files

Clay what's the wait time for current version of the Klein dac?

About two days, just enough time to build one & then soak test overnight.

I only have a couple of pcb's left of the current batch so once they are sold there will be a small delay untill the new boards arrive. They have been ordered but usually take about ten days.

Cheers

Clay

After almost a week of burn in time and listening from everything from the Rolling Stones sticky fingers, to jazz and classical, all I can say is WOW

I have AB tested it against my NAD M51 with most of the tracks

The Nad is certainly a much more aestheticly pleasing piece of kit, with its remote control and screen, but isn't it all about the sound. Well for me it is

The Klein after the burn in period, just keeps getting better

I am hearing more from the tracks than I have ever heard before. A tinkle here a twang there

The bass is much tighter and faster, The mids and upper range is stunning

This is a giant killer. If you can get pa chance to listen to one, please do, I know you will be impressed

Great work Clay

Edited by Bill125812
  • Like 8