Atmos and 3D audio Adventures

Well, after completing the installation of the ceiling speakers, I watched my first ever Dolby Atmos movie, Mad Max Furry Road, on my 7.1.4 setup.

Was I impressed, meh! not really. Oh yeah it was good but delivered less than my expectations, may be my expectations were too high.

I was expecting more discrete/defined sounds from the ceiling speakers, may be it is the movie's sound track!?

Is there any movie that you guys recommend to appreciate Dolby Atmos better?

I did a comparison with the ceiling speakers on & off watching the same scenes from the movie, the difference is not that much between 7.1 setup with virtual presence speakers on and 7.1.4 set-up.

Did I waste my money and efforts and time buying another amp, speakers and installing them not to mention that I have not been subject to WAF yet :unsure:

She is away and definitely won't be happy when she sees 4 speakers poking out of the ceiling and finds outs that I forked out $$$$$ on them and on another amp when she comes back :(

Download the Dolby Atmos Demo disc from "cough"Pirate"cough"bay"cough".

The 2nd or 3rd track is very good - gives you an idea of the sound immersion.

Edited by Sir Triode

Sometimes demo discs can get your hopes up as of course they are a marketing tool. I remember getting very excited about 7.1 after getting a 7.1 demo disc and then there were only a handful of discs ever released in 7.1.

Download the Dolby Atmos Demo disc from "cough"Pirate"cough"bay"cough".

The 2nd or 3rd track is very good - gives you an idea of the sound immersion.

Might try that but u gonna bail me out if I get caught.  :D

Any u can recommend, especially Si Fi or action?, have seen Revenant

think i have mentioned before ... just scroll back in this thread plenty of suggestions. plenty coming too....

oblivion, lucy and survivor on uhd in 5 days time and with 3D audio tracks.

think i have mentioned before ... just scroll back in this thread plenty of suggestions. plenty coming too....

oblivion, lucy and survivor on uhd in 5 days time and with 3D audio tracks.

Yes u did, thanks, just too many threads to follow. :P

• Volunteer

I'm just re watching Game of Thrones from the start as I've now got the Atmos Steelbooks, just on the Battle of the Blackwater in season 2.  The wildfire attack sounds absolutely amazing.  :D

I am however, holding off on watching any movies with 3D audio for a couple of weeks until my second pair of in ceilings arrive.  :D

I'm just re watching Game of Thrones from the start as I've now got the Atmos Steelbooks, just on the Battle of the Blackwater in season 2.  The wildfire attack sounds absolutely amazing.  :D

I am however, holding off on watching any movies with 3D audio for a couple of weeks until my second pair of in ceilings arrive.  :D

am still holding off with game of thrones until the Entire series is released in box set... when the series finally finishes ofcourse which might be in the next decade sometime ! :D 

• Volunteer

am still holding off with game of thrones until the Entire series is released in box set... when the series finally finishes ofcourse which might be in the next decade sometime ! :D

Actually there are only two more seasons left, totaling 13 episodes between the two.     :(  :emot-bang:

Edited by Kazz

am quite enjoying batman vs superman on uhd so far, man has this thing got one of the best 3D audio tracks or what ? things like superman jetting off up into the sky like he does whoosh straight up ! so much going on 3D audio wise. also the sound steering is pretty amazing e.g. with the bat mobile and cars passing and punching through walls and such ... nice ...

am quite enjoying batman vs superman on uhd so far, man has this thing got one of the best 3D audio tracks or what ? things like superman jetting off up into the sky like he does whoosh straight up ! so much going on 3D audio wise. also the sound steering is pretty amazing e.g. with the bat mobile and cars passing and punching through walls and such ... nice ...

Might give it a try, thanks.

If any of you guys with Atmos/DTS:X setups have the movie Riddick on Blu-Ray, check out the scene around 1Hr35min where they are trapped in the station when the storm hits.

Besides the distinct rain and thunder, there are several "critters" running around on the metal roof which, even with my simple 5.1 setup, had me looking up at the roof! And my speakers are all set up at ear level, so I can only imagine how creepy this would sound upmixed and with dedicated height speakers in place.

There is also a scene at around 1hr45min where Johns is getting surrounded by the aliens, this is a truly great scene for showing off side/rear panning effects, again really creepy when watching in the dark

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Riddick-Blu-ray/58896/#Review

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

will do jamie ! love the movie riddick and will be good to check out again. its amazing really how up sampling with 3D audio really brings alive this back catalog stuff :)

ps in some news, it appears Sony is embracing Auro3D as its 3D audio partner,

Sony Blu-ray, 4K Discs to Get 3D Audio Treatment

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/technology/sony-blu-ray-4k-discs-get-3d-audio-treatment/159767

"Belgium-based audio tech company Auro Technologies has inked a deal with Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) to include its Auro-3D sound format on 4K Ultra High-Def Blu-ray Discs, standard Blu-rays and digital versions of the studio’s content."

will look out for releases from them, with auro3D onboard my marantz am ready and equipped :D

be interesting to see what comes forth….

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/08/2016 at 10:32 AM, ufo said:

Did I waste my money and efforts and time buying another amp, speakers and installing them not to mention that I have not been subject to WAF yet :unsure:

She is away and definitely won't be happy when she sees 4 speakers poking out of the ceiling and finds outs that I forked out $$$$$ on them and on another amp when she comes back :(

Just paint the speakers ceiling white and hide the extra amp behind a cabinet door and you should be ok. 

JDH

• 2 weeks later...
  • Volunteer

I've finally gotten around to watching this tonight:

mos_zpsmoff6yhn.jpg

Anyone with an atmos capable system really should give this a spin, this has an amazing atmos track, very dynamic with a lot of overhead speaker involvement.

Definitely reference audio imho.

• Like 2