Japan Record Shops!

• 5 months later...

Have not been to Yellow Pop.

I'm heading back in July with a friend this time which means some extra vinyl shopping compared to my last two trips.  But I still don't expect to purchase more than a dozen albums.  I only buy for personal use.

Anyhow my point being, after booking our hotel in Shinjuku (Hotel Mystays) I did a search for record stores nearby...  This obviously isn't my first time to Japan however my jaw did drop slightly.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Piko
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Piko said:

But I still don't expect to purchase more than a dozen albums.  I only buy for personal use.

12 Lps you just need to go to 1 record shop....HAHA ...Im off next week.Apart from the usual Tokyo Shops I have a 7 day railway pass for the last week which will start in Hiroshima  then Record Shop Hop down to Nagasaki then back to Osaka.Hope to bring back up to 90 records with luggage............

https://www.vinylhub.com/record-stores/Japan?mode=map

Hahaha I'm picky and on a budget that my wife will approve of!  My collection is only around 160 records as is.

Hiroshima is my local haunt in Japan and there are only 2 worthwhile record shops in Hiroshima.  And one is only worthwhile because its a good place to have a beer if you like punk music.  Do it, the owner is a good guy :) (Dumb Records).  The Tower records is alright but very minimal options when it comes to vinyl

Stereo Records (50m from Dumb Records) is easily the best and second hand only and has maybe 10 thousand records in there.   I will spend an hour in there at least before heading to Dumb Records to chill with a beer.  Stereo Records has everything catalogued so you can ask him if they have anything in particular.  Just don't buy anything I want.  Thought I'm expecting you will more likely spend money and help him buy more stock that I like.  So enjoy!  Heads up, I love the fact that he has a solid 90's section. 

Edited by Piko
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

6 hours ago, mondie said:

Wow, that looks impressive Stump. I may be off to Japan later this month myself so will have to go back and study this thread.

Well mondie 

If this is your first trip to Japan your in for a treat.I will send you some info links later so you know what your in for.......

NO, it's amazing how much vinyl there is in Japan. Seems like they always have a "glut" of stuff, especially the Japanese pressings which we covet.

They are looking for original USA & UK pressings and seem to have almost a disdain for the Japanese pressings we love. 

I cannot wait, I'm not going back until October (October 26-Nov 7) but I'm already getting excited. Have airfare booked, and just waiting for my regular hotel (Hotel Century Southern Tower in Shinjuku) to open up reservations for then. They only book about 6 months in advance so I have to wait until next month to get that done.

I end up taking my iPad and photographing every item I'm buying in the store, because they remove all the pricing information after you purchase. If I don't have a photo with the price, I don't remember what I paid! 

It's sort of a pain, because everything is always sealed up, and to check the condition you have to take them to the counter and say "check please". They'll then cut the tape and remove each item and hand it to you for inspection. Light is usually not the best so it's often hard to accurately asses the vinyl condition, just have to make your best guess. 

In Disk Union stores they usually have a grade - A, B, C - on the package. I still find that an "A" item can mean anywhere from VG+ to NM so I ask them to "check please" and sometimes they get annoyed. F**k them though, LOL. I'm paying for the stuff, and if their crazy retail system means you cannot inspect easily, that's on them not on me. I'm always polite, but they do sometimes get annoyed when I bring a stack of 30 items up that are graded "A" and ask to inspect.

I actually remember reading a guy on one of the threads talking about bringing a headlamp with a very bright light on it to use to inspect the vinyl because he said even if it looks good in normal light, it sometimes plays awful. So he invested in a headlamp and looks like the ultimate Record Collector Geek/Coal Miner. LOL! I've actually considered it but don't think I'm willing to look that weird, even though ultimately no one would give me a second look (or say anything).

The other thing that's a pain is that I'm 56, a bit fat, and out of shape. Within the first day of bending over to go through the bins of records - bent at the waist at about a 45 degree angle - my back is f**ked up that I can hardly move in the mornings, and it aches during the day. I have GOT to work on stretching and doing crunches before this next trip. I've already lost 15 pounds (down to 210) and want to get to 195 before the summer and keep it off before the trip.

Last year, I'd be dying all day, have to keep stretching, finding ways to sit down, etc, as I was up at 9AM and into my first store of the day by 10 or 11AM, and usually not heading back home again until about 7 or 8PM. By the time I got home, I'd lay on the bed for a few minutes, and then literally have to roll off of it as my back will have stiffened up to badly. Can't keep doing that!!! 

Anyway, I'll post a few photos of some of the finds from last year, with prices, in my next post.

Mikel in Seattle

www.mightyvinyl.com

• Like 3

Haha I was joking.  As I said in and earlier post, keep buying! You guys buying stuff i wouldn't buy helps shops fund buying stuff a 90's fan would love :)

And yup July/Aug for my 4th trip, its getting closer!  If our dollar gets stronger I may need to put more money on my travel card.  There is almost no chance however if the dollar gets back to 90Y i will take that as a sign.

On 06/03/2017 at 9:43 AM, mightyvinyl said:

I end up taking my iPad and photographing every item I'm buying in the store, because they remove all the pricing information after you purchase. If I don't have a photo with the price, I don't remember what I paid! 

It's sort of a pain, because everything is alwys sealed up, and to check the condition you have to take them to the counter and say "check please". They'll then cut the tape and remove each item and hand it to you for inspection. Light is usually not the best so it's often hard to accurately asses the vinyl condition, just have to make your best guess. 

In Disk Union stores they usually have a grade - A, B, C - on the package. I still find that an "A" item can mean anywhere from VG+ to NM so I ask them to "check please" and sometimes they get annoyed. F**k them though, LOL. I'm paying for the stuff, and if their crazy retail system means you cannot inspect easily, that's on them not on me. I'm always polite, but they do sometimes get annoyed when I bring a stack of 30 items up that are graded "A" and ask to inspect.

I actually remember reading a guy on one of the threads talking about bringing a headlamp with a very bright light on it to use to inspect the vinyl because he said even if it looks good in normal light, it sometimes plays awful. So he invested in a headlamp and looks like the ultimate Record Collector Geek/Coal Miner. LOL! I've actually considered it but don't think I'm willing to look that weird, even though ultimately no one would give me a second look (or say anything).

The other thing that's a pain is that I'm 56, a bit fat, and out of shape. Within the first day of bending over to go through the bins of records - bent at the waist at about a 45 degree angle - my back is f**ked up that I can hardly move in the mornings, and it aches during the day. I have GOT to work on stretching and doing crunches before this next trip. I've already lost 15 pounds (down to 210) and want to get to 195 before the summer and keep it off before the trip.

Last year, I'd be dying all day, have to keep stretching, finding ways to sit down, etc, as I was up at 9AM and into my first store of the day by 10 or 11AM, and usually not heading back home again until about 7 or 8PM. By the time I got home, I'd lay on the bed for a few minutes, and then literally have to roll off of it as my back will have stiffened up to badly. Can't keep doing that!!! 

Anyway, I'll post a few photos of some of the finds from last year, with prices, in my next post.

Mikel in Seattle

www.mightyvinyl.com

Nothing like a soak in a hot tub after a days record shopping.Had a good run last couple of days.Must be close to my weight limit and haven't reached Osaka yet.Staying in a capsule hotel tonight so no pic today.P1040686.thumb.JPG.a70980fc3f310c45fa46770540e056d1.JPGThanks for the headlight tip. Mightvinyl...........

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SamMac said:

Hi all

So the records are new? or used :)

The ones I buy used mainly from the 70s.So the shops I visit are used record shops.If you go to Tower Records Chain you can buy new but I find you can buy the same online for a cheaper price.The exception this trip is a few copies of the Bowie Blackstar Red12 inch 45RPM and The Next Day yellow vinyl only available for the Bowie Is show in Tokyo and fetching 4x the price on eBay.

stump

10 hours ago, Stump said:

The ones I buy used mainly from the 70s.So the shops I visit are used record shops.If you go to Tower Records Chain you can buy new but I find you can buy the same online for a cheaper price.The exception this trip is a few copies of the Bowie Blackstar Red12 inch 45RPM and The Next Day yellow vinyl only available for the Bowie Is show in Tokyo and fetching 4x the price on eBay.

stump

Hello Stump

Thank you for the reply.  I used to use music stack and the stores their to get my vinyl, ive been lucky at the RSPCA opshop before though with the $1 LPs, most are pretty okay - re cracks n pops. Some of the vinyl is cheaper other times it can be more than say buying on ebay or music stack.

Shipping options to Australia.

Its been asked before but who has the best shipping options Tokyo to Adelaide?? Cathy Pacific has only 30 kg business class.lm way over already.$60 US per kg excess is not a option.Anyone in the industry with some tips.l may be 30kg over?

Stump

Yikes, that's awful! I fly JAL and first class allows (3) 32kg checked bags, then my carry-on and a backpack. Same for Business.

I just discovered i can also check up to (7) additional suitcases up to 23kg each at a cost of $200US (20,000 yen) per suitcase. I'm figuring I'll use that instead of Japan mail which I've used the past 2 years to send to USA whatever didn't fit in my luggage allowance. 

I just checked and a 23kg parcel via Japan mail to Seattle would cost (in yen):

Air Mail (8-10 days):  30,000

SAL (2 weeks):  21,650

Surface Mail (2 months): 11,300

So that nails it for me.  I LOVE JAL!!! (And I can book 1st Class using my Alaska Air Frequent Flyer miles - otherwise I could never afford it).

in your cas, I'd suggest packaging very very carefully and using SAL Postage. The Japan Mail offices are convenient and relatively easy to deal with. Cash only.

hope that helps. Now please explain the darned headlamp and tell us if it works!

Edited by mightyvinyl

On 24/05/2015 at 3:19 PM, Stump said:

Seems a few members heading to Japan .I will put up some pics of record shops I found .Shibuya area in Tokyo has Tower Records Disk Union HMV and Reco-fan all within a few minutes of each other as well as specialty record shops..When arriving at Shibuya Station TAKE the Hachiko exit by the big crossing then head right and your in the area!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ll=35.695402,139.669442&t=h&source=embed&ie=UTF8&msa=0&spn=0.069015,0.188937&mid=zTBUW0TOUuzw.kG9avySz_qZU

4th Floor Reco-fan has something for everyone.Gems can be found in the new stock area next to cashier before they are put into there correct area!

Shinjuku Record Union is MASSIVE in used records. 4-5 buildings with 4-5 levels of records.

Tower records for new records is like JB on 5 levels.

Bic Camera is the very best for headphones - literally 000s of pairs.

But plenty of other cities have great record stores. Including Hiroshima particularly. Matsumoto has a couple of very nice hifi stores. Takayama had the best used/opshop/high end hifi store, nagasaki had my fav record store.

Get talking to folks in these stores. I met a record store owner from Melb buying bulk stock a collector from Hon King who had flown in to buy records - plenty of folks on for a chat.

Japan is AWESOME. Not just for records, but its awesome! We spent 5 weeks from Tokyo, Matsumoto, all the way down to Asso, Nagasaki. I am going back next year. LOVE it!

Edited by JPete9
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, mightyvinyl said:

Yikes, that's awful! I fly JAL and first class allows (3) 32kg checked bags, then my carry-on and a backpack. Same for Business.

I just discovered i can also check up to (7) additional suitcases up to 23kg each at a cost of $200US (20,000 yen) per suitcase. I'm figuring I'll use that instead of Japan mail which I've used the past 2 years to send to USA whatever didn't fit in my luggage allowance. 

I just checked and a 23kg parcel via Japan mail to Seattle would cost (in yen):

Air Mail (8-10 days):  30,000

SAL (2 weeks):  21,650

Surface Mail (2 months): 11,300

So that nails it for me.  I LOVE JAL!!! (And I can book 1st Class using my Alaska Air Frequent Flyer miles - otherwise I could never afford it).

in your cas, I'd suggest packaging very very carefully and using SAL Postage. The Japan Mail offices are convenient and relatively easy to deal with. Cash only.

hope that helps. Now please explain the darned headlamp and tell us if it works!

The headlamp pic was a joke for your benefit.Micrsoft have kindly blocked my email until I can verify myself with a SMS.Bit hard when my phone isn't on over hear.No emails and making it hard contacting freight info.Thaks anyhow...