Tasso

Building the ideal(ish) Music Server

Spider27   
2 minutes ago, Chanh said:

No worries...! Enjoy your journey. 

Stepping up from the RPi to 86 architecture, you will instantly be picking up on the timing, resolution and focus to the better, no matter what software you plan using, except JRiver. Not sure if those suit your taste? 

Some liked their sound to be a little coloured and less precise. They believe them as analogue sounding..., because it is graduate, slow, and easy to the human ears... abit like valves gears... some really enjoying the flaw in em... and that is my personal opinion, not necessarily true or fact for all. :)

Thank you and Great to know that NUC x86 architecture better.. :) 

How about between i3 NUC and i7NUC is there any difference other than processing speed?

And, which LPSU would you recommend around $200 budget for NUC?

Thank you. :) 

rmpfyf   

Nice work @Chanh - I see a HD-Plex DC-DC in the mix there. What changed your mind?

Why 2x RAM sticks?

Had some good success with some low-power Xeons recently. I'd think it'd be worth trying a Broadwell-D motherboard at some point (pricey though).

scumbag   
1 hour ago, Chanh said:

30VA? How is about multiplying by a factor of 5? I guess, it is depending on how many more USB-harddrive(s) you plan to connecting? Also if you are using the M.2 Sata or SSD or 2.5" spinal? It is all adding up.... 

Guys - the new Intel 7th gen CPU, is fantastic for linear psu. Power demanding is much forgiving with LPS. 

The stock unit is  19V, 65W - that's the same unit that has been used in every NUC since they started I think so it is a generic power output and they are using benefit of scale. So it may be way in excess of what's really needed in a GEN7 I5 NUC. Still best to have more than you think you'll need than get caught short. ;) 

Chanh   
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rmpfyf said:

Nice work @Chanh - I see a HD-Plex DC-DC in the mix there. What changed your mind?

Why 2x RAM sticks?

Had some good success with some low-power Xeons recently. I'd think it'd be worth trying a Broadwell-D motherboard at some point (pricey though).

Thanks Mate. 

This build was with intend for HQ-Player for the purpose of upsampling to DSD256/512. The owner will be using Roon to HQ-Player into his DSD512 capable DAC. 

Obviously - there is a cost factor in any project. If we were to have a generous budget, I will go all the way with four separated LPUs into my ATX board. It's all coming down to cost. 

Edited by Chanh

rmpfyf   
39 minutes ago, Chanh said:

Thanks Mate. 

This build was with intend for HQ-Player for the purpose of upsampling to DSD256/512. The owner will be using Roon to HQ-Player into his DSD512 capable DAC. 

Obviously - there is a cost factor in any project. If we were to have a generous budget, I will go all the way with four separated LPUs into my ATX board. It's all coming down to cost. 

Fair enough - that's a build with a lot of grunt for the budget then.

Would be keen to hear of your USB/no-USB work. About the pull the trigger on funds for a project there too, we could probably share notes. PM me if you like.

If you're liking the i7 and your tasks run better parallel, you probably want to take a look  at the Xeon-D stuff:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9966/new-gigabyte-server-motherboards-show-xeon-d-round-2

http://b2b.gigabyte.com/Server-Motherboard/MB10-DS0-rev-13#ov (some of these can be had with fibre!)

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/xeon/d/x10sdv-f.cfm

http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=D1541D4I#Specifications

All 35-45W chips, will run passive. There's lesser out there but these are quite low power for what they are. No 3D video - at most a server 2D chip - but you can turn it off and then CPU power is purely dealing with CPU issues, no GPU power requirements to pollute the same power rail. Shorter routes for RAM. Around $750/board (eek!) but that does include the CPU.... and it's quite powerful.

Might be worth a few eBay alerts :) 

kukynas   

finally had time to look at my new delivery, this little devil looks much smaller in real than on the picture, started to install necessary software and applied some tweaks to the win10, at the end bought 4GB version as 8GB was out of stock at that time, preinstalled win10 home edition comes for free so pretty nice addition for those playing on windows based streamers, hopefully will test it over the weekend and report back my findings...

IMG_0569s.JPG

IMG_0570s.JPG

IMG_0571s.JPG

Steve M   

Well, Chanh (Tasso and Liam/Conchblower) are the men for me with computer audio. I have their basic ca build with SotM card and a $500 power supply with Hammond chokes from Chanh that is like his ultimate ps build without the tricks in the computer and Uptone/Hashimoto's in the power supply - but, nonetheless excellent to my ears!

So excellent, that that is my main music source 80% of the time. Though I have to say that a dedicated CD player or transport+good dac or vinyl replay via Moving Coil stage still exceed that outcome ...if push-comes-to shove. :thumb: :)

Cheers,

Steve.

Edited by Steve M

kukynas   

some update on my progress with Beelink...had a chance to compare it back&forth with my current Gigabyte iTX streamer and the outcome is:

Round #1

GB with ULN LPSU connected to the router/NAS via LAN cable and through USB to the amplifier

Beelink with standard brick SMPS connected to the router/NAS via wifi and through HDMI to the amplifier

GB is more detailed but at the same time more aggressive, I didn't notice it before, Beelink is on the other hand more relaxed but missing details, soundstage is kind of flat and imaging is not as pinpoint as it used to be, overall presentation is little boring, it's not night and day difference though 

Round #2  

Beelink with ULN LPSU connected to the router/NAS via LAN cable and through USB to the amplifier, wifi switched off

Beelink has finally same level of details as GB but remain relaxed, soundstage is back and deeper than GB, imaging perfectly defined, overall presentation is nicely balanced and engaging, don't know if it's + or - and not sure if it's caused by more aggressive presentation of GB but now I wanna turn the volume up even more without feeling it's too loud, missis told me it's really too loud :D

It seems that well isolated board combined with on board chips (no cables and sockets) powered by good PSU is the right recipe for very well baked streamer, now just new chassis for PSU and I'm quite happy :)